Pain Management Community
Right upper quadrant pain, nausea, and back pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

I'm a 17 year old male and my gallbladder was removed two weeks ago. The healing process was fine I didn't need to take any pain meds and really went back to my normal lifestyle after getting out of the hospital. A few days ago I started having pain back where my gallbladder used to be and I just figured that was normal since I haven't had any pain yet. The next day, yesterday, in the morning I was having some chest pain and the right upper quadrant area was still hurting. Then on the way to school the pain became so bad I was doubled over, nausea came over me and I almost threw up in the school parking lot. I went home and the pain eventually went down but never really left. Then at around 330 the pain came back and was a lot worse so I ended up going to the emergency room. I have had a CT scan, x-ray, and bloodwork done but it is all relatively normal except my liver enzymes are elevated. This pain isn't going away and I was wondering what could be wrong, if it could be my liver or my heart or what? The surgeon from my gallbladder is backing off and it looks like I might be back where I was two days ago, home and in agony. Please help!
Hi!
One possibility of the pain is a stone in the common bile duct or the pancreatic duct that was missed. Another possibility is severe acidity. The third possibility is an abscess under the incision. Liver infection, pancreatitis, and duodenal ulcer are a few other causes that need to be ruled out. If all these causes are ruled out, then it could be due to adhesions and this can only be diagnosed by laparotomy. Since a confirmed diagnosis cannot be given on net please discuss with your doctor once. Hope this helps. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.