Quesions about medications before steroid injections
Hi,  I am having steroid injections this coming Wednesday and was told not to take any ibuprofen, but I could take tylenol.  I don't have any in the house, but I also am having knee surgery on the 12th, and then gave me Tramadol.  I don't know if they work the same way, but I would like to know if I can take Tramadol with these injections?

Please hurry, I can't take this pain much longer.  Oh yes, and I cannot take any type of narcotic, so my only hope is this Tramadol.   Thanks.
The reason they told you not to take ibuprofen (and may have also mentioned aspirin?) - is because ibuprofen can have a blood thinning effect and therefore they want to reduce any risk of bleeding with your injection.

I don't believe Tramadol has that same potential for thinning the blood, however, I'm no doctor or pharmacist, so I would suggest putting a call in to wherever you will be getting your injection and asking them, just to be on the safe side.

Best of luck with your injections and surgery!
Usually the doctor will tell you not to take any opiates 8 or so hours before your injection if they are also injecting you with something like fentanyl along with the steroid. Tramadol is technically an opioid, although synthetic, it is still considered a narcotic. Tramadol and Tylenol are not the same as Tramadol is an opioid as well as acts as an SNRI. You should google Tramadol and read about it before you take it or call your doctor.
tylonal thins blood wouldnt take that to close to surgery, i had 6 steriod injections they never mentioned not taking anything other than nothin after midnight ask the doc who is doing the injection about tramadol...good luck 4 days post op for back surgery myself.
Hi Kenneltech,

The best suggestion above in my opinion is to call your physician. You could also call your pharmacist or PCP. I wouldn't take anything but Tylenol (acetaminophen) unless instructed to do so by your physician.

Sorry Belle, Tylenol does NOT thin the blood. It does not contain blood thinning properties, that's why it's usually approved before treatments or surgeries that bleeding may be a problem.

I wouldn't take the Tramadol either without approval. Good luck to you.

~Tuck