Pain Management Community
Pregnant and on vicodin need help

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Pregnant and on vicodin need help

Im 7wks pregnant and I was on oxycodone but now im on vicodin.  I want my baby to be safe and want to carry to term.  How can I slow down on the vicodin befor baby comes?  What if my pain is too much for me to where I cant get off of it? I have fibromylgia (fibromyalgia) so im in pain 24-7.  Will this pain med hurt the baby? Any tips on how to get off of it befor I get to 30wks?
Welcome to the pain management community and congratulations on your pregnancy!

There is a recent post entitled, "Pregnant and on Norco" that you should read through.  Norco is very similar to vicodin, it just has less acetaminophen or Tylenol in it.  Both norco and vicodin contain hydrocodone which is the opioid component of the medication.  There is another member of the community that just had a healthy baby after being on Norco throughout her entire pregnancy due to severe pain from diabetic neuropathy.  She discusses her successful story in the post, "Pregnant and on Norco".  I myself was taking tylenol w/ codeine while I was pregnant and I had a healthy baby boy.

It is important to discuss your pain levels and the potential impact of taking pain medication and not taking pain medications during your pregnancy.  There are women that have also taken oxycodone throughout their entire pregnancy and had healthy babies.  When these medications are taken as prescribed, the risk is lower that the baby will be born dependant on the medication.  It is important that both you and doctor weigh the pros and cons of continuing opioid medication through your pregnancy.  Very severe pain that is uncontrolled during pregnancy can lead to preterm labor, which can have more detriment effects on the baby than dependancy from opioids due to the possibility of being born with underdeveloped organs.  

You may be concerned perhaps because of the media hype of the "oxy babies" seen on television.  These babies were born addicted to oxy because the mothers were abusing it by taking high doses through injection or insulfalation to get high.  It is true that opioid medication crosses over into the placenta and that the baby can experience respiratory depression; however, the risks of adverse effects from this are low.  Many women receive repeated morphine injections during labor to help with the pain until their cervix is dilated enough for an epidural.  

So please make an appointment with both your OB/GYN and primary care physician to hear both their thoughts on the risks and benefits.  It would be even better if they could both communicate with eachother regarding your care so that they can work as a team to provide the best care for you and your baby.

Wishing you the very best during your pregnancy.

femmy