Pain Management Community
Rapid weight gain from steroid epidurals

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

In the last three months, I have had two steroid epidurals and a 6-day pack of Medrol for back pain.  In those months I have gained over 20 pounds even though I am eating healthy.  I've had to go to an 800 calorie day diet to stop gaining.

Is there anything that can counteract the effects of this medication?  Also, can anyone who has been through this tell me how long they it took for this medicine to get out of their system and their weight get back to normal?

Thanks!
It is sad that these great drugs called steroids come with so many side effects. I am sorry that you are experiencing one of the most common, weight gain. You received a fair amount of them.

There are other causes of weight gain such as hypothyroidism and other conditions so it is always important to make sure that it is from the steroids.  But steroids can cause weight gain and it can also cause a redistribution of body fat to places that are undesirable, particularly the face, back of the neck, and abdomen. Steroids may also cause you to retain fluid (water) so that your weight increases but it will gradually decrease once you stop the medication.

An 800 calorie diet is not healthy. I encourage you to consult with your physician to order a dietary consult to help you eat healthy and still lose weight. I am sure you know that exercise is also very important. I suggest that you take your caloric intake up to 1,500 until you are able to see your physician. I have always had problems with weight gain after steroids. I almost did what you are doing but found a local weight management system and lost more than the 20 lbs I had gained on a 1,500 cal diet. It was amazing to me.

I wish you the best but please diet sensibly. Your body needs proper nutrient to remain healthy. Please let us know how you are doing. Take Care, Tuck

I really don't know what to tell you with regard to the weight gain, because when I had my spinal surgery, they put me on the Medrol DosePak afterward and I had to stop it four days into it because I developed steroid psychoses from it.  I did have a bunch of odd side effects from them, however, that took about a month to resolve after they took me off them.  I completely lost my senses of taste and smell, and it was about 30 days until they returned.  So maybe it takes about a month for your body to start to return to normal after you stop them, and at that point your body will respond normally to whatever calories you are eating each day.

Ghilly
i am schedule for an epidural. i also heard the steroids are bad for you, and weight gain is one of the major side effects. i also want to know if anyone has also experience this?
My friend and I were talking about this at lunch today.  She had the epidural and gained 20+ pounds.  She has lost maybe 10 of that and it has been 6 mths since the epidural.  I was thinking about doing it too till she told me that cause I also have hypothyroidism.  Which causes weight gain.  Then after back surgery I couldnt do much for 3 mths and I gained 10 lbs.  However I was also on steroids due to inflamation (inflammation) after surgery.   So  what to do?????????  I walk, work hard, dont eat much and still gain weight.  I wish you luck.
What is the shot in your back that is called something with the word block in it?  Side effects?  
i hear if u decide to get an epidural then do it one time and if u do not feel better than never do it again. if u feel better than maybe one more time,however to me the side effects sounds bad. i am scared to get this, especially weight gain and other side effects. what does everyone else think?