Pain Management Community
Roxicodone shortage. Are you having to change your medications because ...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Roxicodone shortage. Are you having to change your medications because of the shortage?

I have been taking the roxicodone ( oxycodone IR) for awhile and had to have them switched to a different medication because no one around here ( Florida) has them. Ethex is under FDA investigation and they have stopped all medications there so there is only one company now (malikroft) and they are really seriously backed up on orders.
This is so very frustrating as I was doing well on the meds for break thru pain.
Are you having to change your medication regimen because of this problem?
I would love to hear your thoughts on this:)
hello,  well don't think i can offer a solution, but i can relate to your problem  I live in Frankfort,Ky and have had trouble getting morphine 30 mg. IR. Two of the pharmacies were out of them and one (kroger) doesn't even carry them. They only carry the extended release ones.  They are more than double the cost also.  I lost my insurance so i have to pay myself now.  I had to get my doctor to change from ER to IR two months ago due to the cost.  Also if  you are taking roxicodone for break thru pain, what are you taking for your chronic pain.  Also,  my doctor says there is no such thing as break thru pain.  He finally gave me 5mg. norco (hydrocodone)  pills to take in between the morphine. I do have break thru pain though.  Also,  how long have you been pain med?  Have you had to have increase due to tolerance?  I have trouble getting my md to up the dosage.  i am only on 120 mg per 24 hours. I have been on this amount for atleast 6 months.  I am sure you are frustraded.  I bet that Ethex under investigation will cause me more trouble also. That is the company that i get my morphine from too.  Good luck!!!  Write back please.  I am very interested in your answers.  Thanks,  Janem502
I live in VT and a couple of months ago i was given a script for oxy and the pharmacies in our county couldn't get their hands on it until hte middle of March. they said it was backed up. I thought it was just my area because we have had a lot of pharmacy robberies for this stuff. they were able to locate some from another pharmacy out of state. I don't usually take pain pills but the pain in my back as bad. it is just a slipped disc (T-4/T-5) I can live with the.. they are going to give me epidural injections. we originally thought it was one of my tumors growing there.
well I hope you won't have anymore trouble.
michelle
Hi Sandee,
There is an issue obtaining oxycodone IR in Wisconsin also. My father was just released from the hospital on Wednesday with a DX (diagnosis) of 2 compression FX (fractures). While hospitalized he was receiving oxycodone 2-5mg tablets. Upon release I could not get his prescription filled. My pharmacist says it has not been available to the public in WI for over 5 weeks due to a problem with the largest manufacture of the drug. Hospitals and trauma centers are able to obtain limited supplies. His PCP changed the prescription to Percodan (oxycodone with acetaminophen). Apparently they are available, at least in our state. You may want to ask your PMP for Percocets or Percodans depending on what you can tolerate.

I hope you are able to find something that will work for you very soon.

Janem,
Your physician is the only one I have heard of that does not beleive in break through pain.  All physicians have their own personal beliefs but this is a new one for me. I have ever heard of that opinion from a physician and I know of many.....but than mine isn't convinced that Fibro really is a condition by itself (we all know that she is in error). But she does beleive in break through pain.

this is unusual because this situation has been brewing for quite awile. there are many companies around the world who make short acting oxycodone preparations. no shortage here (oz). don't know why other sources haven't been fully utilised. not good for ppl who really rely on it. sorry about that
    I have been on the same dose for a really long time. I was started out on hydrocodone and then swithched to 20mg oxycontin  years ago and just last year I had it increased to three a day instead of two. My doctor wants to raise my dose but I really am against it until I absolutely have to because I will have to take pain medications the rest of my life and if I keep raising my dosage now I will have no where to go but back to the beginning if I reach a point where I am unable to increase my meds when I need it.This is why I am upset about the med shortage because I was on hydrocodone for break thru pain and I changed it to oxycodone at a higher dose so that I did not have to up my oxycontin level and it was doing fine. I went without my medications for my two daughters and I am worse now pain wise and it was HORRIBLE then. So that's why I keep my dosage low as possible, I hope to never have to go thru that again. Maybe its good that I do know what its like without the pain meds because I understand what its like to go without any. I truly don't ever want to go thru that again.
I have been waiting on my doctors research on tolerance issues and pain meds. I will post it soon as I get it.
I do know every doctor is different as far as what they believe to be true as far as chronic pain. My doctor ( has done research) says you do not become tolerant to your meds your condition gets worse instead. We debated this here and are still waiting for me to post the research on it.
Generally doctors use break thru meds when your on a ER formula instead of a IR, so maybe thats what your doctor meant. As you say you had to change from the ER to the IR. (because of the cost)
When one gets to a point where they can no longer increase the amount of meds they are taking they will have to go off all medications and essentially start over from the beginning. This is what I meant when I said I do not want to go thru this again as I did when I stopped my meds when I was pregnant with my two daughters.
This also helped with my dosage too as I had to take less than before when went back on the meds after having my girls.