Pain Management Community
Re about how my first PM visit went

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Re about how my first PM visit went

Just an update for those who helped me the other day. I saw the PM doc and we agreed about doing a
Transforaminal Epidural Steriod Injection. I am a bit anxious about it. Heard there are lotsof side effects. And he gave me some urine test to see about my meds??? I don't understand that. Also gave me other meds to use only for severe pain??? Now I second guess my pain... I always say well do I reaally need a pill now?? I guess I'm just freaked out about all the urine tests and taking pills
I'm glad your doctor visit went well!   One thing to keep in mind about your pain meds, if the doctor prescribes a certain amount of pills per month, it's because he feels you NEED that many pills per month.  If you are really going to get a grip on the pain and manage it so that you can lead a relatively normal life in spite of the pain, remember that it is easier to prevent pain than it is to make it go away once it's there.  So if your prescription says to take one tablet every four hours for pain, then take one table every four hours.  Don't wait until you can't stand the pain any more to take the pill, because if you do that, you won't feel the full benefit of the medication and all it will do is take the edge off the pain.  The name of the game is PREVENT THE PAIN rather than making it go away once it's there.  It might take a couple of days for the meds to build up to enough of a level in your system that they are working that way, but they eventually will.

Now about the epidural steroid injection...
I am not trying to frighten you, I just want you to make the decision to have these injections from an educated viewpoint, and not to have them just because your doctor wants you to.

Epidural steroid injections have been implicated as a cause of adhesive arachnoiditis, which is what I have.  There are other ways to develop the disease, I got mine from having myelographic dye injected into my spine.  However, it has been discovered recently that epidural steroid injections are also one of the primary causes of this beast of a disease.  Before you agree to have the epidural steroid injections, read this.  You may have to cut and paste it into your browser, because I am not sure whether or not we can drop links here.  http://www.caudaequina.org/issues/spinespiders.htm  

As I said, I am NOT trying to frighten you.  I just want you to know what you could be getting into if you agree to the epidural steroid injections.  If you would like any other information about it, you can Google "adhesive arachnoiditis", or if you would like first-hand experience information about it, feel free to PM me.  Good luck!

Ghilly
Hi Angie:

I'm glad to see your appt went well. The urine test was to detct any illicit drugs in your system. The Doc doesn't know you yet and this is sort of his way of getting a feel for you. No pun intended. LOL. My guess is that he will check you periodically for any drugs that shouldn't or are suppose to be in your system so please take your meds as directed. Again, glad to see things went well. Take care...
Mollyrae
You have gotten excellent advice from Ghilly and Mollyrae. I would also suggest you research the injections before getting them and do not feel obligated to get them just because the doctor wants you to. It is completely your decision and it should not affect the relationship you have with the doctor. Also take your meds as prescribed so you can manage your pain effectively and so you will have the correct amount in your system at any given time you are asked to take test.
As Mollyrae said the doctor will do this to make sure your taking and not selling your meds. I know some PM docs test their Pt's every month but your doc may just do it periodically so either way it is very important to take your meds as he prescribes them to you. Some test test the level of meds you have in your system and some just detect if they are there. If you have any more questions please ask, someone will help you find the answers you need.
Good luck and keep us posted and were always here for support or if you just need/want to talk.