Pain Management Community
Removing pump implant

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Removing pump implant

Has anyone had a pump implant removed?  Was there any problems?
I posted last year about my pump dumping all of meds at one time and almost died.  The pump has been off since.
I thought maybe Medtronics would have offered to replace the pump so they could check it out, but they just say the pump didn't malfunction and the Doctor says he did nothing wrong.  Now, the pump has to come out!!
Jeez... that "dumping all your medication at once" screams LAWSUIT.

I'm just saying...
that's what i just thought.Would you still want the pump if they'd replace it?
I do have a lawyer now but he is waiting until after my surgery to remove pump before he does anything.  The Dr. is aware that I want the pump so I can have it checked out but I bet Medtronics will be there to get the pump before I come out of recovery.
My attorney says if they do that then it just proves someone is trying to hide something.  I will not ever have a pump again!
I will post next week sometime to let you know the outcome.
yea i had one for a while but it did not work. They removed it and started me on a regiment of medicine. It was not painful installing it or removing. Nothing to worry adout its a breeze.

Stevie59
Maybe you can get an "independent contractor" to remove the device, as opposed to your PM. If Medtronics is aware of this, they'll try and cover it up, no doubt about it. You'll be left with almost no evidence. You need to try and keep your hands on the malfunctioning pump and your lawyer then needs to have it independently tested/analyzed and have a root-cause-analysis done on the failure mode.

I know this shouldn't be about the money and should be more about your health and well being, but someone should be held accountable and be made to pay. Unfortunately, it's the only way some of the company's learn to correct profound design flaws in their products.
I would insist that a close family member is in the Operating Room with you at all times. Have that person collect the pain pump for you. Also, you  are allowed to have an advocate with you at most hospitals when having surgery. The hospital will provide you with one. As a matter of fact, if you call the hospital, they should have what is called "patient advocacy department" which would assist you in getting the pain pump back for your litigation. It would be illegal for the insurance company to try and seize it while you are under anesthesia.
I posted my question to late because the surgery was on Friday the 5th.
Thank you all who responded.  This is a great site.  The hospital would not release the pump because they said it had to go through risk management and sterilized.  It is now Wednesday the 10th and I still don't have it, but my lawyer is on them and if they are hiding something they will be named in the lawsuit also.  It was their choice.
My son has had the pump for about two years, at first we were happy with the results, then the problems started. We were told that you could not build a tolerance to the medication, which is not true.Also my son can no long go to the bathroom without using a stool softners and a enima, plus he now has to use a catheter three to four times a day. The catheter only works for him, only if he is sitting up. At first it worked when he was laying down. We tried lowering the medication by 20%, it caused him to cramp up and he couldn't move. His dosage is up to around 300 if 20% cramped him up,  just think how he would be without the pump. We were never told about these side effects which my son has to suffer with.
steve59 u did not have any withdrawls or  anything. I  want mine removed.but  the dr doesn't want to do it.                  shall I try another dr. ***@****
First pain pump removed got to keep it for my dad. Second one is releasing to much morphine in each dose, so is empty to soon. Dr. thinks we should wait and see. Called Meditronics and the said " if a pump is suspected to not be working, it is to be removed and sent back to their company so it can be taken apart to see IF there was a problem".  On the back of your Meditronics  card there is a phone number you can call if you have questions.  If your pump is messing up, you will never find out because they will have your pump.
Have had pump since March 2002.  Loved it and still do.  Have had various issues including reaction to morphine, not getting enough med, and when my third pump was replaced in August 2014, it got infected, neurosurgeon put me on three different antibiotics, but neither time made a return apt!!! Also there is always a Medtronic rep in the operating room with you.  The surgeon does his job, then the rep takes over and directs the doc on the steps to follow  Well, the rep "forgot" to turn my pump back on, was sent home and went thru complete withdrawal.  Did not wake up for 2-3 days, then was going thru hallucinations, etc.  Very scary.  Poor hubby thought I was just having a good sleep and did not realize my situation.  Decided this week to have pump removed because it is "running a temp" around the pump and along the catheter approximately one half length to spine.  The thermometer reads 99-102 in that area.  Anyone else have a pump with a temp???
Interesting story.

I've wanted a pump but am not a candidate because of confounding medical issues.

I wonder what the Medtronic rep has to say about a "pump with a temp"?

BTW, good decision -- you don't want that to fail.

Withdrawal can be fatal, as you now realize.

Don't you have emergency opioids at home in case pump does fail? I can feel withdrawal coming on -- surely you have some warning about pump failure. Keeping a bottle of oral or even injectable opiate around for those times makes sense to me.