Severe, unexplained heel pain
Hello all.  I am an otherwise healthy, (formerly) active 29-year old male.  About three months ago I began experiencing severe, random pain at the top of my heel in my right foot. No discernible triggers. The first time it occurred I was sitting on a friend's porch, and since then it has happened when I was walking, sitting, lying down, and has even woken me screaming from a dead sleep on occasion. When it happens the pain is anywhere from a 6 to a 10, lasting from 1-15 seconds.  Typically it will happen at least a few times a day (some days as many as a dozen time), and is debilitating when it does. Lately there has also been a consistent dull ache for small stretches.

I've seen several doctors and specialists, and they're all fairly baffled.  A month in PT made no noticeable difference in the frequency or severity of the episodes, and X-rays, MRI, and bloodwork (not sure what tests were ran) all came back normal.  I was actually told I have a "very healthy looking foot".  The only thing that has helped is a Lidoderm patch, which seems to dull the pain to the point where I don't have to fight the urge to scream when it goes off, but it's still very uncomfortable.  Any ideas?
Oops, also forgot to mention: EMG test also came back normal.
Update:  The pain has been increasing in frequency and strength, and is now at an 8 or 9 when it occurs even while using the patch.  Also (possibly unrelated), I've been started to experience shortness of breath for certain periods.
Me too, I have this weird and horrible heel pain on my left that wakes me at night. I mean it is terrible, probably a 9 or 10 for about one minute. I grab my heel and hold it as hard as I can until it gradually subsides. I have no injury, it never bothers me during the day. It's like every other night I wake up in severe pain. Help ***@****
It is important to make an accurate diagnosis of the cause of your pain so that appropriate treatment can be directed at the cause. Possible causes include plantar fasciitis, stress fracture, tarsal tunnel syndrome, retrocalcaneal bursitis etc.

In the meantime, try avoiding the precipitating activity,apply cold packs, and use of shoe inserts might help.

Take care!