Pain Management Community
RSD and Lyrica

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

RSD and Lyrica

I have had RSD for 9 years and they just put me on Lyrica to help with the pain. The lyrica has really helped
with the pain but i have gain 40 pounds will taking it. Do you know of any othe drug that you can take
to help with the weight gain.
I am in the process of weaning off of Lyrica because of the weight gain! Oh, and it didn't work for me very well, either. There is nothing, unfortunately, that you can safely take for the weight gain. It does make you retain ALOT of water, so drinking tons of water and taking a diuretic helps a bit. I asked my dr about it and he said anything you take has a chance of increases side effects, particularly high heart rates and increases your chances for sleep apnea. How long have you been on it? I have been told that at about 6 months to a year, the weight gain stops, but doesn't come off. But at the rate I was going, I would have gained 150+ pounds by that time!
I have been on Lyrica about 3 months now. The bad thing is that it is really helping me with my pain. I tryed to get off for a week and my apin went up so high that my husband told me to get back on it. I do not know what to do!!!!! Thank you so much for your help.
A non-medication option for the pain aspect of RSD is a SCS implant. It masks pain signals on the way to your brain. It doesn't get rid of pain but replaces it with bubbly or tingly feelings. It also does not get rid of the other symptoms associated with RSD like swelling. However, if your interested you can read more about SCS implants at www.controlyourpain.com.
Hi, I have also been diagnosied with RSD.  I have had the disease about a year now.  I am currently taking Neourtine and it does help.  My RSD affects my left leg and I also have spasms in that area as well.  The doctor put me on Zanaflex and that helps take them away and also helps with sleep.  As you know with this disease sleep is hard to come by.  Have you tried the sympathic blocks for the RSD?  My first one did help but after that they did not help as much I ended up having six of them.  As for as the spinal cord stimulator not all people can get them.  I just went to the doctor yesterday and met concerning this.  They place you on a trail for 7 days to see if you can take the box.  With the box only about 50% of people can get them or see any benefit from them.  They also will only place the box if you get over 50% pain relief from the device as well.  I hope I can help you with this.  I have been looking for someone that has been going thru the samething that I have went thru, with questions as well.  Best of luck to you.....Susie
I believe there is a drug called Neuontin that does the same thing as Lyrica but helps with the weight gain aspect that everyone seems to have trouble with while taking this drug.
I'm not positive that's the best choice because I don't know your case...discuss it with your doctor...let him know you don't like the weight gain...he'll switch you to something else...if he doesn't, what a ****** doctor lol...good luck!

-Danners
Hi, I'm new here and haven't a clue where to post.  I just read that some of you have RSD.  My husband has it due to a fall from his bike he had about 4 yrs ago.  He got over (we thought) until he had another fall about 4 months ago.  

We have been the therapy route, and started doing our own at home.  Is there anything anyone does that helps with the spasms.  He has them in his arms.  We don't want to go with the shots.  

Has anyone done the RIFE technique on RSD and if so have you had any luck and what frequency did you use.

We would appreciate ANY advice or help concerning RSD.  We are currently looking for a doctor in our area that knows something about RSD.  Thank you for any help.
I have had RSD for 91/2 yrs. now and I have 2 SCS implanted . I take all kinds of medication, but the one that has helped my pain is Methedone. It really helped me to live somewhat of a normal life again. I was taking Actiq 1800 lolliepops, along with several other meds, and patches and I turned into a vegetable, for over 3 years. I was so drugged up, i no longer functioned. I then started taking methedone, got rid of the Actiq. patches, and some other meds and now I am able to drive again, and live somewhat of a normal life. I do still have pain, and most likely will always have pain.