Pain Management Community
Right Side Pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Right Side Pain

I'm a 46 year old male. About 5 weeks ago, I notice a dull ache about 3 inches to the right of my navel. I'm naturally a worrywart, so my attention has been focused on that much of every day since then.  On a scale of 1-10 the ache is about a 1 or 2 most of the time, an occasionally a 3 or 4. It is intermittent.  I can go hours and at times a few days with no pain.  Then there are days where it seems it's on and off all day and for many days in a row.  For the last week or so, I have had more grumbling in my intestines that gets better expelling gas. The last few days, the pain occasionally has bene more intense under might right rib cage.  I can hear gurgling, but it seems I cant get the apparent gas to move. In terms of pain or gas pressure, eating doesn't change anything and it's no worse at night.  I never wake up because of it.  I also haven't really changed anything in my diet. I can press on the right side, middle and top and feel some pressure pain from pushing down.  

I have no other symptoms such as bowel changes, blood in stool, vomiting, weight loss or fatigue.  I had a full panel routine blood work up 2 months ago and everything was perfect.  

I went to my Dr today and he tested for a bacteria that would indicate an ulcer....it was negative. He also fully pressed down over my abdomen and didnt say anything bad.

He scheduled me for a CT Monday for the abdomen and pelvic region. He didn't really give me any indication of what it might be so of course, I got more worried.  Frankly, I am a basket case and fear it is colon cancer although I have no family history.  Just read too much on the darn internet.

What are possible diagnosis for my symptoms? Are there many common things it can be orginating on the right side?

God forbid it was a tumor in the colon, or elsewhere, would they find it with the CT or should I follow up with a colonoscopy?

Is it good that pain is relieved by expelling gas?

For what it's worth, I have been under a lot of stress with life changing family issues. I've also been a runner for a long time, but haven't run but once in the last 3 months. Basically no exercise

Could this all be stress related?

Any recommendations to help my situation?

Thank you
Hi!
Three possibilities come to my mind; chronic involvement of appendix (many a times ultrasound misses this as the appendix in such cases is hidden behind loops of intestine and typical symptoms of appendicitis are  absent), involvement of kidney as in infection and stone and inflammation of your intestine. Do discuss this with your doctor after you get your CT scan report. It is unlikely to be colon cancer. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.
I wish I had great advice for you, but I've never felt what you described. I'm sorry you're not feeling well. Does it hurt when you run or did you stop because of your stress increase? Some good exercise would sure help your stress. Maybe that would lessen the weight on your shoulders and help you narrow down your worries.