Pain Management Community
Pain below right rib cage after Colon Therapy Massage.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

I had a 'Colon Therapy Massage' in May of this year. The massage was very intense and uncomfortable at the time, however i was advised this was normal. (It was not painful). A few hours after this treatment I suffered 13 hours of agony in my upper right rib cage. After calling NHS 24 i was admitted to hospital for 3 days. After a few tests and an ultrasound scan it was discovered i had gall stones. I was discharged.

I have suffered pain in my upper right shoulder blade and a discomfort under my upper right rib cage constantly ever since, somtimes more uncomfortable than others but never goes away. The only way I can describe it is when i was pregnant and the baby would push on your ribs, you wanted to push it out the way. It feels like there is something there? However as Gall stones were diagnosed my doctor recomended my Gall bladder be removed. This was done in August this year, however i still have this intense shoulder blade pain and discomfort under my right rib cage. I was told it was gas from the op. 1 week after my op i was readmitted with severe pain again, it felt like i still had a gall bladder! I suffered with this until 3 weeks ago when I had an MRCP because the surgeon thought i had stones in the bile duct. i have had the constant pains as described above with severe pains 2 to 3 times a week! However the MRCP apparently showed no stones and my doctor said it is probably spasms and gave me Buscopan, which seems to have helped with the incidents of severe pain.
I still have this pain/discomfort under my lowest right rib cage and pain in my right shoulder 24/7, i am at my wits end the doctor wont seem to listen to me and i have been off work now since August! I struggle sitting in an upright position eg driving, eating out etc.
I think it could possibly be something to do with my asending colon as acording to diagrams this is exactly where i am feeling the pain, and considering it started a few hours after having an intense kneading massage on my colon this seems to make sence.Is there anyone able to help, i have had a particularly bad day today and just want to cry!!!
Norma - I have had right abdominal pain for 10 years and just found out from a contrast CT scan that my colon on my right side is lying on top of my liver instead of behind it, and is therefore impinged under my ribs, causing digestion to slow due to partial "blockage."  I am going to colorectal specialist next week to see if this is a congenital condition or occurred during a previous surgery I had.  I wonder if a deep massage could cause the colon to be moved?  A long shot, but just FYI.