Pain Management Community
Pain and Slight Numbness In Fingertips After Drinking

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

I experience mild pain and slight numbness in my fingertips after a night of medium alcohol consumption (a beer and 3-4 glasses of wine). 24yo Male, no other symptoms, nail biter.
Hi Foldier,

Welcome to the Pain Management Forum. Everyone responds to alcohol differently, some ppl more so than others. I'm sorry but I do not know specifically what may have caused your symptoms. Alcohol consumption cause dehydration but I doubt your fingertips would be numb.

If they go away and never return it may just be a freak occurrence or it may not be related to the alcohol at all. Could you have slept in an unusual position? If your symptoms do not subside or they return next time you drink I would certainly seek a clinical explanation.

Sorry I have no specific answers for you. Others will post that may be able to offer you better suggestions.  Best of luck and please keep in touch.
Tuck
i really do not see a connection between moderate alcohol consumption and pain or numbness in the fingers either..really should be opposite as alcohol acts as a relaxer for many...I would get it checked as it could be a nerve/disc problem ..could be neck, carpal tunnel, even poor perfusion to ur extremities..I would get it checked by a dr for sure
thanks for your replies, guys. appreciate it. i'll have an MD check it out.
I've had that happen to me a day ago and my middle finger in my left hand is still numb. i might go see a doctor if it's still numb tomorrow...but i'm sure as hell not drinking that much again. (drank several shots of lambanog, gin, vodka, brandy and beer all in one night)
You are describing the symptoms of peripheral neuropathy - people who have a regular alcohol intake (usually medium to large amounts) are suceptible to this -- it is often seen in alcoholics. (although I'm not saying you are an alcoholic!!)
If you are only noticing these symptoms after consuming alcohol, it is highly likely that this is what is causing this.
I know you say you get this after 'medium alcohol consumption' - but the key is in how often do you drink this amount? If it's over 3 times per week, that level of alcohol consumption can cause peripheral neuropathy. How many alcohol free days do you have a week? I can't tell from your post, but you say you notice this after a drinking session, and it sounds like you have noticed the pattern of the symptoms after the alcohol consumption.
If you drink this amount only, say, once a week - it may be that you are particularly suseptible to it.
If you only very rarley drink this amount - the symptoms would have nothing to do with alcohol intake and its just coincidence and something else entirely.
If it is alcohol induced peripheral neuropathy (and I'm not saying it is because I don't know how regularly you drink) it is reversable when alcohol consumptions stops or is reduced.
This happens to me too. 26 years old.. I Never drink alcohol and have a very healthy diet and exercise everyday... But two days ago i drank some shots..drank plenty of water Aand despite l feel The same symptoms as you. I know its alcohol related cos this happened me once one night In which i drank some vodka cocktails.. Some say is gout but i dont have other symptoms related and this seems to happen only with alcohol. My friends do not have this symptoms and they DO drink.. Really do.