Pain Management Community
Poppy Seed Tea????

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Poppy Seed Tea????

I have fibromyalgia and I decided to go off tramadol a month ago and see what I can find to handle my pain naturally. I have been doing research and found that many people with chronic pain use poppy seed tea in times of very bad pain. Does anyone know anything about it? I did see in my research that someone did over dose and die while taking it but he drank A LOT of it to get high and that's not what I'm interested in it for. I am trying to find something natural that can pack a good amount of pain relief for bad flare ups of pain not for daily use. I have also heard of kratom being used for pain as well. If anyone has any info on those two things I would be most appreciative.
Poppie seed is an opiate, milder than most, but it works the same way. There's a great Mythbuster episode that proved you could fail a urine test from eating poppy seed muffins. It's on Netflix. They had to eat a lot, but they failed tests for a few days. I have never noticed an anagessic effect from it, only drank it a couple times. I have a naturally high tolerance to opiates though. I drank it pre-opiates, it didn't help me.
I asked the same question about KRATOM and it angered alot of folks. I'm interested in reading the answers you receive. I'm not sure about any of it but BC of things I've read I have tried anything... Best of luck to you
Thank you for your responses, I'm only wondering about the two things because of pain relief. Not to try to get any sort of high from it what so ever. I can say that with 100% honesty. I'm not sure why people would get angry about asking about Kratom???
kratom is not an innocent substances. many people have come through here who have been addicted to it. others use it to help with opiate detox and then become addicted to it.
put it into the search on the top of the page, the magnifying glass.
recently (pjtwenty) is his screen name came here addicted to it, look up his profile.
Neither will do much for serious pain.  They work the same way as pain meds, but they don't have the painkilling power of actual opiate pills if that is what you're used to having.  Kratom and poppy seed tea both have pretty serious WD symptoms......same as any opiate.  Kratom is a little different, chemically, than opiates.  It's technically "natural" but I would steer clear of it if you've abused opiates in the past.  You'll just be starting back down a road that will lead you right back to detoxing again.......IF you live through it......and none of us are guaranteed that we will live to recover the next time.  If you've been addicted before, it's a pretty sure bet that you'll get hooked to something else if you try it.  Personally, and I have chronic pain, I would not try that now.  I just have NO desire to go back through that, and it's a widely known fact that both things are addictive!  I hope you find some pain relief.  It can sure be exhausting!
Thank you everyone for the info and advice. I will do some more research on both and take very careful consideration into them. Is there anything else that is natural and non addictive that can be used for pain? Daily supplements that help?
My reading has lead me to DLPA, an amino acid for pain relief. I am not sure exactly if it helps me or not though. My chronic back pain has gotten much less after being clean from Oxycodone for a few weeks. I think hyperalgesia was a factor for me.
I also have severe chronic pain from a car accident 4 and a half years ago.  I had to leave my job, my house and move in with my father as I couldn't live alone as I need so much help in day to day activities due to severe chronic lower back and hip pain.  I take Oxycontin 60mg twice daily as prescribed by my pain doctor.  One time, when I couldn't get in to see my doctor to get my normal prescription as he was on vacation I ran out of my Oxycontin for four days in a row and knew I couldn't handle the pain for four days with no pain medications other than tylenol and advil or aleve (ps you probably know this, but aleve helps chronic pain much better than advil, especially if combined with tylenol as both may be taken safely together.  Anyway, during that first day of my four days without prescription pain medication I tried poppy tea.  It DID help to relieve my pain.  I used about 400 - 500 mg and even with a high opiate tolerance due to over 4 years of prescription pain medications which I have been on since the car accident.  I suggest you try it, but not daily due to the tolerance you will build up to it.  Twice weekly really should be the maximum to it as you don't want to become addicted to poppy seed tea as it can be the hardest opiate (besides methodone) to quit.  I usually used around 500 mg of dark poppy seeds bought in bulk from the spice section of supermarket...I bought 2 pounds to last me through the four days and took them each day for four days until I got my new Oxycontin prescription.  I would funnel with a piece of paper 500mg into a 2 litre coke bottle (empty bottle, of course!) and add around 4 tablespoons of lemon juice which helps the poppy seed tea be stronger and helps it taste better.  The lemon juice or grapefruit juice is really required.  Then add quite warm water (not boiling as this will reduce potency) and shake the bottle after you put on the lid, as much as you can for about 30 minutes.  The longer you shake and leave the seed mixture in the bottle the stronger the tea (and resultant painkiller effects) will be.  Try to shake the bottle at least 5 - 10 minutes during that 30 minute period, not all at once if it's too difficult, but maybe just 2 - 3 minutes 4 - 5 times during the 30 minute period.  You can pour out the contents of the bottle into a cup or glass, but you have to strain it using a thin dishcloth or even a t-shirt.  Then once the vast majority of the liquid has come out and only poppy seeds remain in the 2 liter bottle, pour the wet poppy seeds into the thin dishtowel or t-shirt (or whatever else you use to strain the tea) and wring that out into your cup.  Add honey to taste if you desire as the tea is quite unpleasant but much more bearable with 1/4 cup of honey added in.  I wish you luck and hope this post helps you.  Those who have never experienced severe chronic pain do not understand why you may wish to try something like this, but I do.  I can also attest that it does help with pain relief.  If you have any questions, feel free to call me on eight one six, four six two, three five one nine.  My name is Melissa and I am 32 years old.  Kind regards, Melissa x
I wanted to mention to you something else (besides opiates) which I use in addition to Oxycontin.  I was prescribed Lidocaine (the brand name is Lidoderm) 5% patches, often referred to as "pain patches" in layman's terms.  I am prescribed 30 patches per month and you put them on the area of the skin under which your pain is worst.  The patches are around 5 inches by 3.5 inches (that's only a rough estimate)....and you can wear up to 3 patches in a 12 area period if required, depending on whether your pain covers a larger area.  These patches are completely non narcotic and what they do is cause an anesthetic effect on the area (including muscles) under the skin where they are placed.  They certainly don't make life amazing, but in addition to narcotics (or even without narcotic painkillers) I notice a reduction in pain.  It is worth it to try them.  Without insurance they are around $250 for 30 patches, though the manufacturer does have a patient assistance program that will provide the patches for free (with a valid prescription) if you earn under a certain amount per year.  I receive my patches free...but you can only do this if you meet the income criteria and have no insurance or insurance which doesn't cover prescription medications.  You may have already tried these, but I thought I would mention them to you in case you aren't aware of them.  Suffering so awfully from unbearable chronic pain I feel for you and anyone that suffers such a life altering ailment which often leads to depression, withdrawal from friends and social activities, and in some cases suicide.  I wish you all the best and if you have any questions, give me a call at the number provided in my last post.  I can probably answer most if not all questions you have about pain relief medications/treatments/acupuncture/chiropractic treatments (all types) epidurals for back pain, injections for hip pain, muscle relaxers, yoga to help with pain and many other things I have tried in desperation to rid myself of this pain.  Melissa x
Hi  I  also have  chronic  back pain that has continued to get worse over the past years. I am 72 and my pain Doctor was giving me pain meds that was
allowing me to accomplish the things needed to keep me enabled. When he moved
away I started going to another pain clinic. They do the injections in the back.
I have always said  I would not take them, but they insisted it was part of their treatment and they would also give the pain meds.  23-Oct-2013

I have had a lot of things happen that is not normal for me.Durning the last shot the front of my right leg hurt like crazy and I had to grab it. Is that a usual thing?   After the 3rd shot I could bend over with no pain. I had a dull headache for the next 2 days that stayed untill Friday the 25th.  The same night I reached up to get somthing and a stabbing pain shot down my side and hip with some of the pain comming back. Saturday Morning the 27th I started loosing my balance. If I leaned my head foward I fell foward to the left or right I would fall in that direction. This has lasted for 8 days and I am suppose to have another treatment in 4 days I could only do for myself by holding on things with 1 hand. I wonder if anyone has had anything like this happen to them. I contacted the Doctor and he says it is like inter ear but I don't have sinus inter ear or allergy or have never ever had anything remotely close to this. Do I have to take these shots again? Can anyone help?
I have been using poppy seed tea for over a year now.  There are positives and negatives about using it.  I have moderate to severe back pain and my pain doctor kept pushing me to get cortisone injections or they would take me off my hydrocodone.  When I ran short of hydrocodone one month (the pain doctor never gives you enough to manage the pain), I started using PST after reading all I could find about it online (even the poppyseedteakkills web site).  If you want to try PST, here are a few tips about using it:

1.  If you read the poppyseedteakills web site, the coroner's report shows the victim was also using hydrocodone, so apparently PST was not the only contributing factor.  Be careful if you use PST, start off using a very low amount (a few ounces) and keep in mind that all batches of seeds can have different amounts of opiates.  

2.  The cold water extraction works fine.  I use just over 1 pound of seeds to make each batch of tea.  (REMEMBER - if you decide to use this method for pain management, start off LOW).  I add a small can of grapefruit juice to kill the taste.  PST by itself tastes horrible and may make you gag.  It tastes like drinking water from a mud puddle.  Don't drink all the tea at once.  With the batch I make, I produce four large glasses of tea and it takes me 1 - 1.5 hours to drink this amount.  After each glass, monitor yourself and your breathing.  If you feel sleepy or find yourself losing your breathing rhythm, you should not drink any more until your tolerance increases.

3.  PST is highly addictive.  I realize that if I come off of it, the withdrawal symptoms can be extreme.  Be prepared to face this if you decide to start using PST for pain.  In my case, I cannot function without it.

4.  There are some online stores that sell the potent seeds while others sell seeds that are heavily washed and have hardly any opiates left on them.  You will have to find your own source of quality seeds.

5.  You have to compare the benefits with the risks.  I do not drink the tea to get high.  My tolerance level won't allow that anyways.  I know when I wake up in the morning, it takes a lot to get up out of bed and move around until I had my morning tea.  I drink two batches per day.  Once in the AM and once in the mid-afternoon.  The pain relief lasts up to 8 hours which is better than hydrocodone.  I know there will come a time when I will have to have back surgery, but for now, this works for me and will keep using it.  My wife and kids understand why I must do this and are patient with me.

Bottom line - if you decide to take this course and pain management (pain doctor) does not work for you - be careful.  It can be risky and can kill you if you are irresponsible.