Pain Management Community
Pulled Muscle--leg is numb

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Pulled Muscle--leg is numb

I somehow managed to pull a muscle in my right gluteus.  I'm not sure the exact muscle, but by looking at various medical images online, it appears to be somewhere in the realm of the gluteus maximus or gluteus medius area.  

Throughout the day I have been stretching, sitting, standing, walking, crouching, etc.  The pain has now traveled down the outer thigh of my right leg all the way down to my ankle and foot.  I cannot walk without a limp.  

Aside from heating pads and pain killers, how am I supposed to deal with the pain?  Even sitting is unbearable.  

What stretches can I do to alleviate this?

It sounds like what you're describing is degenerative disk disease, which can become worse over time. Given the severity of your pain and the functional limitations it's now placing on you, it probably is time to consult with a physician. You can start with your primary care physician, who can help you determine your next step or who you need to see.  Stretches isn't wise idea at moment
Hello Jram and welcome to the Pain Forum:

Unless you have back issues with the leg, I would not worry about Degenerative Disc Disease. You didn't mention anything about seeing a Doc for this. If you have, then what is his suggestion and if you haven't then you know my answer, go see one. I would think that PT might be in order. If that is unproductive then I would have some imaging done like X-Ray, CT Scan, or MRI.....please take care,
Mollyrae
Thanks.  I'm not worried about Degenerative Disk Disease.  I KNOW I pulled a muscle because I did it in a very embarrassing way...

I do not have a regular doctor because I have moved consistently every year to different areas of the state... So my options are those walk in clinics.  They can prescribe pain meds, which would be a dream come true.  

I was just wondering what I could do in the mean time to alleviate the pain, like stretching, heating pads (which haven't been working because I've been sitting on one for two days now), ice, OTC pain killers, etc.

I am also wondering why the pain goes all the way from my gluteus to my ankle... weird!
Hi Jram did you ever figure out what happened to you? I have the same situation, felt like a pulled muscle sharp excruciating pain that lasted about 1 minute- now ( 2 days later) pain is radiating down right leg, some numbness and is more painful to stand/walk than before.