Pain Management Community
Pain in shoulder and numbness in arms hands

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

I was at the hospital a little over a week ago due to extreme pain in my Left shoulder neck and an uncomfortable pain/numbness in my Left arm and hand. The doctor gave me several tests...
1.ekg
2. CT scan

And concluded that they do not know the cause, but here's some oxi cotin and some other s&*t that causes constipation and very little pain relief. I have never taken pain medication before, I did not enjoy this feeling and stopped taking the pain meds two days ago.

I need to get back to work and have read the forums available to try to assist in diagnosis, I am more confused now.

8 days and counting...
Hello drpawn,

Welcome to MedHelp's Pain Management Forum. I am sorry to hear that you have undiagnosed pain. I hope it's a bit of a relief to know that you do not have any cardiac issues. However we know how despairing it can be to not have a diagnosis.

I am going to guess that the pain meds were too potent for you, thus the uncomfortable  feeling.  You may do better on a less potent opiate that will not cause you distress. I would discuss a med change with your physician.

Obviously you still need to discover the reason(s) for your pain. Have they suggested an MRI of your cervical spine? Often the sensations and pain that you are feeling can be related to a spinal structure issue. You may be experiencing referred pain.....meaning originating in one location but felt in another. An MRI will allow your physician to take a "good look" at the structure.

Don't give up searching. Be assertive and demand answers. Please let us know how you are doing. We'll look forward to your updates.

Best of Luck to You,
~Tuck