Pain Management Community
Question about nerve damage vs. nerve pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

My question is for those who have experienced nerve damage as a result of a car accident: What distinguishes the symptoms of nerve damage, and nerve pain from muscle tension? (I have a much longer post detailing my experience in another forum)

Also what are the major differences between an anti-inflammatory and a muscle relaxer? In terms of pain relief how are the two different in function?

Thank you in advance for any replies! I am new to this forum.
Neuropathy is a condition that is caused by damage to nerves in the person’s body.There are four basic types of nerve damage: polyneuropathy, autonomic neropathy, mononeuropathy, and mononeuritis multiplex. The most common form of neuropathy is polyneuropathy, which primarily affects the legs and feet. A less common form of neuropathy is enteric neuropathy.

SYMPTOMS & CAUSES OF NEUROPATHY: Neuropathy can be caused by things like diabetes, herpes, HIV, alcoholism, acute or chronic trauma, neurotoxins, and certain autoimmune disorders. Symptoms of neuropathy may include numbness, strange sensations, and a very distinct form of pain that is often described as a steady burning, shock, or pins and needles. The qualitative difference between ordinary pain and neuropathic pain is due to the fact that regular pain stimulates only pain nerves. Neuropathic pain, however, fires nerves that relay both painful and non-painful sensations used to distinguish between heat and cold, etc.
Anti-inflammatory drugs reduce pain and swelling where muscle relaxants control pain and muscle tension.
Hi az,

I'm sorry to hear that you were so badly injured in an accident.
In a healthy nerve signals are sent quicker and stronger than in a damaged one. There is a test that measures how fast an electrical impulse is sent through the nerve and a test thats called an electromyogram that can detect muscle disorders, there done together is alot of instances.
When a nerve is damaged it can fail to send messages to and from the brain and the spinal cord which can cause pain, loss of sensation, and an inability to control muscles.
A damaged nerve can cause alot of different symtoms (symptoms) depending on what type of damage it is and how damaged the nerve is. But pain is a good indicator that there may be a problem with the nerves.
Have you been able to find out how badly the nerves are damaged by having the test that measures how fast a signal is sent and an electromyogram that can detect if your nerve damage had caused any type of muscle disorders?
I'm defenitly not a DR, so thats just what I thought of, your DR would defenitly know what tests you need for nerve damage and what type it could be.

An anti inflamatory will help with any inflamation (inflammation) you might have and a muscle relaxer will help to lower the itensity and pain of muscle spasms. Muscles usually seize up after an injury to protect you from re-injury, but they can be really painful.

I hope the medications your getting are helping your pain and spasms and your DR is on top of what is going on.

TMA