Pain Management Community
Pain on the right side from hea to toe

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Pain on the right side from hea to toe

Almost whole of the right side of my body is aching since few weeks. My head, neck, shoulder, elbow, hip, knee, ankle etc. I don't understand the cause for it and I don't know how to get diagnosed. Is this plain and normal or do I need a doctors help? If yes, which doctor should I see ?

I have migraine. Does this have anything to do with those pains? Or could it just be cos I sit for a long time or wear a bag ?

And yeah, I'm only 21.
Hello and welcome to the Pain Mangement Forum. I am sorry to hear about your discomfort but glad that you have found us at MH.

Just a week or so ago we had almost an identical post to yours, pain on one side of the body. Let me see if I can find that for you.

A generalized pain on one side can originate from so many different sources. I would only be making a poor guess.If I can locate it it I'll return with the address of the other post.

Take Care,
Tuck
This is the address of the previous post I was discussing regarding right side of body pain.

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Pain-Management/Chronic-Pain---Right-Side-of-the-Body-/show/970494

There are not other responses to this post. Hopefully more members will be on today and will respond to your post.

Take Care,
Tuck
You should absolutely see your Primary Care Doctor, he/she will know what specialist if any you should see. I wish I had something more to say but I've never heard of pain split down the middle and only on one side throughout the entire body, If I had to venture a guess I'd say something having to do with the body's central  nervous system, but what the heck do I know LOL    It must be terrible and i'm sorry you have to deal with it, I hope someone posts for you that knows about this so you can get an idea of what you might possibly be facing. Please see your doctor though, No one should have to deal with pain and not know the reason why at least.
Please let us know if you find out anything I'm really interested to know and you would really be helping the next person like you who suddenly gets what you are going through. You could be that person's best support.
XO
Babs
Thanks for the replies. I'll see the doctor and let you guys know what the problem is.

--
MCS
Well for a long time I had pain pretty much only on my left side. It started with my knees, both hurt but the left was worse. Some speculated difference in leg length, or even the hip causing it being the source. My left shoulder hurt then moved to my neck and head, down my arm as well.

It could be that you are favoring one side.
Hey there!
I would not only see your doctor, but I would also see a chiropractor. Those guys are excellent identifying problems with muscles/bones/nerves. A lot of nerve/tingling/pain is associated with muscular problems, whether pinching, knotting which pushes a chain of muscles out of place (we are all connected after all) or strength issues (lack of strength in one muscle can lead to overuse of another, leading to a chain of soreness too).

I would make sure if you are sitting for long periods, to take standing breaks every hour at least, and do stretches that promote lengthening your body, opening your chest up (like rolling your shoulders backward, or arms back as though you're reaching for the other)-- anything that isn't bending forward and slouching, but exactly opposite. I have a ton of exercises and stretches to give you if you are wanting them, just message me!

I also encourage doing daily activity (to everyone) as that helps with pain, and also makes you stronger which might actually help the cause if from strength issues. Walking is excellent to start if you are inactive, and so is yoga. Yoga has been the greatest benefit for exercise to decrease my own pain  (from jaw pain, hips/sciatic, knee, and back pains), it helps to strengthen, relax, increase flexibility, increase balance, decrease stress... etc the list goes on! I hear Tai Chi is also very beneficial.

I would also encourage you to see a massage therapist. If the problem is muscular, this can help release tension and get things back into working condition, release tension, break up scar tissue, increase mobility of the muscles, etc. I see a massage therapist once a month because the benefits are great-- even if you feel great, you don't realize what's bothering you until someone digs into you and finds the sore spots. I couldn't encourage you enough to do this for yourself!! I feel like floating on air after I'm done, even if it was quite sore during, I always feel better after.

Chiropractics like I mentioned, can also be of benefit. If it is muscular or in the soft tissue, a form of treatment called active release technique (ART) can be done to release the 'knotted' spots (kind of like a very deep, specific massage using range of motion of your body)

You may need to see a neurologist, which could be referred through your family doctor. If you're finding it hard to function everyday, they may also refer you for physio therapy, which can also help increase range of motion, give you exercises and help with pain.

Certainly watch out for any postural tendancies you have-- like mentioned above me-- don't favour one side, make sure you're not slouching, hold your neck up flat, not leaning on a desk side ways on your hand. Make sure you're wearing a good pair of running shoes when you will be walking or standing, as you need the support for your body. Chiropractors measure the length of your legs and can determine if your body is out of whack :P Sometimes insoles are made for your shoes to help with any issues with your feet. I have extremely flat feet and mine have made a GREAT improvement to my standing posture, which I notice greatly get worse when I wear my sandals without them.

Hope this has helped at all!! Let me know if you have more questions regarding what I wrote. Good luck seeking some care!
Dana
Thanks Dana.

Can I get more info from you? I'm interested to know more about the exercises
I just saw a chiropractor for the first time, and let me tell you...it made a huge difference. Doctors have said it could be muscles, but really focused on believing it was a herniated disc. I'm beginning to think my muscles are tight beyond normal and that may be the cause of my pain. The Chiro did a minor adjustment and a tremendous amount of pressure in my shoulder vanished.

Mind you if you have a disc problem Chiropractic care COULD make it worse, so be careful.