Pain Management Community
Scalp Tenderness

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Scalp Tenderness

I have been experiencing tenderness of teh scalp at the back of my head on teh right side.  If I apply pressure it feels tender and it is a feeling similar to when you have your hair pulled back. It comes and goes away on its own.  I am not talking any pain medication for this. I see this on and off. Is this anxiety related or should I be concerned abt this?

Phyiscal activity and exercisong kind of helps.
Hi Heavyhead,

Welcome to MH. I am, sorry to hear bout your scalp tenderness. It is not a common complaint heard on this forum. It must be irritating.

My research tells me there are several causes for this condition. One is allergy. If you have used a new shampoo, detergent, fabric softener, dish soaps, even hand soaps or lotion as we touch our hair and scalp more often than we realize.

I've even read that an old injury can crop of symptoms later and materialize as scalp tenderness. Since everything is attached to your spine, and in the occurrence that your spine is in one way or another injured, then this can very well affect your head and cause tenderness of the scalp. Therefore it is a possibility that your tender scalp is not an actual scalp condition, but a back or spine condition.

Scalp tenderness can also be caused by a dermatitis or inflammatory disorders. The causes and possibilities are just too numerous to list. What is important it that you make an appointment to see your PCP for a clinical exam and investigation to determine the cause.  

Others will post with their ideas and suggestions We'll be watching for your updates. Please let us know how you are doing. Good luck and take care, Tuck
Thanks Tuckamore! This is useful; yes I have chronic lower back pain for almost 3 years now; but it has gotten better in the last few months. The back pain is kind of gone and manageable.

Also I did straigthen my hair in September'08 and have been using a diff shampoo and conditioner.  The pain is kind of like  scalp/skull pain. I am not sure if there are pain receptors on bones. It could be the blood vessels. The pain comes and goes.

I'll consult with my PCP also. Thanks for your inputs.
You're welcome. Did your scalp/skull pain begin with the straightening of your hair? That could be a key.

It is possible to have skull pain. That is usually considered bone pain and related to several conditions. The important thing is that you get it checked out by your PCP. And I imagine it could be vessel related but you would think you would experience more of a headache like pain.

I'll watch for your progress with interest.
Hi, I hope you can shed some light on my problem without referring me to a doctor, as I do not have one nor do I have insurance.  For many years I have suffered from severe scalp pain which comes starts about 2 weeks after I color my hair and continues until I color again, etc.  It is slightly less painful right after a shampoo, which I do 2-3 times weekly.  Could it be the hair color causing this (I have changed brands several times but to no avail) or could I have become addictive to it?  Thanks, I would really like to find the source.  I do suffer from allergies, however, I have pin pointed the pain to the color times.