Pain Management Community
Painful, swollen Knot or lump on the back of my head

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Ive had this lump on the back of my head for many years, its been so long I cant remember when i grew this lump. My mother has one too, that she said shes had for a long time, and she told me its genetic, its extra skin or tissue. A few weeks ago I slipped and fell on the ice and hit the spot where the lump is, the lump became very painful when i touched it,  or lay my head down, etc.. It also itches. My mom told me its just swollen and it will heal, and it takes longer for injuries on the scalp to heal, I always keep accidentally bumping it on stuff, like the kitchen cabinets. When i sleep i accidentally sleep on it, and in the morning it hurts pretty bad. If I put my head back it hurts, I believe its because of the neck and scalp skin pushing together against the lump, and causing pain. If there is anyone you can help me identify what this is please let me know. Its been several weeks that it was been swollen and painful, and itchy. I dont have any insurance, and Im scared to go to the doctor, and get billed expensively, but if it is serious and I must see a doctor I wil
I couldn't begin to tell you what it may be. But I think you should go to the doctor and have it looked at tom make sure your okay.
It very well maybe just extra skin growth as the body can have tons of little abnormalties that are harmless (I have tons of little tiny cysts or cell growths under my skin that I always freaked out and thought were tumors or something)

But since it's still swollen and bothering you checking it out will give you some peace of mind and the doctor may be able to do something to help you sleep more comfortably.

Do you have insurance? It's always a good idea to at least go and have to doc say everything is fine and it's nothing harmful.
When I think about yet another bill I always think to myself...what would happen if I didn't at least have it looked at and it is something that needed to be checked out.
Your health is the most important thing and so is peace of mind. I hope you just get it looked at so you can worry alot less. And theer may be something that can be done so you don't have to deal with hitting it accidently and having to deal with the pain of that.

Amph
Hi Ze,

Welcome to the Pain Management Forum of MedHelp. I understand your concern and I am sorry you are still hurting from this lesion on your neck. There are so many things that this could be that I would not want to make a wild guess.

Your Mom may be 100% correct, most Mom's are. However this is obviously of concern for you and for that reason alone you should be evaluated by a medical provider. It could be extra skin, or a cyst or any number of harmless things but it has now become symptomatic. It is possible that in time, once you obtain insurance this lesion can be removed as suggested above so it is not a continued source of pain and concern.

If it has been two weeks since your fell on it there should be some improvement in the pain, swelling and itching. I do not know what if your state offers short term treatment through public insurance. In Wisconsin you can obtain a voucher for a specific medical problem from the state and it will be covered. I would certainly call and check with your IL social services department to inquire about any assistance that maybe available. But with or without insurance you should know what you have "growing" on your neck.

Good luck to you. Please let us know how you are doing. I will look forward to your update. Take Care, Tuckamore
Hello Ze and welcome to the Pain Forum:

Lumps located on the neck should be checked out by the Doctor. Even though your Mother has had one for sometime, it is important that you have yours checked out as soon as possible. No Two people are alike.

Your lump could be anything from a cyst to Thyroid problems to Cancer. Most of the lumps found on the neck are often removed.

There is an excellent article about lumps on necks found at: About.com...This I found to be rather informative. It does sound like there is swelling in the area and for that reason alone should be checked out. Please make the appt. Take care and have a wonderful holiday season.
Mollyrae