Pain Management Community
Pain Spasm Pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Pain Spasm Pain

Hey folks,

I have been in a chronic pain condition for the last 14 months on my neck and back. Multiple docs etc don't find anything definitive until finally being told that it's a pain spasm pain cycle and that i need to be on some kind of anti depresseant like cymbalta.. Apparantly my OCD and anxiety is not helping.  I think it's a bunch of shaite and there is no way I am getting on them. NO WAY.

However, is there any other way, other than SSRI's to break the spasm/pain cycle. I though of trying the st johns wort but it can affect your eyeys, what about 5htp?

Is there any other way
Hello Dreeft...

You've asked a good question.  I may not be able to answer it effectively. Cymbalta is not for muscle spasms. It is used off label to help with pain management regardless if you have anxiety or depression issues.

Have they prescribed a muscle relaxant for you? That's the usual choice in managing spasms. If not, why not?

I apologize that I know nothing about natural remedies. You might want to try acupuncture. It was an acupuncturist that suggest what she believed to be the right supplements to help pain and spasms. Sometimes a pharmacist will also offer their input. So consulting your local pharmacist may be a good idea.

Maybe some of our members will have better suggestions. Remember to be cautious about mixing herbs and supplements to your current meds. It's the reason I always suggest consulting your pharmacist. They are the experts in medications.

I wish you well and hope to hear from you soon.

Peace,
~Tuck
thanks for the imput Tuck.

Well the theory is, as far as the doc (internist is concerned) is that my brain is still out of whack  and interpreting pain when it's not there. Signals between spine and brain. I basically hurt my neck/ spine and since they can't see anything wrong, they conclude some kind of imbalance. SO the cymbalta for them is a god send as far as I am concerned both in terms of pain and ocd/gad.

I don't know if what I am feeling is spasm or what, I have never had anything like this. It's like being stung by a bee in the muscles all over the back.

I don't know, I don't want to take meds when I don;t know what the issue really is.  

I tend to agree with you thoughts. Finding a diagnosis when you have chronic pain can be difficult. I also think that when you have OCD or a similar diagnosis sadly physicians can be too quick to blame that for a difficult to diagnosis pain.

It may be interesting for you to know that I have no such diagnosis and yet I was still told the same by several physicians. It was how my brain was perceiving the sensations ... but their thought were it was not true pain. I thought they were full of bologna and later proved them wrong when there was a valid and measurable reason found for my chronic pain. So I feel for you and your situation.

It was an Internal Medicine D.O. (Doctor of Osteopathy) that finally diagnosed me correctly. I don't know if you have consulted a D.O. but in my opinion, it can't hurt. Look for one that is skilled in performing OMT (Osteopathic Manipulation Therapy).  Females seem to do the best. Some D.O.s have magic hands..... again in my opinion. And PLEASE, no one take offensive by my personal opinion and experience with female D.O.s. I readily admit that there are excellent males in this profession also.

I wish you the best and hope that you will keep in touch. We're all in this journey through Chronic Pain together and support can be so beneficial.

Peace,
~Tuck
Thanks Tuck, Much appreciated.

yeah I have seen many doctors and have had many different theories. From Low T, low Thyroid etc. I might have been making a mistake be telling them my previous experiences with the OCD "diagnosis."

I've been "OCD" my whole live and NEVER had pain. I have been through emotional stress in epic proportions but I have never had such issues so it's hard for me to accept this.

The reason I came here is that I am willing to accept that Pain Spasm Pain cycle to an extent and looking for more natural easier ways to address the issue. Maybe Trying St Johns Wort, or was considering doing an epidural injection  of some kind to calm the nerves, maybe they do the same thing right? I don't know. I hate meds, and have trouble taking aspirin so it makes it tons harder.

I hear you.

There are pharmacists and other health practitioners that are very up on natural remedies. We have a natural health clinic in our area. They prescribe or recommend lots of natural herbal remedies and supplements. You might want to goggle that in your area. It's always best to have founded suggestions rather then trial and error in this instance.

I wish you well and hope to continue to hear from you.
Thanks, I will start researching. I am looking at st . Johns wort, though I heard it gives you bad sunburns and can damage eyes.