Pain in the thigh joint
I get pain in the left thigh joint while walking which is like electric shocks especially when i change the direction of walking. The pain does not last long, but frequency varies every day. I have applied some ecalyptus oil and have found some relief. This is the second incedence which last for 5 to 6 days.
Hi Putti,

Welcome to the Pain Mangement Forum. I am glad that you found our forum but sorry to hear about your pain.

I am not an expert by any means but your condition sounds like Trochanteric Bursitis. I have had experienced this condition several times and can attest to the pain that accompanies it. Sometimes it comes and goes but other times it will last for months and than I go in for an injection.

Most all our joints, especially the true ball and socket such as the hip, contain a thin sac of tissue filled with synovial fluid to assist with motion, reduce friction and to act as a cushion. These sacs are called a bursa. Inflammation of the bursa in the trochanter area may be caused by acute or repetitive trauma. Some times the cause is not easily recognized. That inflammation in the bursa between the tendon and the greater trochanter is called trochanteric bursitis.

It is often treated with PT or some Ortho's will just injection cortisone into the bursa to ease the painful symptoms. This injection can provide temporary relief, meaning several months or in some cases (as mine) several years. The injection is not painful. Surgery is rarely needed to treat trochanteric bursitis but it is preformed when all else fails.

I may be completely wrong in my suspicion that this is what is causing your symptoms. You should make an appt with your PCP for a clinical examination/evaluation and possible referral to an ortho physician. I wish you the best of luck. Please let us know how you are doing. I will watch for your updates.

Take Care,
Tuck