Aa
A
A
Close
936377 tn?1245175704
Pain Pump Surgery Problems
I had a MedTronic Pain Pump implanted on June 2 2009...within 4 days i was leaking a fluid and red blood out of the incision area. I have a huge hematoma over the pump. I have been going back and forth to the Dr to be checked. I went in yesterday because the nurse wanted to check me and my dr whom did the surgery is now on vacation. Well she tried draining the hematoma with a syringe but due to the blood being old and thick she could not get alot of it out. They were attempting to drain it so they could feel my pump and do a pump o gram to run dye thru the line to see if it had a tear. They seem to think i am leaking spinal fluid somewhere. They had no luck getting to the port to run the dye so now my drs associate is wanting to open me back up for a 2hr surgery and redo it all. I am NOT ready for that...I mean i want to heal but I dont want to do it all again. Is there anyway to safely drain the hematoma so they could do the pumpogram without putting me at risk for infection..i am already a high risk for infection due to the old blood and my incsion not being closed. I have been on Clindamyacin 300mg every 4 hrs since surgery...PLEASE HELP with any suggestions. I have put in a call to the nurse asking if they could put a blood thinner in the hematoma to thin it out and maybe she could get it all drain or possible making a tiny incision with a scalple to drain it and then stitch it closed. I am looking for any option besides jumping into Emergency Surgery to basically do it all over again.
The surgery they are wanting to do ASAP! is to remove the pump,empty the hematoma,remove any dead cell area,run dye thru cath line and if torn repair or replace entire line(which means reopening my spine) and then putting pump back in...
Cancel
1 Answers
Page 1 of 1
547368 tn?1440545385
Hi Jenny,
Welcome to the Pain Management Forum. I am sorry I am tardy with my response. Please forgive me. You may have had to make a decision by the time this is posted.

If not I suggest that you allow the physician to do the surgery. I doubt your suggested procedure would be possible or effective. You risk many more complications if you don't have this taken care of asap.

Please let us know how you are doing. I am concerned and will look forward to your updates. Hang in there. I am sure you are tired of surgery and pain. Best of luck.

Peace,
Tuck
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Avatar universal
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
Your Answer
Avatar universal
Answer
Do you know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Answer
Post Answer
A
A
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Pain Management Community Resources