Pain Management Community
SCS.. How does it feel

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

SCS.. How does it feel

I've been a prisoner of pain for well over 10 years.  I have digenerative disk disease coupled with severe arthritus, have had 2 sugeries removing partial disk and vertebrae resulting in massive scar tissue and nerve damage.  Currently wear a 100mcg fentanyl patch and taking 3600mg neurontin, 30mg oxicodone daily.  I am waiting on approval from my insurance company for a Spinal Cord Stimulator (SCS).  Has anybody had this done?  How does it feel? The related support videos only tell success stories but briefly mention it is not for everyone.  After 10 years of opiates I am worried about the w/d effects just to find out if the SCS will work for me.  Any advice and experience comments are more than welcome.
I don't want to be a downer but my husband tried this and it failed to relieve the pain. In fact it was painful and had it removed after only 3 days into the trial. He has stenosis so the two electrodes were really in a tight spot. I hope it works for you.
Hi Resorttech,

Welcome to the Pain Mangement Forum of MedHelp. I am glad that you found us but sorry to hear about your chronic pain. We can relate!

I have heard reports of no releif or complications from SCS such as Bastet posted and I have heard others say they don't know why they didn't do it sooner. Some research reports that more than 60% of people receiving spinal cord stimulation for low back and leg pain (with or without previous surgery) have successful pain reduction. But there are many factors that go into those numbers. Some of factors include the amount of time you have suffered with chronic pain, placement of the device, the skill of the practitioner and the specific condition causing the pain and the specific condition of the patient.

I will not seriously consider it as I my body seems to operate under Murphy's Law, anything that can go wrong, will go wrong. My PCP agrees with me.

I do know that they do a trial implant that should give you a good idea of how well it will treat your pain. Your physician will wean you off or down on your opiates. That's part of the process. I hope you will let us know how you are doing and how well the SCS works for you. I wish you the best of luck.

Take Care,
Tuck
Hi Resort_Tech

I am also considering having the spinal cord stimulator surgery.  I broke my back 2 1/2 years ago in a horseback riding accident and have been in constant pain ever since.  I had T12 Kyphoplasty surgery to repair the crushed vertebrae in my back, but the pain from the nerves has been terrible.  I have done physical therapy, medications, epidural steroid injections, facet nerve blocks and most recently radio frequency nerve ablation.  The radio frequency works pretty well once your body heals (takes 1 to 4 weeks) but it has only been lasting a little over 6 months for me.  It helps with the pain during this time, but only if I continue to take it easy.  I want to be able to be more active, so this is why I am investigating the spinal cord stimulator.  I would like to be more in control of my pain and be able to adjust my method of pain control with my level of activity.

If you go on www.youtube.com and do a search for spinal cord stimulator, you will find multiple videos of actual patients having the procedure done and their outcomes.  I hope this helps you in your search for relief.

Good luck,

LissaValenz