Problems With Tramadol
I am a mid-aged male whom has been taking Tramadol Hydrochloride for about 2 years.  I began taking it to control the paid from back spasms that would occur at least once a week.  It was great, providing be the ability to forget about the pain, and be able to work/sleep/live.  As time went on, I needed to increase the dosage to manage the pain.  I then began to feel awful the day after, with little to no energy  I began taking Tramadol during those periods, to get rid of the pain of not being on pain killers (the irony of this situation does not escape me).  It has now become a mandatory daily ritual in order to even function.  

I have tried to stop cold turkey a few times, but my withdrawal symptoms (depression, vomiting, hot/cold flashes, diarrhea, etc) put me in bed for days until I give in, eventually repeating the cycle all over again.

I also have tried many times to slowly decrease the number of pills (50mg) taken and lengthening the time between dosages.  Without fail, I become seriously lethargic and depressed around the clock.  Eventually I give in, and again the cycle starts all over again.

Most embarrassing is that there is a direct relation between taking higher dosages, and my face breaking out.  In addition to the affect on my face, I am concerned about the damage I may be doing on the inside of my body, as well as the fact that it is impossible to function without taking the pills.

Can someone advise the long term affect of taking Tramadol, as well as how best minimize the withdrawal symptoms (especially the energy level) while quitting Tramadol.  I am unfortunately working overseas and getting good and confidential doctor's advise is not really possible.

Thank You!!
Well, For Dave, I do not know why you are getting no relief from the Ultram. Let’s stick with the brand name and not worry about its generic name Tramadol.

As I have been on the medication for at least 5 years now at 400mgs in a 24 hour period. 100mgs every 6 hours, yes I use an alarm to wake me at 6am to keep scheduled. I am still in pain, but I have energy. I am in chronic pain, so I will be taking this medication all my life; hopefully, it will not stop working.

When I was on Vicoden, they told me to take it as needed. I was taking up to 10 a day; when the doctor found out, he told to cut back to only 4 pills at most` a day. I had no idea about Vicoden. Now, I know better...

So, I did go through the withdrawals of Vicoden. Got onto Ultram and have been able to keep going “5 years later” at the current rate.

Sorry Dave that you get neither relief, nor any energy from the product. "Tramadol".

Mikefish, I do not know why they say it is not addictive? I would agree it is very good at what it does, yet if you stop cold turkey as with coffee, cigarettes, or other drugs, this one is similar to the withdrawals of Crack Cocaine. Seriously painful and mindless anxiety. So as with any thing that can cause this, lower your dose and go cold turkey once you’re down to half a pill twice a day.

I am doing well, and am enjoying the pain control that Ultram offers. I have energy to get out of bed, and though I still feel my pain at all times, without this medication I would be stuck in bed, bowels would be erratic, and my pain would be at a level 10 - - - 24/7.

I prefer quality of life, so I am going to stay with my regiment. However, there is a new drug I am trying made for Alztimers. It is called Namenda.

Namenda has helped with my Nerve Damage, and given me energy. I take about 15 to 20 mg every day at 6am’ too help get me going by 9am. Considering I used to get going at 11am the earliest, this is a big improvement. It has also help with social anxiety, and I have clear thought processes. Hope this info helps.

Talk to you all later.

Rockhawk.com

Tom
Wow, I glad I am not the only person out there that has been having the same problems with tramadol. I was prescribed tramadol about two years ago over sharp pains in my lumbar spine, I was told I had an inflammed SI joint, after 4 injections I saw a different specialist and they said I had a bulging disc...fast forward two years of pain meds and physical therapy I still have chronic back pain with no relief. When I now keep tramadol by the bedside, when my first alarm goes off I pop about 5 or 6 50mg pills and by the second alarm goes off I am up and raring to go (usually taking about 4 more). At the end of the day I take about 20 pills, and need to take different medicine to help me sleep at night since it keeps me up, makes me happier, more talkative, not hungry.....all the same things that I have seen others posting here. I am a returning adult student, so my grades have been suffering as well. My doctors quit prescribing me the meds so I started ordering them on the net...pretty pathetic. Everytime I have tried to stop, the withdrawl symptoms make me just order them again so I can carry on a "normal" day. I am now on my fifth time of stopping cold turkey, everytime the symptoms get worse. I feel like I am crawling in my own skin, but this is the first time that I have actively seeked outside helps and sites to help me get through them. Just reading that I am not alone, and that I am not the only one suffering out there, has made me feel better. So for all of you out there, thanks...I really hope this is the last time.
i have been taking vicodin for 2 yrs now my doctor just put me on tramadol and flexeril.. i am scared to take another drug.. i dont want the addiction.. but i dont want the pain either.. what is the matter with these doctors.. i feel for all of you i truly know how you are feeling..
i have been thinking of switch from lortab 10/500 to tramadol i'm starting to think this is not a good idea do the tramadol work any better or are they just more addictive?  My lortabs are not working to well and the withdraws when i stop taking for a few days are really bad too.
Ultram: RUN AWAY!  My experience is, if vicodin works for you, Ultram won't.  My doc pushed it on me for FMS pain. Not only did it not work on my pain, it made me so depressed and lethargic I wanted to die. I only took it for 4 days, and had "pseudo-withdrawals": My pain got worse, my body cramped up. Problem is, the DEA (that's right, the Fed) regulates the opiates, and doctors have to justify prescribing them long-term. The DEA frowns on anything that might induce "pleasure" so they're looking more and more carefully into off-label and extended use of opiates and morphine derivatives. This is why all the docs and pharm reps are pushing Ultram and the like, and why withdrawal and side effects are being downplayed.  Apparently, addictive "non-opiates" are okay...It's obscene, really. I mean, God forbid a chronic spinal or neuralgia patient should have sufficient pain relief to function or go back to work--I mean, horrors! what if they're addicted to something that actually allows them to function normally?
I too had been taking Tramdol for 2 years for lower back pain.  Recently I had to come off it due to an interaction with a new medicine I was put on.  Like you I had to deal with awful breakouts on my face from the Tramdol but it was that or the pain.  Because of that I was actually a bit happy when I was told I had to stop taking it.

The withdrawal symptoms were brutal, just like you said.  I have never experienced anything like that and am a very strong minded person, so it made it even harder because I felt weak because I couldn't control how my body was reacting coming off it.  

Luckily it only lasted a week .  It may have lasted long but my doctor gave me a 10 day script for Percocet which immediately made me feel better. I wish I could offer more help but when I saw you post my heart went out to you having just gone through the same thing a few weeks ago.
There are some great, informative posts on the Substance Abuse/ Addiction Community section.  You can do a search there-- lots of stuff on Tramedol
Hey everyone... first off thanks for all your posts... I've learned a lot from everyone here...
backround on me... I've had 2 car accidents in the last year.. one in mid december 06 then another in June of 07... Got issues with my lower back because of it.. nerve compression in my last vertabrae or something... was intitally prescribed Tramadol for the pain... have been taking it at about 400MG a day since last december... My primary doc who initially prescribed it is now unwilling to keep writing refills...I went and saw am orthopedic doc who prescribed the Ultram ER which of course does nothing for me since I was started on the non ER Tramadol...my last scrip was from my primary care doc who gave me a weeks worth of meds only... and It was like pulling teeth to get that... Should I see if I can get my Ortho to prescribe it longterm? my last dose was saturday (400mg) and Sunday was absolute HELL... Withdrawal symptoms just like I've read here.. sweats/convulsions/panic attacks/ it freaked me the heck out... was up till 5am.. when I finally got to sleep from taking 2 scrip sleep meds.. (can't remember the name at the moment) and taking some phernergan for the nausea I was experiencing... course after taking the Phenergan i got some massive stomach cramps.. go figure take an antinaseau med that gives u cramps...
I'm also someone who had weight loss surgery 3 yrs ago... and have to be careful with medications I take... (having started with a 4 oz stomach, now probably up to 12ozs) they hit me faster for some reason.. so the meds I take like Tramadol hit me really quickly entering my bloodstream faster I guess.. like i mentioned earlier the ER didn't do anything for me. I've bee doing PT for the back pain.. but as it's nerve compression.. strengthening my Core muscles has helped in my posture and feels good exercise wise but hasn't done anything for the actual pain... enough ramblin out of me...
any advice people can give me would be helpful...
I have no way to take time off work... least not till January... so i've been suffereing through the WL symptoms while at work... NOT fun...
-Ross
I was addicted to extreme doses of tramadol for just over 2 years. I was doctor shopping and spending a fortune. I had three grand mal seizures while taking it. It was taking over my life, I lost my registration (nurse) and had zero enjoyment in life. I quit cold turkey and it WAS hard, but once the physical withdrawls were over LOOK OUT I was LOVING life. I became my old social self again, enjoying everything that I once had, got my registration back and my LIFE. So for those that are worried at the level of danger of quitting C/T, I think being on it and possible ramifications (eg seizures) is much more dangerous. I still have to keep my addictive personality in check (I see a psychologist) I am a zillion times happier now than when an addict.
lol , hmm.... this is the first time i ever heard of ''doctor shopping'' for ultram , never found it useful for relieving pain in the slightest no matter the dosage. :(
I wasn't taking it for pain, just the high. To be honest I don't think it's great for pain either, although some people we gave it to post op (when I was working in theatre) seemed to find it affective. Unfortunately I'd get the full on opiate effects from it, hense the addiction.
Well well well..,,

Seems like we got quite a pickle here. There are those who just don't want to accept the reality of chronic pain. For the record, I crushed my brainstem when falling off a table. I got a lower back disk bulges, and I got repetitive pain disorders in my arms - elbows and hand. Ulnar tunnel, and carpel tunnel.

Seeing as I have been on it the longest and not abusing it to get high, I am a witness that this drug will help if you do no more than 400mgs in a 24 hours period. To that end, I am not sluggish, I have energy, and there is no addiction issue. However, if you are drinking and mixing other medications with Ultram/Tramadol without your doctor’s supervision, then you deserve to go through withdrawals. Be they from hell, or you own stupidity.

Not trying to be mean, but come-on... Chronic Pain is the issue. What we are doing here is to find the best way to live with a life non-cancerous pain like condition. If you’re not in chronic pain, don't play with this medication. It is the only one in existence that shuts off a certain receptor in the pain channeling of your nervous system.

I know how to live with chronic pain and take my meds like an adult who has to live in constant pain for the rest of his life. If it works for your pain, take it. If it does nothing for you, find an alternative way to deal with your nerve damage,

Bad pain day for me, yet I would never do more than I am taking. For the person who takes 20 a day? You’re gonna overuse your liver and kidneys. As for the one who gets seizures, this medication is a no go for you. For those who live as I do in constant disturbing sensations, I hope Ultram helps. My life is livable. I will never be able to hike or dance or run, but I can walk, and scoot, as well as, do the shuffle. HA Ahhh Hah!

Tom 42
Sorry but is it funny to anyone else that only 1 person on here (advertising his web site repeatedly which is against the rules) is saying he is not addicted to this drug or having problems with it,is also the same person that says he has been on it the longest? You may not be trying to sound mean but you certainly do come off sounding as someone in great DENIAL! FYI any more than 300 MGS in a 24 hour period is going beyond and upping the recommended dosage. I think we can all agree anyone taking this stuff for 5 years is addicted no matter what they call it and their comments should be taken with great warning!
So, what is your chronic pain condition?

Are you here to talk recovery? You know they have NA and AA for those type discussions.

I think this all started when Bsta1382: Asked,

Can someone advise the long term affect of taking Tramadol, as well as how best minimize the withdrawal symptoms (especially the energy level) while quitting Tramadol.  I am unfortunately working overseas and getting good and confidential doctor's advice is not really possible.

AS you want to steer the conversation to addiction and not dealing with life long nerve pain, I do not think your opinion has any merit. I am sorry you are an addict.

By the way, The Pharmaceutical pamphlet that comes with the medication tells you the actual amount you can take in a 24 hour period. If you’re over 70, they recommend not going over 300mgs in a day. So, do you have cancer, ALS, or any legitimate reason for participating in this discussion?

As your screen name says "Addicted Andy” Who is in denial???

By the way, rockhawk is an old screen name I have had way before I built the website. Furthermore, I am sorry you are so unhappy that some people can take medication with out trying to get off on them.

Some one poke holes in the top of your jar.

EXODICE
I have been on 300 mg of Tramadol for over 4 years, WITH my other meds and have never had a problem. I take ALL of my meds as prescribed, and I have never abused any of my medication.

I've never posted here before, but felt the need to speak up for 'Exodice'. Although he clearly can speak for himself without a problem.

Just because someone is on high levels of pain meds doesn't make them a drug addict. Without the medications I take I would be bedridden 24/7. They give me the freedom to try and be a good mother, and the strength to fight the pain that isn't taken care of by my meds. Nothing works 100%, but I treasure what little quality of life my meds allow me.

I, like Exodice, also have never had one single tiny problem with my Ultram. It's not the strongest pain med in the universe, but it works well enough for me with my other meds. I've never experienced any side effects, but I've also always been careful never to take more than the recommended dosage.

Perhaps 'Exodice' is saying he's never had an issue either, because he's telling the truth.

Shocking concept eh? (--- Sarcasm :)

Before you leap on someone for stating fact, perhaps you should explore your own honesty first.
Male Female relations are best done in private.

Tell me your world; I tell you mine.

***@****

PS You left out your age.., was that on purpose?

Tom
Well, I Just thought that I should mention that whether or not if you're an addict, if you are in chronic pain of level 5 or higher, you will need medication to keep the pain in check.
i have fibromyalgia and i have been taking tramadol 50mg 4 times a day and i have been o it for over two years im going to t ry to get off of it this week i just has been making me feel worse then i did before i started taking them so my idea which i hope helps others here is to take my herbal sleep aids and sleep off the with drawl phase so about 2 to three days give or take a few im thinking this would be allot better then being so sick for so long. last time i was off tramadol for more then one day i ran out of them and spent the next 3 days in so much pain i could barley breath and move i did not eat sleep or move for three days so ya sleep aids here i come:)
I really think that if people have serious pain they would be better off taking a real narcotic than ultram. It isn't a great pain med and has too many emotional side effects because of it's anti-depressant features. all the best
I take tramadol for break thru pain and also take it alone without my other more serious meds when I am not hurting really badly. I find its ok but not great its good with the more potent meds. You should let the dr help get you off them he knows things and can do things we cant to make it easier on you. When I ran out of them once my doc was out of town I went to er and told them I was taking stronger eds but could they help me out with the ultram for now and it was no problem they knew I took stronger meds but I only asked for the ultram and theywere happy to help. Go to ur dr and get help or to a addiction spec .
Why would someone need an addiction spec. for chronic pain? They don't treat pain they give methadone or suboxone. I glad ultram works for you but it's very hard to stop after long continued use. Longer to get off of than a real narcotic,
I am sorry I conveyed the wrong impression here I take heavy duty meds and ultram does not contribute much but anyway I suggested the addiction spec so one could maybe get off ultram at a more COMFORTABLE level. My pain spec is also addiction spec alot of pain mng drs are also addiction spec I diid not mean any disrespect to anyone and I wish you good luck
No Sandee you are being very informitive. I didn't know that. I was under the impression that addiction and pain mgt. were two different things. I say this because a lot of these pain doc and clinics will through you to the wolves ot methadone if they think you are to dependent or milking it.. I have been on both sides and it's much better to go to a doctors office than a  methadone clinic with Ali Babba and the 40 thieves. Fortunately for me, I don't take or need any narcotics at this time and hope this continues. all the best
Well, I have been using derigiesic patches for the past year, and have found that even though they turn the pain off and I can do more, I am also very much unable to get going in the morning.

For the time being, I am going to just stick with my Ultram. Another thing that may not be pleasant to talk about but is true for the majority of people in pain and low back pain is the poop issue. When my pain level is high, I have to use the restroom many times a day. When I have the right amount of pain control, I notice my bowels are also not out of control.

Now that I am off the Morphine patch, the poop issue is still there, yet Ultram seems to give enough to keep me from going all the time. In the early years of my chronic pain, I had to know where the toilet was in any place I went. What hassle that was!

Today is a good day. Not worried about my meds, pain is in control, and I am more willing to accept limitations that come with nerve damage.

:-)
I have been on tramadol for 4 years. I am taking 1 200 everyday and I am addicted. I was exhibiting all the signs. Lying about how much I was using and lying to myself. I am on day 2. I stopped cold turkey. All the symptoms are there. Aches, pain, sweats, restless legs etc. The problem is I also feel way less stressed at work, sleep better and more patient with my boys. I lost 25 lbs. I just hare it when I'm down to my last 10 and how I start acting and feeling.  That right there tells me I have a issue and why I am going to kick this habit. Wish me luck and good wishes to everyone else in the same situation.
Tramadol has stop working on me after taking it for 4 yrs now, in the last two yrs I was on 4-5 (50 mg) a day. Ok what does it do to your inside (I am not a doctor - but telling from my own experience and from what others had) 1)  I heard it rots your bones 2) your Intestinal track will be messed up, you will end up with chronic loose stool, malabsorption and of course weight lost 3) messes up with your autoimmunitary system, in fact at the beginning you immune system will be really strong, gradually it becomes so strong that autoiimmunitary problems wil start (your body starts to attack or react to normal cells/organs). As long as you stay on 3 or less a day, you are more or less ok. The best is to take a day off it in between.Please feel free to correct me if what I said is not clear. Also will like to mention that there are lots of fake tramadol on the market, so do not be impress if you are taking 30 a day and no effect at all. The authorities should really be concerned with all the fake meds.
I noticed that norgesic _orphenadrine citrate can stop or decrease the withdrawal synptoms or make things easier for you if you are starting to taper. I remember I got down to 2 a day while on Norgesic. That was for 2 days only and there was a noticeable difference on me, body , skin and even believe it or not, a bit of weight in only 2 days.
Addiction with trammies is mainly because of it's serotonergic effect and not really analgesic effect, So comparing with morphine, suboxone etc is not a great idea but I will not go into a debate and lecture here. I am sure most of yous here know about the serononergic effect of tramadol.
you can switch to tramadol and go on it for yrs provided you stay on 3 or 4 (50 mg) a day or less day. If this is not enouh to relieve pain, then going on trams by increading the dose will be a bad idea, as more of it will start creating problems in the long run. It will be fantastic in the first yrs of course. Also maybe you should try to take a day off the trams in between during the week, I mean never stay on it continuously as I did.
Tramadol will start giving you problems after 4 yrs, curious to know how are U now? please tell us if you are still fine on the trams. Also just reminding yous that ultram has paracetamol on it, so when taking 300 mg of ultram, always think about the paracetamol % for your liver's health.
Gore, I just wanted to let you know that you're commenting on a very old post.  It's such an easy thing to do.  The original post was from 2007.
What such easy thing mellie? thank you for your sarcasm - If I did not need help, I would not post here. I am a disabled person, physically and a bit mentally too, I am Italian from Napoli. Old or new post does not matter, someone may respond somehow, or people might just read the info from web searches on Tramadol etc. Ssloan posted on July 2011 and yet you did not made any comment like you did on mine. Thank you once again fro you kind comment.
I HAVE BEEN ON TRAMADOL FOR FIVE YRS., IT'S IMPOSSIBLE TAPERING OFF, QUITTING COLD TURKEY, AND GETTING ANY DR. TO LISTEN TO YOU IS BASICALLY OUT OF THE QUESTION COS THEY BELIEVE ITS NOT ADDICTIVE, WELL IT IS, AND I DON'T CARE WAT A DR. OR ANYONE ELSE, SAYS ONCE U GET ON IT UR BASICALLY SCREWED IF U GET ADDICTED. I WENT A WHOLE MONTH WITH NONE AND MY ACHES AND OTHER WITHDRAWAL SYMPTOMS NEVER WENT AWAY. WHEN I STARTED OUT I WAS ONLY TAKING ONE 50MG. A DAY NOW ITS UP TO 5 OR 6 100 MG. A DAY. I KNOW FROM EXPERIENCE THAT NONE OF THIS HELPS, SO WAT A DR. TELLS U OR SOMEONE WHO HASN'T BEEN THROUGHT IT IS BS.
I truly apologize if you felt I was being sarcastic about your comment on this post.  (I had to change my screen name due to computer problems and not being able to log into MedHelp.)  I only pointed out that this was an old post and that you would get more responses to your questions if you posted a new question.

What I meant about it being easy was that sometimes an older post pops up and it's very easy to not see the date.  I've done it often myself.  When looking at older posts, sometimes the information may be outdated.  It could be that there are new medications or procedures now.

I don't always see every post here.  If I had seen Ssloan or someone else post on an old thread, I would have pointed it out, but I didn't see it.  I've had people point out to me that I was posting on an older thread and I was thankful for it.

Again, I am genuinely sorry if you felt my response was sarcastic.  It wasn't written that way.  Sometimes things come across differently in a typed response than it would have come across if the conversation was in person.

I am sorry about your disability.  I am totally disabled myself and I understand all of the issues that surround chronic pain and disability.

You're very right in that reading older posts can often be helpful but it's also important to have current information.  For example, over the years, there have been a lot of discussions about many drugs, including Tramadol, that have changed.  I hope that anyone looking for information about any medications or procedures have up-to-date information.

The Pain Management Forum is a great resource for so many people with chronic pain and disabilities, including myself.  I hope you will be an active member here as I'm sure you can bring help to other members here, as well as finding support and information for yourself.

To Darrellslady28, again, if you post a new question, you may get more responses to your question.  Tramadol, I believe, should not be stopped cold turkey as there can be a risk of seizures.  It should be tapered off.  I was on Tramadol many years ago for a short period of time but couldn't tolerate the side effects.  I wasn't on it long enough to have to deal with withdrawal.

At the time I was on it, I remember the prescribing doctor told me what a wonderful medication it was.  They believed it was a very effective pain medication and there was no worry of dependence/addiction.  Now it seems that many people have had trouble with Tramadol.  They have found it does cause dependence and/or addiction and also that the withdrawals can be very difficult.

I hope you have been able to find effective ways to handle your pain.
Hi All:

Mellie!!!  That is the new you!  :)

I was on tramadol for 4 years at the maximum pharmaceutical dose of 400 mg per day.  The tramadol I was prescribed did not contain tylenol (i.e., acetaminophen or paracetamol).  If it dose contain tylenol, I believe it is called tramacet or ultracet.  I was also told (just like Mary) that it was nonaddicting and was a great medication for pain.

It stopped working completely a year before I switched 1/2 of my daily tramadol dose to vicodin.  I had horrible withdrawals even with the addition of vicodin.  My doctor gave me ativan to help with the withdrawals.  It took about 3 months for the withdrawals to completely go away.  

Earlier this year in March I got completely off the tramadol and the vicodin as that vicodin wasn't doing much for my pain anymore and I was taking the tramadol just to prevent withdrawal (that is how much I didn't want to face the tramadol withdrawal).  But, during my normal Sunday chores, I added further injury my low back and the pain increased in intensity.  In March, I switched off both the Tramadol and Vicodin to Percocet which wasn't helping much by itself with the pain.  In April, I was put on Morphine ER with Percocet for breakthrough pain.  AMAZINGLY, I experienced ZERO tramadol withdrawal.  So it appears that if you replace it with something much more powerful, the withdrawals will be lessoned or not occur at all.

There is still a lot of debate going on with Tramadol related to its addictive properties and whether or not it is an opioid or narcotic medicine.  I wholeheartedly believe Tramadol is a opioid with weak affinity to the opioid receptors and is addictive.  

There is a new drug out there called Nycunta (or Tapentadol) and it is commonly referred to as Tramadol's big brother.  It has the same dual action of binding to opioid receptors and increasing serotonin in the brain, but it is much more stronger.  Nycunta is a schedule II drug, which requires a new written prescription every month and it cannot have refills.  The scheduling is probably because so many have had problems getting off the Tramadol either or both due to addiction and severe withdrawal symptoms, that doctors told patients were nonexistent.  

To Gore:  I don't think Tramadol rots your insides and tears up your instestines.  Too much tylenol can damage your liver though.  That is definitely true.  It just may feel like your insides are rotting because of how harsh the withdrawal is.  Regardless, the healthcare community needs to come clean about Tramadol and tell patients the truth.  

femmy
I think I dodged a bullet when the side effects of Tramadol weren't something I could tolerate.  I wasn't on it long enough to see if it was effective for my pain at the time either.  I recently inquired about Nycunta but decided to stay where I am at the moment as I'm having okay relief.  I am trying to avoid being on a long-acting med again.  It means having to deal with more pain than if I was on one, but for now, I'm okay with that.

I responded to Gore because I feel so bad he/she felt I was being sarcastic when I pointed out this was an old post.  I've often posted on an older post accidently and am glad when it's pointed out.  And while I think reading older posts can be helpful in a lot of ways, I think people need to be aware of it because so many things can change with medications, procedures, etc.

I have no idea what happened that I couldn't log in to my old account.  I tried everything but nothing worked.  And MedHelp couldn't help me either so I had to create the new profile.
So what ever happened with your tramadol addiction?  I myself take 9 50mg pills, 3 times a day.  I've had 7 grand mal seizures.  I didn't know anyone who was taking as many, until I read your story.  Now I don't feel alone.   I'm gonna try to taper down but, like you, ive tried it so many times and always the amount goes back up.  Ugh.  
Quit taking ultram!!!!!!! They cause seizures! My mother has them and takes ultram! They misdiagnosed her with epilepsy and she never even had it as a child! I have been on ultrams too for about 2 years! I recently started having them! They are awful! Awful! I wake up scared, bite my tongue, I hate seizures. I have been off of ultram now for almost a month. I quit cold turkey no tapering or anything. I have not had a seizure at all (knock on wood) in 3 weeks. Ultram is sooooo bad for u I am trying to get my mother off of them. Withdraw symptoms are HELL! There is no easier way to describe it. But, I rather be going through these symptoms then have a seizure, hit my head, die, and be away from my husband and 4 small kids. Please try to get off of them! It makes life so much better! I'm praying for u!
I too have been on tramadol and lexapro for a long time almost 4 years. I have severe mood swings now and have all the same issues with restlessness at night but days that are incredible where i feel perfect fresh alive productive. I want out though. I feel like i have turned into someone else.  
Look up the side afects and tell the doc you are having them and you dont like how it makes you feal and to please swich you back to what you wer on.
This post is from 2007! See the hourglass after the date in the first post? The hourglass means it's an old post. I do the same thing once in a while, especially when I can contribute something relevant to the discussion!
                     shinty
I have been on tramadole but abaused it I was taking  2 200g at night and 4 50g at night never new there was a come down till yestaday I'm going cold turkey and it is he'll it is the 2nd night now still no sleep  and its 430 in morning it's my legs I can not keep them in one spot I'm up every 10 mins I feel like death when I was on them I was invinsable HOW long will this last I need help
Hey you, I have been on Tramadol aka Ultram for 12 years, and like you every time I tried to get off it my pain became way too much before the withdrawals. I finally did some research to find the cause of my Xiphoid Process Pain Syndrome, and had the surgery to remove my Xiphoid Tip.

However, a year later I was still not able to stop Cold Turkey. I say never do that with this medication/DRUG. Yet, I have become committed and slowly weened myself down from 800mgs a day to now just 2 days completely off. I am still going through the withdrawals, it seems the chemical of this drug start to stick in the brain. I can not prove that as I live with Chronic Pain.

Yet, I have never had and drug and I have done many that took over more than a day to leave the system. I too was sleeping all the time, waking to gawd awful head pains, arm and hand pains, spine pain, muscles tightening, nerves compressing. Yet, at this point in my getting off it, all those things are mostly gone, and pains that would drive me nuts have repealed.

I was one of the first to use this product, so I have been on it since it was released by the FDA. I am not happy that it was promoted as a non-narcotic, but if that is so, it is not without complexity, the main one being after a time it begins to mimic your pain so when you try to stop to see how you pain is all symptoms skyrocket. After many attempts at stopping, I can say I am off it.

Yet from what I hear, it could still take another 2 - 3 weeks before this stuff is out of my system, and that is why I think this stuff gets into our brain tissue. I have brain atrophy with caused by chronic pain, or this long term use of Ultram/Tramadol.
I hope you did get off the Medication. I took up and beyond the pills you say. I had to as I was taken off Fentanyl Patches that I had been on for 5 years. My story is in here. Yet, I would go to Detox, meetings, and consider that these hellish sensations can be knocked down with some other pain medication, so you do not have to go crazy. I have been on this drug since it came out. I am now 2 days off and reading all these post to help me get through. I do believe this chemicals from this one of kind medication end up in our brain tissue and this is why it take like maybe over a month to be free. Yet, I am off and doing all I need to keep it that way.
And I get this weird pain, very deep in my bones (I don't know how to describe it)...

That is what I am dealing with. I am now 2 and a half days after 12 years of Tramadol use, I guess when the price went down from $140 for 240 pills to $16 dollars for the same amount, and being told it is non-narcotic I had found a miracle pill. NOT!

How are you today Inner brain sensation, and those what i call tugging sensations in my upper arms. I guess this withdrawal is a restless disorder brought on by the drug.
I am the rockhawk poster of 2007. Fast forward to today, and just 2 and a half days off medication. The worst things are the severe head throbs. this restless arm muscles that is unexplained. I am in an isolated area, so I do not have access to meetings or support. However, I was so glad someone posted the difference to Addiction and Physical Dependency. As this DRUG/CHEMICAL creates a one of kind.

To think it is now 11 09 2013 and there is no information on the side effects! This medication was actually keeping the pain growing. Now that it is just a little out of my system, here is what has stopped, and was the soul reason I was taking it.

Burning hands, broken glass in elbows, repetitive movements a no no, Spine pain, Lower Back that is was invented for became the worst pain while on this chemical. Stiffening of muscles, feeling of nerves even to the point of the big transfer tubes. Constipation, Sleepy all the time. Oh and the worst was whenever waking up my head would just be hell. All this while using it proper. I was just taking 100mgs every 6 hours for the last 12 years.

Feel much better at this point, and hope to never ever have to put this item into my system.
Gore, I am so glad this thread is still alive. Reading my old post, and knowing what I know now. Tramadol will not kill you, but it will prevent even the most hard self determined soul from stopping, and finding out if they can handle their chronic pain with out it. I am off it, I plan to stay off it. As a matter of fact. I am not taking any pain medications. I believe all pain has a source, and even if we can not find a surgery, there is a way to treat pain. There is a big difference between being and ADDICT and Physical Dependency. Yet all doctors in the South seem to treat pain people like addicts and refuse medications they need for peace of mind. I hope no one has to go through the hell I did to come off this medication, but I also know this is a once of a kind drug. There is nothing else like it. If you stay on it too long, it will begin to increase the pain you are using it to stop. And it does it over a long term making getting off hell.
Maybe that is the natural state of your pain. This is my fear as the days move forward. As I remind myself, I want to live with chronic pain, not be held down by it. Yet, doctors will not give me other pain medications like the Fentanyl Patch that really made life so much better. Thankfully, I was approved for Social Security, but not a day comes by in this new world order that I do not fear being taken off it by a doctor who says you are no longer disabled...
Are you off them now? What is your life like? I think at some point this medication will wear off, and not that it takes months. The problem with Chronic Pain is that unless we allow ourselves to feel it, we have no idea what the broken nervous system is causing us to feel. My symptoms are not too bad at this point. However, if they stayed at the levels when I tried to get off before the surgery. I would most likely need another medication to cope with a life long pain reality. Doctors need to treat us as people of pain, not addicts. Quality of Life rather then Quantity.....