Pain Management Community
Removing pump implant

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Removing pump implant

Has anyone had a pump implant removed?  Was there any problems?
I posted last year about my pump dumping all of meds at one time and almost died.  The pump has been off since.
I thought maybe Medtronics would have offered to replace the pump so they could check it out, but they just say the pump didn't malfunction and the Doctor says he did nothing wrong.  Now, the pump has to come out!!
Jeez... that "dumping all your medication at once" screams LAWSUIT.

I'm just saying...
that's what i just thought.Would you still want the pump if they'd replace it?
I do have a lawyer now but he is waiting until after my surgery to remove pump before he does anything.  The Dr. is aware that I want the pump so I can have it checked out but I bet Medtronics will be there to get the pump before I come out of recovery.
My attorney says if they do that then it just proves someone is trying to hide something.  I will not ever have a pump again!
I will post next week sometime to let you know the outcome.
yea i had one for a while but it did not work. They removed it and started me on a regiment of medicine. It was not painful installing it or removing. Nothing to worry adout its a breeze.

Stevie59
Maybe you can get an "independent contractor" to remove the device, as opposed to your PM. If Medtronics is aware of this, they'll try and cover it up, no doubt about it. You'll be left with almost no evidence. You need to try and keep your hands on the malfunctioning pump and your lawyer then needs to have it independently tested/analyzed and have a root-cause-analysis done on the failure mode.

I know this shouldn't be about the money and should be more about your health and well being, but someone should be held accountable and be made to pay. Unfortunately, it's the only way some of the company's learn to correct profound design flaws in their products.
I would insist that a close family member is in the Operating Room with you at all times. Have that person collect the pain pump for you. Also, you  are allowed to have an advocate with you at most hospitals when having surgery. The hospital will provide you with one. As a matter of fact, if you call the hospital, they should have what is called "patient advocacy department" which would assist you in getting the pain pump back for your litigation. It would be illegal for the insurance company to try and seize it while you are under anesthesia.
I posted my question to late because the surgery was on Friday the 5th.
Thank you all who responded.  This is a great site.  The hospital would not release the pump because they said it had to go through risk management and sterilized.  It is now Wednesday the 10th and I still don't have it, but my lawyer is on them and if they are hiding something they will be named in the lawsuit also.  It was their choice.
My son has had the pump for about two years, at first we were happy with the results, then the problems started. We were told that you could not build a tolerance to the medication, which is not true.Also my son can no long go to the bathroom without using a stool softners and a enima, plus he now has to use a catheter three to four times a day. The catheter only works for him, only if he is sitting up. At first it worked when he was laying down. We tried lowering the medication by 20%, it caused him to cramp up and he couldn't move. His dosage is up to around 300 if 20% cramped him up,  just think how he would be without the pump. We were never told about these side effects which my son has to suffer with.
steve59 u did not have any withdrawls or  anything. I  want mine removed.but  the dr doesn't want to do it.                  shall I try another dr. ***@****