Pain Management Community
Question on meds.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Question on meds.

On Saturday night we had a litte get together with friends. Well I was up late and knew I had to get up early so I didn't take my amitriptylin (antidepression pill) cause I knew it makes me really tired and I didn't want to over sleep, well I over slept anyway.I have been on them for not even 2 months yet. I got really sick on Sunday, felt like I had to puke all day and it didn't go away and had a headache. Sunday night I started to feel better but really weak. I took my pill before I went to bed that night and woke up yesterday weak but feeling better. I was wondering if missing a dose of a anit drespression pill will make you sick? I am on them to help with nerve pain. I have also cut back on my gabaprntin and Sunday when I realized I haven't taken one all day I took it and a couple of hours later started feeling better. Will cutting back on these pills make me sick? If you remember my nerve dr just gave up on me and my surgern is trying to find me a pain specialist to start going too and another nerve dr. I am also on darvocet which don't take the pain alway but takes the edge off. I have alot of pain in my face, some of it nerve pain and some of it not. My face is still swollen, so I really need to get to a new dr soon.
jamlws
If I understand your post, you didn't take the Amitriptyline or the correct dose at the right time of Gabapentin. It is possible that that made you feel ill coupled with the fact you were up late and didn't get proper rest. However there are so many viruses going around this time of year that it could have been a virus also. I assume you are feeling better.

The important thing to remember in the future is to take you meds as prescribed.  Amitriptyline does not leave you system right away when you cease taking it. It can take days to weeks to clear from your body so you still had the medication on board. The level would have dropped when you didn't take it but it would have not dissipated.

Gabapentin is similar though does not have as much half life as Amitriptyline.

I hope you will be able to see a PMP soon.
Hey,

From what my Doctor has told me...It's not good to miss a dose of your anti-depressant. He said that with the type I take which is Zoloft, you cannot just stop the medication. You have to wean off of it. Many of the Anti-depressants are that way.

I don't know if your feeling ill had anything to do with you not taking your anti-depressant. Only a qualified Doctor can tell you that.

I hope that you're feeling better. If it happenes again, you should consult your Doctor..

My best,
Mollyrae
I am feeling better and it could of been a 24 hour bug or something. I won't make that mistake again if it was missing my meds. I hate to feel sick it is the worst. It was just cause I was up til 4 am and I had to get up at 7 and didn't want to go to work all tired from my meds.
Usually the patient information insert for your medication will tell you what to do if you miss a dose.

And most anti-depressants should not be stopped abruptly as Mollyrae indicated but that is not what you did, you missed a dose. So be very cautious in the future.

I am glad that you are feeling better. It is any one's guess why you were ill. It could have just been from the lack of rest added in with the missed dose or as suggested earlier a bit of a virus.