Pain Management Community
Pain and medication

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Pain and medication

I was wondering, I have a primary care physician and a pain management specialist. Right before I got my visit for my pain management my PCP wrote me a prescription for hydrocodone APAP 10 500 with 5 refills. My pain specialist originally told me to just take what I had left from my PCP but take 2 at time if it helps. So i did so, couple days passed and I realized by me doing that i was going to run out sooner and insurance wont cover an early refill, so I called my pain specialist and he gave me a script for oxycodone 15 mg Q 120. Ok i thought this is fine. Now that means a total of 4 a day and sometimes I have to take a half or 5 a day again making me run out 1-5 days before the new script can be written. I asked the doc to wright me a script early but to put a date on it when it can get refilled because I was leaving town. He put it on the exact day the 30 days were up. And im going to be 4 days short. He was already upset that I was taking half or one extra a day so I said I would compensate by taking only 3 one day which I lied because he seems upset. So would I get in trouble if I went to my regular pharmacist and had them fill my hydrocodone Q 90 and only use what is needed then go to a different pharmacy and give them the oxy script and put away the hydros. What ramifications could this have? Otherwise I am going to have to buy on the black market. I have a disk perfusion and fluid missing between L4 and L5. I’ve been on pain medications for 5 years. So not only would my pain come back full force but I would have withdrawals.
Hi and welcome:)
You can not have the Lortab filled as when your PMP prescribed you the oxycodone that was to replace the Lortab. If I am reading your post incorrect please forgive me.
The ramifications of filling both scripts will be very bad for you. it is not only illegal but if either doctor finds out they will cut you off and you will be red flagged.
Once your red flagged you will find it very difficult to find a doctor to treat your pain if at all.
You must try and make the oxycodone last. This medicine is stronger than the Lortab so you should be able to make it last until your next refill.
What your doing could also be considered doctor shopping. You need to cancel the Lortab prescription and let your PCP know that you did receive another narcotic prescription from your PMP.
I hope things work out:)
You are in a catch twenty-two! I have been in the same situation also, so I understand. I would be careful because if one doctor sees that you filled another prescription, they can discharge you. one idea, is to go to a different pharmacy and pay cash-it might work.
sunshine0428
I'm really confused here. So you have a script for hydro that if too early to refill so you got another script for oxy that you're taking more than the script is written for so you're going to run out early.

How would you be able to get the oxy filled again and the hydro at a different pharmacy. That does not make sense. Your insurance does not care what pharmacy you use. They care that the script is written for x amount of days and they wont pay for it until you've run out. You cannot pay cash for a controlled substance if you are early. It does not matter if you have insurance or not, it's how the script is written by your doctor.

Also if your PM doctor know and told yo to keep taking the hydro than I don't think you would be discharge for taking them both at the same time. He would not have written you a script for oxy or he would have told you to stop taking the hydro.

You need to be more clear with this. You've written it in a very confusing way.
It is my understanding that the PMP doctor wrote the oxycodone to replace the Lortab.
I just do not see a doctor jumping from 20mg of hydrocodone to that plus 15mg of Oxycocone too. I believe the PMP doctor meant that the oxycodone was replace the Lortab.
Your riding a very fine line here. Getting narcotics from two different doctor is illegal and as I said if they find out you will be without any help at all.
The oxycodone is stronger than the 20mg Lortab so I think the doctor did mean this was to replace the lortab.
It is never okay to have one narcotic paid for by insurance and then use another pharmacy to get another narcotic with cash. It is illegal an I would strongly advise you not to do this!
Hi alxvog,

I want to welcome you to the Pain Management Forum and let you know that we are glad that you have found our Forum.  We want you to understand that there are NO Doctors on this Forum only CP (Chronic Pain) Patients that help each other thru their own experiences and expertise from their OWN CP conditions.

I REALLY hope that you will listen to Sandee and runitskat as they are trying to help you stay out of trouble wiht your PMP.  You DON'T want to lose your PMP  as that would be devastating to you with ALL of the pain that you are in!!

Please try to make them last. If you could stay in bed or just around the house for one day and take the THREE that you told your Dr. you would and then take ONLY what's recommended you should be OK.

I wish you the best of luck.  Please keep us updated on how you are doing...Sherry
I wanted to add that if you go to a different place and pay cash for the oxycodone your dr still can find out. They can print a list of all pain meds that you have filled and it will be on there that you filled another script.
So paying cash don't hide anything.
Jamie
Please do not get both of the prescriptions filled.  Everything everyone is stating is correct.  You could legally get in trouble for paying cash for one prescription, you also could have your pain doctor drop you as a patient, very quickly, and also you may want to look and see if you've signed a contract with the doctor and they are doing random urine tests.  I'm sure your PMP doctor was not stating to continue to take the hydros all the time with the oxycodone, which means your urine test will come up with extra medication.  It's so difficult to get a great pain doctor, and to get on medication that works for you, please do not take the chance by trying to fill one prescription early.  Please talk to your pain doctor and explain that the oxycodone amount is still not breaking through the pain and see what else he can do for you.  Please feel free to read through peoples posts, this question has came up a few times, and the situation has not turned out good for most of the patients that took too much medication.  

Thanks for posting on the site, hope you'll let us know how you're doing!

Karen
Listen to al the people on here,if you try to fill it they will fing out, look below

**********************************************************************************************************
As of July 2010, 34 states have operational PDMPs that have the capacity to receive and distribute controlled substance prescription information to authorized users. States with operational programs include:

Alabama, Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Nevada, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia, and Wyoming.

Seven states (Alaska, Florida, Kansas, New Jersey, Oregon, South Dakota and Wisconsin) and one U.S. territory (Guam) have enacted legislation to establish a PDMP, but are not fully operational.

*Washington State's PDMP was operational but has been suspended due to fiscal constraints.
Thanks for all your comments, I wanted to clarify. My PMP did originally tell me to take 2 20 mg hydros for my pain if it worked and that I shouldn’t of gotten that prescription filled since i signed the medication contract ( this was a couple weeks ago mind you) and it was from my PCP. So i went about taking 2 at a time and called to see what I should do because I was going to run out. They said they voided my drug contract and to stick with my PCP prescription (PMP nurse said this) so I said ok. Couple days went by and realized my insurance would not cover an early refill and called my PMP back, this was when he gave me the oxy. I didn’t know anything about this drug except that it said take one every 6 hours as needed. So i did but again pain would occur sometimes within 3 hours so I would take a half or full one. Thus creating me to run out early. ( keep in mind: pharmacies will let you refill 5 days early from what the refill says for hydro, which is what i always relied on. So with my pcp i would get 90 pills 4 times a day = 22.5 days - 5 = 17 days ( which I would need 6-7 pills daily and this worked for me with the hydro 90 pills every 17 days) I expected the same with the oxy, when I called to ask for a early script ( not an early refill) i wanted it in hand so I could rely on the 5 day difference from pharmacy but no, they wrote the exact day the prescription should run out on the paper script. So when i mentioned I needed to take a half or full one in addition to what the pmp said the nurse got upset and said he never authorized that. And im not one to argue nore do I have time to schedule an appt just to explain to the doc I need 5 a day. So for those who said not to get both I already picked up the hydro, but haven’t touched it yet nore will i unless i have to. And just to be safe I will go to a different pharmacy to fill the hydro when it I can get it filled. If I get a call or have a problem im hopping I can give him the remaining hydrocodones and explain the situation.. if he drops me then he drops me and I will continue going to my pcp, i really hope it doesn’t come to that but if they weren’t so scary to talk to, and listen more I wouldn’t have to feel like im sinning. Hopefully it won’t get back to him and honestly this happened to me once when I got my shoulder surgery i was getting Percocet and hydrocodone. One from my pcp and one from clinic, this clinic kept giving me Percocet for 6 months and I was getting hrdrocodeone from PCP. I didn’t know I wasn’t suppose too. And Walgreens after 6 months said we need to notify your doc that your getting prescriptions from 2 different places. I said ok. That was it. So im hopping for the best, if you still have suggestions of how I can bring this to my pmp attention without getting him mad please let me know. I do care what he thinks of me and I hate getting in trouble. And I do have 90 hydrocodones sitting there and wont touch till I need to, I still have some oxy but they are running out. Im sorry but no pain medication will block pain for 6 hours. 4 at max even with oxy 15 mg. Im sure if he gave me morphine it wouldn’t last 6 hours.
Well, MSContin, (morphine ER) lasts longer than 6 hours as it is a long-acting pain med rather than a short-acting pain med like hydro or oxy.  
I don't know what you could say to the doctor about all of this.  I've had the same problem with taking too many roxycodone (throwing them up and having to take another actually) but I just stretched the rest of them out at the end of the month, taking only 3 a day instead of 4.  My doctor does acknowlege that they only last about 3 hours and I am always honest with him about how many I've needed to take at a time, etc.  

The thing is, you called your doctor and he told you to make the oxycodone last.  Then you had a seperate script filled which may have violated your contract.  
I really don't know what to tell you other than try to make the oxycodone last.  I know it's not comfortable and if you feel like you're in agony, you should call the doctor and let them know that the meds aren't working as prescribed.  Some doctors still won't do anything for you about that, though, and then you just have to suffer until the next appt.  
I really don't know what to tell you about it all except that you could get in trouble for getting the lortabs filled and taking them.
Welcome. There are so many supportive people here!

Does your PCP know that you filled both prescriptions? If not, then unfortunately you could get dropped by both doctors. I think that you will get dropped by your PMP. You violated the contract. You knew what you were doing.

Can you make an appointment with your PCP to tell him what happened?

I don't think that there's any "good way" to tell your PMP. To me, it looks like you doctor shopped. I think you will get dropped if he finds out. Can you make an appointment and tell him that the oxycodone is not helping your pain?

Jaded is right, long acting morphine lasts longer than six hours.

I understand that you feel under-medicated, but the end result of what you did could be not having any doctor willing to treat you with pain medications. I think you should call your PCP and talk to him to see what he says. If you signed a contract, then it is most likely voided.

Once you get red-flagged, you will have trouble getting treated with medications. I tried to be gentle in my post, but I really think that you made a huge mistake by filling the hydrocodone. I understand that you have pain, but the risk that you took (IMO) was not worth the consequences. Wow.

Flower
They told me weeks ago that they would void my pain contract so I can continue with my PCP pain meds so I did for about a week called, and said im going to run out so they wrote me a script for oxy. Do they have the power to void and re initiate my drug contract.. and I didn’t break the contract. I was about too but I was going to show up at his office and hand him the hydrocodone still in the package stapled and tell him what I was about too do. Why would he drop me for not taking any, giving him the rest, and telling him the issue? Not only do I have pain but I also have generalized anxiety disorder meaning I worry about everything and you guys are freaking me out. lol I know i messed up but I haven’t consumed any of thy hydros.  There has to be a way not to get in trouble here. I was preparing to break the contract but I didn’t yet.
Sorry that you have anxiety. Yeah, maybe if you take in the unused medication and tell him what happened, he'll understand. I'm sorry that I said that you broke the contract. I really have never been in this situation before. I think that it depends on the doctor, but maybe if you bring in the hydrocodone and talk to him, he'll understand.
Count this as a learning experience and hope your PMP will overlook it since you're new to pain management.

You have run out of two prescriptions from two different doctors too early because you ignored the prescribing instructions on the bottles.  Doctors do not take kindly to that kind of behavior as evidenced by your own comment:  "He was already upset that I was taking half or one extra a day..."  Of course you were going to run out early!  When the prescribing instructions state "one to two every 6 hours as needed" that means ONLY every 6 hours.  "As needed" doesn't mean you ALWAYS take two and if you still have pain you get to take more.  It also doesn't mean that you always get to take two in every 6 hour period.  You've already counted the pills and determined that taking them that way will result in running out early.  So don't do that and you won't run out.

The goal of pain management is "management."  That means that your doctor will TRY to get your pain to a manageable level so you can get on with living.  I doubt there is one chronic pain patient who can say that they have zero pain whether opiate therapy is on board or something non-narcotic or even non-pharmaceutical.  There is always a certain amount of background noise and often pain spikes that occur in any given month.  The goal is to avoid those pain spikes as much as possible.

You admit you have anxiety and that alone increases pain.  By obsessing on your pain, on the number of pills you have and the refill dates, your anxiety and pain levels increase.  Distraction is something you need to learn to get away from that reaction.  Your brain gets stimulated (pain); you respond (take more meds than prescribed); and you get rewarded (pain relief).  Uh oh!  Now you're in trouble because you're going to run out.  Do you see how your reaction to pain is getting you into trouble?  Try to distract yourself from that knee-jerk reaction of taking more meds.  Recognize it when it happens and turn to something to keep your mind occupied like reading a book, hanging out here at MH, listening to music - anything to get your mind off your pain and your eyes off the clock.

I am not saying these things to hurt you.  I only want you to recognize that your behavior has to stop or you may find yourself without any pain management at all.  Self-medicating is a pit you cannot let yourself fall into.  Doctors do not adjust meds to suit this kind of behavior.  End of story.  Take your meds as prescribed, and only as prescribed.  If it's not working out, you tell your doctor what is happening and let HIM make any necessary prescribing adjustments.  Ask him to put a daily maximum of pills you can take per day on the bottle.  That will help you more easily keep track of them and ensure you won't run out early.
I have GAD as well and I know how the worry just runs over and over again through your mind.  Especially when you're in pain and anxious about being in pain.  It can feel hopeless.  In your situation you are on a medication that is stronger than what you were previously on, so in that case one would expect it to work for you without you needing more than prescribed.  I understand the stress of being in pain and not suffering if there is no need to suffer, however, with PM honesty is the best policy.  I think everyone here appreciates your honesty with us.  
The thing about your post is that you admitted that you lied to the doctor when you told him you would take 3 a day.  Sometimes taking less is just what you have to do if they give you X number of meds to last 30 days. A lot of people here have made errors and had to go without their meds for days, most will never make that error again.  Are you really going out of town or did you tell him that to get the prescription filled earlier?

An important thing to know about PM is that the meds are not to put us completely out of pain, they are to make it bearable.  Maybe even comfortable, so that we can live somewhat normal lives, but not as if we never had an injury or condition.
The thing about filling prescriptions from two doctors is that people do that every day who are not in pain, and only seeking the drugs.  This makes it harder for CP patients like us who are honestly in pain to get the help we need.
Perhaps if you call the doctor on Monday, explain that your medication is not working, and ask for an appt ASAP, they will see you and you can explain everything in person, bringing the medication with you, that's really the only way I can see that you can make it right again.
GREAT post, Jaybay!
Yes, that IS a great post, Jaybay.  I am guilty of obsessing over the pain.  I need to break the cycle.  
We have some great forum members here.  I'm so thankful for all of you.
I do appreciate all the answers and I do feel your right. I lied about going out of town so I could at least get the paper script, under the assumption I could take advantage of the insurance / pharmacy 5 day grace period. I would have waited till 5 days before to get the refill// I have an appt on the 17 of aug.. 10 days after I will get it refilled by their standards to speak about the cortisone injections.  I’m hoping that the pharmacy doesn’t notify him that I picked up the hydro and if they do I will present them to him and give him the rest because in 5 days I will run out of the oxy ( will try not to but prolly will) and i will open the hydrocodone. Ok guys will check back in, have to get to work :0) . Thanks again.
Thanks again for being honest.  So you will be out of oxycodone in 5 days and your appt isn't until Aug 17th?  That IS a stretch.  I don't know what to tell you except make sure when you go to your next appt to tell your doctor that you've had to take more per day and had to take the lortabs because you ran out early.  

You could really get in trouble for getting prescriptions from two different docs, but we have told you that up and down and you know it.
Question for everyone// i took a shot in the dark asking this question expecting no response from anyone but how on earth do you guys find time to respond so quickly and find time to make it back to my post to add more.. It boggles my mind cause I was just sitting at work and took 5 min to post something really quick and during the weekend around midnight took a look. And there was like 10 responses HOW. do you guys find time. I would love to be able to assist people when they have questions. I just got married in May, im 26 with no children, and 4 dogs. It’s awesome you people are hear to help, I needed this information but too bad you guys cant get paid for your responses. You took time out of your day to respond to a stranger’s question. I could be a drug addict trying to find ways to cheat the system but you guys actually see me and understand me. Don’t get me wrong after 4 years of being on pain medication there is an addiction and would need to be slowly taken off my medication once the pain is controlled. But thank you for the professional responses and respecting me. I have another question. I did have low testosterone and never wanted to be sexually active.. I do just hardly ever. My PCP gave me cream to put on shoulder and it did in fact raise my testosterone levels to normal but don’t want to be romantic or sexually active hardly ever. Its very frustrating and not fair to my wife. Any suggestions?? She does everything to try and make me interested, she is beautiful. I don’t look at any other woman in a sexual manner. I just don’t ever want it.
Thank you from EVERYONE on the Forum for the compliments!! All of us are CP (Chronic Pain) Patients. There are SEVERAL of us that Disabled from our different Pain issues. Many others that aren't as of yet and are still able to keep working, but they will eventually wind up being on Disability.  ALL of us would MUCH rather be Healthy and NOT have to take the Pain meds that we have to take. Someone is ALWAYS on line and we do our VERY best to Respond and at least WELCOME the individuals even if we don't know anything about their problems and reassure them that SOMEONE that DOES understand will be along at a later time.

We do our BEST to not judge as we know that ALL of us are pretty much DEPENDENT upon our medications just to be able to get up in the mornings and in my case I need it to be able to use a cane to walk and NOT my Walker!! We are ALL at different places in our pain and we are able to HELP each other thru the different stages that our pain will be going thru.  

Don't automatically think that you are addicted as it may be that you are DEPENDENT on your meds. I'm going to give you a SIMPLIFIED version of the meaning, I hope that I'm saying this the correct way!! If you HAVE to have your pills because of your pain that
then that is Dependency BUT if it is because you are CRAVING them and it has NOTHING to do with your pain then that is Addiction. In other words a Physical Dependency IS NOT AN ADDICTION!!!  I hope that you understood that. I'm POSITIVE that someone else will be along and be able to gie you a BETTER and more in depth answer!!  :)

We're VERY happy that you are here and hope that as time allows you will be able to help some people (and I DO mean as time allows you).  

As far as your LAST question is concerned I want you to know that there is a FORUM for your problem also.  If you would go to the SEXUAL HEALTH Forum and ask that question there I think you will get the help that you need. I don't have any expertise as far as what  medication may do as far as the Sexual Drive is concerned in men.

Some others may be along that CAN answer your last question but it probably will heop you to post on the other Forum as well. YOu are welcome to post on as MANY Forums as you like!!  :)

I wish you the very best and we are VERY glad that you are here!!!.....Sherry

PS CONGRATULATIONS on your Marriage!!  I wish you and your Bride a HAPPY life together!!
very well said, one thing i found out is tell no one you are on pain meds. I feel people judge you. That is my experience and will just tell my wife,

This is a great group, i found it by typing a question into google, they have GREAT PEOPLE with great answers. Some people will cheat and get info for there next appt to find ways to get meds and i think people know what i am saying, but overall its great.

God Bless

Jay ;)
That's a VERY good choice to ONLY tell your wife!! Even other members of your family have NO business to know what meds you are taking!!!

By the way, I feel the same way about MH. I, TOO, found it by Googling about the Fentanyl Patches that I use.  SOOOO happy that I GOOGLED that day!!

Best of Luck and God Bless you...Sherry
Hi and I would also like to welcome you ! We do have some wonderful ,knowledgeable members here as you have already seen .The people here are also very ,caring as well .I thank God that I found this forum (thanks to google) as well .It is so hard to suffer with pain and the support I get from here makes it so-o much easier to cope . I can't give you any better advice than you have already gotten here but I just wanted to add my welcome .Congratulations on your marriage .I wish you and your bride a happy, long life together . Take care Melissa
Just a quick comment on your sex drive query.  Decreased or complete loss of sex drive is an unfortunate side effect of opiate therapy.  I have yet to read of any other medication that is effective in that regard.  I'm glad you brought it up since lack of sex drive is just one more problem we CP patients and our spouses/ significant others must learn to deal with.  It's also an important issue to consider when embarking on opiate therapy, and I have yet to hear of any doctor that brings up the issue.  They're more focused on addiction and abuse issues than anything else.

There are a few terms every opiate therapy patient and their families should be aware of.

Tolerance and physical dependence are normal with opiate therapy.  If you take opiates long term, you WILL go into withdrawal if they are suddenly withheld.  Withdrawal does not mean that patient is an addict.

Addiction is a psychological problem that involves craving for the euphoria of narcotics.  An addict will lie, cheat or steal to achieve that euphoria despite the negative consequences of the behavior.

Pseudo-addiction refers to a person who displays some of the behaviors of an addict, but the underlying reason for the behavior is due to the pain being undertreated.  You don't hear much about this because most people, including doctors, jump right to the addiction conclusion.

Hope that helps clarify things a bit better.  :-)
Hi, innate been on hydrocodone 10 325. My scripts have been for 9 per day ,so I was getting 270  a month and always running short by a eel. The doc would then give me a script for 10 a day = 70 then I would be able to get my refill from pharmacy I have one more refill left for 270 of course ran short this tme doc gave me a sciript for 300 9 per day max of 10 with one refill. I con know what to do should I get this filled at another pharmacy then go back to the old one and get my 270 or should I go to the pharmacy and explain what happened and fill the 300 one and scratch the 270 one . I am 66 on Medicare . I would appreciate any advice
Repost as a new question. This is a very old post. You will get more responses that way. In my opinion your new script is meant to replace the old one since it was not lasting you. Call your doctor's office if you r not sure. If you don't have any meds left then go ahead and fill it to replace the other one.
Thank you
I don t have any left and this happens every month. Should I fill it vat thevsame pharmacy. In other words I should not tre to play games and go to another store to get extras.
Please begin a new post instead of attaching your questions on someone old thread. You'll obtain better responses.

Thank You,
~Tuck
Thanks Tuck, new at this.  I went to pain management and posted there.  Hope I did it right
Hi I've been going to a pain management doc in Louisiana for about a year since I've had 2 back surgeries I was also seeing a neuriligist for cluster headaches they both prescribed roxicodone one for 15 mgs and one for30. Now my pain mg doc says that I broke my co.tract . Will I be able to go to a diff pain management doc he says he can still treat me just not with narcotics which I need to control my pain what can I do please help
Hi stevied70427,

This post is over a year old.  Would you please go to the top of the page and begin a "new" post and ask your question.  That way you will get a lot more answers than you will attaching it to someone else's post.

Thank you..........Sherry  :)
Hope you guys can help,somewhat complicated. My MD says I have been red flagged for years. He sent me to pain management in 2004, I had to guit going due to the fact I went to jail ( trafficking ) not my pain management meds but meds from a surgeon that PM was aware of me optaining. I don,t know if they know bout this or not( my charge)  I didn,t really sell them anyway! This girl that worked at very reptable place where I live had been doing my hair for years and somtimes I would give her some or she would knock off some of the bill. She wore a wire on me to keep herself out of trouble. Now back to the future, my back has gotten alot worse in the past few years, had a really bad MRI 2 weeks ago. MD still won;t give me anything except ultram 2, 3times aday. He said I needed to be monitered and due to my liver problems put back on OC or Fenytl patch. that was what I was on before ( 100 mgs ) and 20,s. I,m concerned that since he referred me that they will know what all has been going on in the past few years! Even though MD said I did need somthing but he couldn,t write it. what do you guys think!!!
  I was not aware of this until recently but I heard a new patient outside my PMP discussing the fact that they would not accept him because he had a drug record. I do not know how this fits into the HIPPA laws but I believe Tuckamore would know. She is another community leader here.
As far as the Doctor not being able to write you narcotics because you have been red flagged, this is true.
You may want to ask him if he would be able to monitor you closely to build up trust. There is hope. Many have had problems such as getting medications from two different Doctor's and have been caught.
If he is not willing to ask him if he could refer you to someone who would.
Now I would like to address the issue of trading or selling medications. As you know his makes it so hard on those who need pain management.
I assume the trip to jail was a learned lesson so i will leave it.
I hope you do find some help:)
i am new and wondering if i might have a problem after my hardware removal surgery this wednesday,my pcp gave me a 30 day supply of ultram on june 11 and my doctor knows i am having surgery,and my surgeon knows i am taking the ultram as well,but when the surgeon prescribes me percocet for my pain i am worried the pharmacy will give me a hard time because of the remaining 2 weeks of ultram. and there is know way in hell that will control my post op pain,last year i had the same surgery and it hurt!should i have my surgeon or doctor wite the pharmacy like a note because of all the new laws and stuff?
As a PMP office manager, I can tell you that by filling ANY narcotic that is not written by your pain management DR after you sign a contract is against the rules and you are subject to discharge. We pull the PDMP for every patient and if there are any prescriptions filled from other dr's then we do an automatic dc.
In florida anyway-filling ANY c/s script is on ALL SCRIPTS every dr.has it and use it,please i know this for a fact..  DANNY    Would advise not to do it,cash or not its recorded,be careful..............
I am a Pain management anesthesiologist (MD) and came on to this site while looking for a Florida law siute against a pharmacy that was settled for about $50 million.
I I am really impressed by most of you who are giving very good, sound advise on the ethics of apin management.
As the office manager said in a previous comment, we can check on the PDMP and see what controlled substance prescription was filled and written by which doctor and the dates etc. So it is not worth your while trying to cheat the doctors.
Every 19 minutes some body is dying in the US from prescription medication over dose. All of you
think that it is not going to happen to you!
Take care.
Dr.
Hello people I don't normally use these forums but I have a question,,,,I have a super nice doctor very understanding,,,I suffer with back pain due to car accident.Anyway my doctor gives me 60 lortab 10's a month my job is very physically demanding how do I ask him for 90?
its very simple here, your addicted to pain meds..... and are either enjoying the buzz or scared of withdrawls.... its seems you have an excuse for everything other than admiting you got the loratab because you are taking so many oxys and need something to fall back on when they run out..... the next step you have to do is admit that you are taking even more than you are saying because im sure thats also a lie i mean you already told us your a liar you lie to your own doctor to get more of the drug with the most commonly used excuse to get an early refil at that... leaving town...... if you ask me i would say you are selling the loratab to buy more oxy on the street, or trading them the drug world for pills is very common and ran the same way by so many differnt people they know what they have and know it sells on the street. you did say yourself about obtaining threw the black market basically telling us you know thats an opition and more than likely done that, the problem i notice is have you have been to any sort of rehab class or know anyone else thats has been to one?you are showing all the signs of a known addict first comes lies and lies about anything to get the drug.... in denial about it, has excuses for everything, the last thing would be stealing to get it... not at all saying you are stealing but in way your kinda stealing from the pharmacy, alot of people have gone threw the addiction of perscription pain killers, aside from all that, you have now violated every order that your doctor stated not to do.... and to make it worse...im sure he asked you as well before signing your contract do you understand all this..... I also get 180 10mlg norcos from my doctor per month i was started on 120 per month and was very honest with him i called after a few months and said to him i have been taking more then 1 every 6 hours i looked up and did research on the medicatin and it states i can take one every 4 hours if needed i called 3 weeks into my month and said i am going to run out tomorrow and told him the truth, i said i will have to wait another week to get it but if there was anyway to make the quanity more, and told him i could easily buy them on the streets... but would never do that, and thats why i am calling... but if he didnt think it was going to be good giving me more per month then i surley wouldnt do that and i would go one week out of the month with out if needed and would happily take a urine test to prove im not taking it  the last week he kinda laughed and said no its not a problem . i took my honesty to him and with no hesitation or app. he called in the next day when i ran out for 180 per month, instead of making me wait the week i got it when  needed i didnt lie or beat around the bush... be honest with your doctor and he will take care of you.... if you lie or try to find a way to obtain more drugs and stronger ones at that... good luck with having his trust or even having him help you at all.... you are making his name look bad just so you can get your high... the cheapest way because we all know its expensive to buy them on the streets. its people like you who make it hard for people who really need the meds to get..... its clear you have done somthing like this before because you knew a way to get around the system.... everyone who needs to fill it early uses the same excuse and that is that they are leaving town...... sorry not looking to be rude im just being honest...... every time someone says something in regards to what you are doing you have an excuse to why you did or why you needed to..... suffer for a few days take asprin and stay  bed because thats gonna be the way you are going to have to do it once you get caught..... and your pain cant be that bad if your getting hydro or just 15 mlg of oxy.... you will be in pain if you are getting... methadone, or 40 mlgs of oxy... or 60mlg of roxy..... you can man up for a few days and take one less instead of playing the system... cause once you get red flagged and cut off... your withdrawls will be the end of you esp if its from oxy and for years like youve said... good luck but remember cheaters never win.... hopefully you dont have to sit in jail for a stupid choice with medication..... i say all this because i seen a friend do all the stuff you are doing and saying he sat in jail for 6 months for being perscribed and going into the med center and getting another perscription for the same meds but made up an excuse to get it.... doctors will find out once you give them a reason to look.... and if your going to goin and talk to him about it... he will be pulling up your file and once he does it will all be right there in front of him for him to see..... good luck and take one less per day and you will be just fine... remember the 10 mlgs of your loratab is the drug and that isnt even really a pain killer it acts as one by telling your brain to basically not think about it.. yes in a way it is, but the 500 mlgs that is is mixed with is the aceto. which is like asprin maybe take some stronger asprin and take a few days out of your month and relax, im sure you need it and would like to relax...good luck and i hope it all worked out for you  
I have a question.  I have been on Percocet 10/325 for a good amount of time and have Fibromyalgia, Degenerative Disc Disease, and Osteoarthritis.  My body gets used to drugs in a short amount of time, no matter what the script is (antibiotics, pain meds, cough medicine, etc.)  I've been dealing with pneumonia since Thanksgiving.  I've been on 4 antibiotics.  This last trip to my doctor, I asked for a "Drug Holiday" from the Percocet because they don't help subside this god awful cough I have.  My husband is on Vicodin and gave me a 750.  I didn't cough for over 6 hours!  That was such a relief.  So, I asked him if he could temporarily switch me over.  I know the Vicodin is not as potent as the Percocet, but they do help the cough immensely.  

Now my question.  I have a written script from my doctor for the Percocet but have just filled the script for the Vicodin.  I want to fill the Percocet script and just put the pills away so I don't have to refill for an extra month on the Vicodin, plus if I alternate between the two staying within the 5 pills a day, it would grately help with the pain and the cough.  I mean only 5 pills , NOT 5 pills each.

My pharmacist is Walgreens.  He's not very nice at all and I'm always given the look like an addict even though I faithfully fill my script ON TIME each month, never early.  First of all, do you think another Walgreens would fill the Percocet even though I already have the Vicodin?  I just don't want to create any havoc, but I also would like not to have to refill for 2 months.  It's quite a pain to get a written script for Percocet because my doctor's office staff is horrible.  My doctor is amazing, but his staff, UGH!

He knows about both scripts too.  Also, I'm not sure if Percocet scripts have an expiration date on them, that is why I would like to fill it soon, so I can just put them away.

Any thoughts?  Thank you for your time. :-)
Um dont fill it! No pharmacy is going to fill the oxy right after the vicodin. If you try it you will get caught.  Is it really that hard to get a script refilled next month? I think you need to be honest with yourself about why you want both scrips. Saying you dont want to go to the pharmacy for two months is pretty lame.