Pain Management Community
Severe Back and Body Pain After Rest

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Severe Back and Body Pain After Rest

Ok, here is the long and short of it. For the past four years I have been unable to sleep on my bed, because when I do, if I can manage to fall asleep at all, I wake up in extreme pain and discomfort. The pain radiates from my lower back, through my hips and legs (making it sometimes impossible to walk for several hours after I get up - in fact sometimes it feel like my hip has been dislocated), and up into my ribs and chest (making it difficult and very painful to try and breath). The solution I have found for this is that I sleep on my couch - crazily enough it seems to work. I sometimes wake up with mild pain, but it's  tolerable and goes away in a few hours.

So, here are a few more facts. I'm overweight, it's a problem, I'm working on it, but it isn't going to just magically not become a problem in any short amount of time. The work I do requires me to sit for 8 or more hours a day in front of a computer, I don't have a chair with lumbar support, however I have fixed this with the clever use of a pillow. I also don't work normal hours, I usually get to work about 1 p.m. and don't go to bed till 3-5 a.m. Also, 5 years ago I was sleeping on a mattress without problems at all, then I moved away from home for 6 months and while in California I worked at Office Depot full time as a cashier. At the end of six months I moved back home, within days of being back home I found out that sleeping on any bed caused me this extreme pain.

So, what have I done to try and fix this? I am on my third mattress, I have tried hard and soft, even a semi-water bed mattress with no relief. I have tried anti-inflammatory drugs, using heat and cold, stretching, walking before bed, using pillows between my legs, under my back, etc. You name it, I've tried it, and with no relief.

Up until now, it wasn't such a big deal, I live alone, sleeping on my couch is fine because there isn't anyone around to pitch a fit. Problem is that I will very soon be moving in with someone, and I need to be able to sleep in my own bed - but if the pain persists, I don't know what I'm going to do. Does anyone have some of these same problems, is there anything I haven't thought of that can help?
Sorry. I have no idea...........but, if the couch is the only thing that helps you for now, then put a couch in your bedroom instead of a bed.  

Perhaps you might need a bed like a hospital bed that can be adjusted.  You might not be able to sleep flat.  

Also, consider the pillow you are using.  It might be as simple as that.  
I'm so sorry that you're having these problems.  I've always had problems with my neck and now my lower back.  I'm not overweight at all, just lots of pain issues.

I sleep in a recliner many nights.  The bed hurts too bad.  The recliner is on the same line of thought as a hospital bed the Irenak suggested.  The hospital bed would be best but you might try putting a recliner in your room.

Also, her idea about the pillows is good.  Make sure you put one under your knees if you're on your back and between the knees if you're on your side.  They make some great body pillows.

Good luck. I really hope that you find some relief.

Sara
Do you notice that when you're sleeping on the couch that you're in a bit of a more upright position that when you're in the bed?  If so, it could be that you need to "recreate" than incline in your bed.  You could either get some of the bed raisers that they sell at like Walmart and put them under the head of your bed only, or you can purchase a bed or sleep wedge at places like Bed Bath and Beyond - it's just a large wedge pillow that you can either use alone or add your regular pillow to it.  It also works great for GERD symptoms at night because it keeps your upper body slightly elevated.  I cannot sleep flat on my back (anywhere) or else I wake with horrible back pains that go all the way down my legs also, so I currently am using several pillows to "prop" myself in a more upright position - I had one of the bed wedges, but I need to get a new one.

I hope you find a way to sleep - it sure is terrible not being able to sleep comfortably.  I personally would love to get a hospital bed for at home - would make life so much easier - however, they usually are not covered by insurance, so it's pretty much out of the question at this point.  I think another thing that would greatly help me would be one of those Sleep Number beds - that way I can adjust the firmness according to how I'm feeling - however, again, the cost is quite prohibitive.
Thank you all for your replies, however I have tired all of your suggestions - the pillow under my knees, and the wedge to prop my back up, none of which alleviates the pain.

And I would just switch out my bed with the couch, except the person I am moving in with is my future husband, and I assume its tradition to share a bed with them... :)
Look around for a good chiropractor and get serious about losing weight.  
Hi Leshafer,

Welcome to MedHelp's Pain Management Forum. I am sorry I am tardy to your thread.

I rarely sleep in a bed. I too have gone through numerous mattresses from water bed to pillow-top to hard. I've tried varying types of devices to no avail. I tried a popular mattress in the Hyatt Regency several times. The well advertised mattress is extremely comfortable and I can sleep on it. However the king size costs 3k and after purchasing the other mattresses I am stuck with what I have. I don't want to plug a product on the board....but I assume you can guess what mattress I am talking about. ....So I sleep on the couch also.

Sleeping on the couch supports your back. You lean against it and your back does not have to do the work of supporting your entire body. That means less morning pain for some on us. So it's the couch for me.

You right. Your future husband would probably like you to share a bed with him. It's tradition. :o)  My current husband feels the same. Sometimes I start the night in bed but always wake and move to the couch. I've explained to my husband it's not him!!! It's my beat up body that demands I sleep with back support.

Good luck Leshafer. It's my bet your future husband loves you enough he'll take half nights.  :o)

~Tuck
Hi, I'm a 27 year old f I'm having the same problem with pains in my back neck  and abdomen plus pains if I take a deep breath but only wen I exhale not inhale  after sleepin, I sleep on my right side and have done for many years, I have only started with all theese problems since having gall stones and removal ov my gallbladder I have had xrays abdominal scans and numerous blood test even ecg's wich have all come bk fine if anyone could help plz I'm at my whits end I have four young children to care for so I am exhausted a lot of the time thankyou