Pain Management Community
Pain in teeth with temporary crowns

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Pain in teeth with temporary crowns

In early August I had a root canal on tooth # 31. For about a week, the tooth continued to hurt. I then went in to have teeth # 30 & 32 prepped for crowns as I had old gold fillings in them and the Dentist said there were cavities underneath the old fillings.
Before we began, I told the dentist that the root canal tooth was still hurting me. He assured me it was likely still irritated and would simmer down soon.
2 1/2 hours in the chair and I was whooped. My jaw was killing me.

I had a temp crown put on over all three teeth. Two weeks later, I still cannot chew anything on that side of my mouth. The first five-six days felt like an abscess. Constant throbbing. I went back to the Dentist and told him that I thought it was the root canal tooth that was still hurting me. I asked for antibiotics in case of infection and something for the pain. He gave me 18 Lortabs and the antibiotic. ( I cannot take ibuprofen)
He said it was likely sore from all the work he did and that it would get better. He made me feel like and idiot for even coming in.
A week later......................it's still HURTING ME !! I still cannot eat a mushy PEA on that side of my mouth. I made a HUGE batch of chicken soup and put it through the food processor and that's what I've been eating.

Back to the Dentist I go. This time, I go in pretty angry that I am still in pain. Now it feels like the pain is in the very back tooth. He took an X-ray of the back tooth and said that the tooth looked fine and again, it is probably just inflamed from all the work that he did. That just wasn't a good enough answer. I was pretty upset. He said he could see that I was in pain and that I was aggravated but that did not give me the right to talk to him in an angry fashion. Are you kidding me ??? He said that the last time I came in I was 100% sure that it was the root canal tooth and this time I am 100% certain it's the back tooth. He was making me feel like an idiot. That night after going to bed, the throbbing in my tooth woke me up and I was sweating.

My permanent crowns will not be in for another 12 days. Am I going to continue to be in this pain ? The pain now is NOT constant but I cannot chew anything on that side of my mouth. I am so angry.

I have to go out of town tomorrow and I made the Dentist give me another script for antibiotic just in case it starts to swell but he would NOT give me any more Lortabs. Says their highly addictive and he could lose his license for writing too many ? Really ?? Am I a drug addict now ???

I don't know what to do ...... But I know there is NO WAY anybody is cementing permanent crowns on these teeth if they are still hurting.

And ftr, I am no kid. I've have more $$$ in my mouth than I do in my house. I have had tons of work done and never ever ever ever had this kind of reaction.

Please advise.
Hi!
Yes, you are probably right. A throbbing pain of this intensity can be due to partially filled root canal with nerve endings still exposed. Your dentist needs to check this. It can also be due to damage to nerve endings. Another possibility is an abscess. This can be caught on a CT scan.
Well, Lortab has hydrocodone. Therefore your doctor may be reluctant to prescribe it. Are you allergic to all non-steroidal anti-inflammatory pain killers? If not, then your doctor can prescribe a Cox-2 inhibitor as this can also help reduce inflammation. Please consult your dentist regarding this. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.