Pain Management Community
Rib pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Rib pain

When I go to bed I start out sleeping on my left side, well about 2 months ago when I lay down on my left side it hurts  so much I have to turn over on my right side. I do have acid reflux. I have a pillow top mattress that is about 5years old. What can be my problem? Could it be my mattress?
Hi!  I am really sorry this is happening to you.  Not being able to sleep is awful.  Have you seen a GI doc about it.  It could be several things.  Gall bladder is hopping to top of my list.  But this forum is for pain patients support and advice.  We're not doctors.  But we do have some really smart members.  Welcome to our forum!  Stick around.  I'm sure someone will be along later with better advice.

I would urge you to see a GI doctor.  If he can't find the source of your pain, keep trying.  Get whatever tests you need.  If you're hurting something is wrong.

Good luck and Welcome!
Sara
NEVER MIND what I said about the gall bladder.  I didn't read your post well enough.  The gall bladder is one the right.  Brain blip!  Do a see a GI or at least your family doctor.

We want to welcome you to the Pain Management Forum. I'm really glad that you found us and I hope that you will be an active member and share your CP  (Chronic Pain) experiences with us.

I'm so sorry that you are having this problem with your pain. I definitely think Sara is correct and you should check in with a Gastroenterologist and check your GI Tract.

Please check back as more people will be on tomorrow and will have many more suggestions for you then.

We hope that you will keep us updated on what's happening with you as we will all be very concerned about how you are doing......Sherry

Have you been checked for stomach uclers? I agree to go to a Gastroenterologist or atleast your family dr to talk to them about what is going on. Not being able to sleep is the worse and it always seems to make your pain worse too.
Hope things get better for you,
Jamie
Hello and Welcome to the Pain Management Forum at MedHelp. I am glad that you took the time to post and share your pain with us. We are all chronic pain suffers and can relate to your issues.

I too have GERD, an extreme case I am told. The gastroenterologist wanted me to have surgical repair but I refused and chose the medication option. I am not sorry that I did. I do not have the rib pain that you are experiencing. I am questioning if your rib pain is unrelated to your GERD diagnosis.  

Have you seen your PCP regarding this pain? Is it new? Does it hurt at any other time? Does what you eat make a differance in the pain? Does it feel like stiffness? Can you describe your pain in more detail? Unfortunately without more information it's difficult to come up with some suggestions.

I know that if I sleep in one position too long pain (a hip, back or leg) will wake me and I have to turn. Okay, are you ready for this. I sleep best on a couch, even a bad couch. The support on my back and hips seems to be more comfortable for me. Only the sleep number bed makes a differance. Can I say that here??? :)  Guess I did.

Please see your PMP and discuss your symptoms. He/she will be able to ask the questions that will get to the source of your pain. I hope you are able to find releif. Sleep is so important to our health and general well being.

Please keep us informed. We will look forward to your updates with interest. I hope you will become active in our community. And I wish you the very best.

Take Care,
~Tuck