Pain in both shoulders and upper arms
For the last six months, my mom has been having severe pain through her shoulders down to her elbows that is constant.  What could be causing this sudden onset of pain and what kind of doctor should I take her to?  

Pain medication doesn't seem to phase it at all.  

I'm sorry your mom is having such bad pain that doesnt even respond to pain meds. That must be so frustrating.
Is the pain between the shoulder blades or on just one side?
With the kind of pain your mom has, depending on where it is and on what side can change the possibilities of what he cause could be. There are so many possibilities with that kind of pain.
I think one of the most common causes of shoulder pain into the elbow may be arthritis
Or possibly a problem with the muscle.
You may want to start with an orthopedist. And they can always refer you to another specialist if they feel they need to.

I hope you and your Mom can find a god DR and get the pain taken care of.

TMA
I am sorry your mom is in pain. It hurts those that love her too. TMA is right the source of her pain could be any number of things. Sometimes that type of pain can actually originate in the neck and radiate into her shoulders and arms. It could also be she strained some muscles in the area. It could be arthritis is her neck. Any good physican can do the initial evaluation and refer her on to the proper specilaist that can do the final DX (diagnosis)and TX (treatment). I wish you and your my the best. Tuck