Pain Management Community
Rhizotomy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Rhizotomy

Hi - I've been coping with chronic pain for the last 5 years, due to Degenerative Disk Disease.  I have had two steriod injections in C4 - C7, the most recent was two weeks ago.  Neither brought noticeable, if any, relief. I tried the oral steriods (turned me into a manic nut) prior to the second injection which was effective by the brain chemistry aspect was not pleasant.  My doctor is talking about a rhizotomy.  I am currently taking pain medication, enough to take the edge off so that I can go on with my day but the intensity of the pain is increasing.  I'm not necessarily looking for a medication solution but better the devil you know than the one you don't.  Any feedback, advice, etc on the rhizotomy would be appreciated.  I am working with a pain clinic, not an orthopaedic nor neurologist.
Thank you in advance.
Tags: rhizotomy
Hi GCF,

Welcome to the Pain Management Forum. I'm glad you found us but sorry to hear about your back pain. I did some more reading on the subject of Rhizotomy to refresh my memory. There are several types of this procedure.

Have you received significant relief from the steroid injections? According to your post the answer is no. Some of the following is taken from a informational site regarding the  procedure:
Facet Rhizotomy (also radiofrequency rhizotomy) is a minimally invasive surgical procedure done to relieve confirmed facet joint syndrome symptoms and/or degenerative facet joints. This procedure is used primarily on patients who have received positive results from several rounds of epidural injections into the facet joint. The fact that the injections relieved the pain gives the doctor a strong indication that the pain is indeed being caused by the facet joints and not some other structural concern. Note that is says for patients with positive results from steroid injections.

I have seen both positive and not so positive results from this procedure. It varies by patients degree of disease, location, skill of practitioner and similar factors. If I had this option and any chance of reducing my pain I believe I would agree to the procedure. But we are all individuals that respond differently to even identical procedures.

Others will post with there information and personal experience. Please keep in touch and let us know how you are doing and what choices you make. We all learn from one another. Best of luck and take care, Tuck  
Thanks for your response!  Please expand on the "not so positive results".  I'm in the research phase before deciding to undergo the procedure.  Your input will be valuable!
Not so positive meaning no pain releif in generally.

A very few have experienced increased pain but it is questionable if the procedure caused that increase or if the condition just worsened.

Hopefully others who have experience with this procedure will post. However Memorial Day Week-end is upon us and the forum may be less busy.

Peace, Tuck