Pain Management Community
Pain in left upper arm when I lay on my right side

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

I also have severe pain in my upper left arm almost exactly mid-way between my shoulder and elbow. About 99% of the time, this pain occurs when I am laying on my right side. I have aortic valve regurgitation and I wonder if this could be a symptom of that? My cardiologist has been monitoring the valve and says that it is still a 'minor' problem and does not think I need surgery at this point? does anyone know if the valve prob could be related to this pain?
Hi!
The pain is less likely to be due to aortic regurgitation, however, please reconfirm with your doctor. Arm pain in deltoid area can be due to injury, irritation, or inflammation of muscles, ligaments, tendons, bones and joints. So it could be shoulder pain or elbow pain referred to deltoid region or it can be muscle injury. Please consult your doctor regarding this. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.
Hi Dr. Mathur -- I cannot begin to thank you enough for responding to my question. I so appreciate you taking the time to do so. I do have fibromyalgia but the pains I have from it are very different than this pain and it does seem really odd that it only happens when I lay on my right side. I am in the process of finding a new cardiologist who is closer to my home. I worked in Wash. DC for a long time and it seemed easier to have my doctors near work...but now my long term MD had gone 'Concierge' and I am at a true loss without him. The cardiologist he referred me to is also in DC which is now a problem since I now live a lot further since I retired. I also desperately need a hip replacement and am overwhelmed about where to start - especially since I broke my L femur 2 yrs ago, then had a L TKR 8 mos later and surgeon mistakenly put a R knee prothesis in my L knee making him have to do a knee revision at the same time. I am in constant pain on my left side now thus the reason I am spending most time lying on my right side. Sorry to send you such a lengthy reply, but felt that I should let you know why I WROTE TO ASK MY QUESTIONS -- just so difficult to get to the doctors feeling like this. Thank you again so much.