Pain Management Community
Radio Frequency obliteration Nerve block

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

I just had a procedure called a radio frequency obliteration (nerve block) on Oct 2nd and in the past this procedure has helped. The last time I had this procedure was about a year ago but I do understand the nerve grows back. I have issues with the piriformis muscle. As of today, Oct 12, I am still in pain and not getting any relief from this procedure. Can anyone advise me how long this will take to feel some type of relief. This is extremely painful to me and I am taking morphine for pain relief as needed, the pain is that bad. I don't remember from my last procedure, how long it took to get relief but could use some advise. Awaiting a prompt reply, thanks.........
If you don't recall experiencing this much pain I wouldn't hesitate calling your Dr. It's Friday and you may need to get in to see him before the weekend if your feeling really bad. It's better to be safe then sorry. I don't know very much about the procedure you had so I don't know what the recovery period is. I hope you can get your pain under control. Chronic pain is terrible. I live with it too in my lower back and leg.
Good luck to you!
Ginger
Thanks for your reply and concern Ginger. I have been doing some reading on the RFA (nerve block) and found it may take about three weeks to feel any relief. I do have an appt to see my pain mgmt doctor about that time so hopefully I can report something positive. I have a problem with what is called the piriformis muscle and this has been a constant problem with me. Not too many doctors know about this muscle but it is highly debatable in the medical community. Seems the doctors have 'mixed opinions' about the issues on this muscle. My doctor knows my medical history and followed the procedures I have had in the past with success I had from previous nerve blocks.
Yes, dealing with pain is the pits but I have had a history of this (ddd/djd). I have a history of physical therapy which has not helped any. I had to fight to get acupuncture treatments which help my upper back but stay away for the surgery sites! Every time anyone presses on these areas, it puts me in pain that I have to go to the ER for pain treatments and that is usually morphine. I did all the pain medications but they only work on the brains perception of pain and dull the senses. Then I had side effects from all the pain medication they gave me so acupuncture at present is something that helps 'certain' areas of my back problems. Better than the pain medications. At present I am taking morphine for the pain in my hip because the results of the RDA (nerve block) have not kicked in as yet. The nerves have a memory and it takes a while for the body to respond to these issues so I will give it another two weeks. I can handle that and the morphine helps (every 12 hours only).
I just remember in the past these nerve blocks have helped and the doctor followed my pain history so I guess I just have to wait for results.
Thanks for your concern and will keep posting the results as they happen.
I'm glad to hear you got your question answered. I hope that you have great results this time. I hope you start to feel better soon!
Ginger