Pain Management Community
Severe Chest pain relieved by cold water

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

I hope I got the right Forum for this...

I'm a 51 year old male and for the past 16 months I have had a strange pain happen to me at random times.  I call it a "severe flash pain" for lack of a better description. It is located in my chest behind the sternum and slightly to the right (not the heart side).  The pain area radiates about the size of a softball and happens very fast with no or little warning.  I have even been raised from sleep with this pain.  I get it at work, at home, pretty much any time of day.  I can’t seem to nail down what triggers the pain like meal time, too much stress, fatty foods, etc. The weird part is this: I get myself to cold water as fast as I can and drink it quickly.  Almost as fast as the pain arrived…it goes away.  The pain is severe and the rush to find cold water is in panic mode to be sure.  I even had to get a cup out of the trash once since there were none around during an attack!  I don’t think it’s a heart issue but I just don’t know.  I do drink coffee in the mornings, don’t exercise much as I should, but I don’t know if that’s it.

DeBug
Hello DeBug,

Welcome to the Pain Management Forum. I am so sorry to hear about your attacks of sudden severe chest pain.

The obvious first thought is cardiac. The pain doesn't have to be exactly over your heart or on the left side.....however drinking cold water should not relieve cardiac symptoms. If anything it should make it worse. But I am far from an expert. So I cannot say for certain that it is not cardiac.  

It's possible it is a gastrointestinal problem. Ppl with GERD (Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease) or similar conditions are often able to relieve their symptoms, at least temporarily with a glass of cold water...that is factual.  Obviously you cannot be diagnosed over the internet...it's a risky thing to do. I encourage you to consult with your PCP. Do you take anything for GERD?

Please keep in touch and let us know how you are doing. I will be very interested to hear the results of your consult.

Best of Luck to You,
~Tuck
I meant to add that you are always welcome here. Right forum or not!  :o)

You may also want to post on our Gastroenterolgy Forum....but please let us know how you are doing too. Here's the link:

http://www.medhelp.org/forums/Gastroenterology/show/68

Looking forward to your updates.

~Tuck
In addition to what Tuck mentioned, I was also thinking possible esophageal spasm - perhaps the cold water kind of "zaps" the spasm out.

Like Tuck, I'm no doctor, so am only giving my opinion/idea.

I hope you find some answers.
Thanks Tuck and GeminiGirl for your help!  That is very kind of you both to take the time to read and respond.

I have not heard of GERD but will Google that to see what I can see.  The esopageal spasm looks like a possiblility as well.  I have not see a doc as I have no health insurance and will need to do what I can do on my own first.  

DeBug
I have the exact same problem. Water relieves the pain. I am 35 and thought it was heartattack, but its not. With me it starts in the sternum and goes around the entire ribcage. It must feel like this to be strangled by a Anaconda.
I too have these symptoms. They occur infrequently and cant pin down why or how they arise. However, drinking cold drink relieves it and without it it gets progressively worse, hence the panic to get water down asap. i can feel the liquid go down and somehow relieve the pain almost as quickly as it arrived. As sense of anxiety and being overwhelmed persists for a while though. I havnt yet discussed with a doctor and would be interested to learn of others diagnosis.
I too have this problem. I am a 61-year old female and identify with everything that Rockhopper600 says.  The pain is sudden and frightening, and of course I immediately think heart attack.  Although I am reading all of the posts, and have some spare time today to surf the Internet, I haven't seen what is actually causing the pain.  This sudden pain happened to me once when I was driving and unfortunately had no water in the car.  I stopped at a gas station to get some water, and had to wait in an extremely long (it seemed) line.  So I now keep a bottle of water in the car at all times.  I am glad to know that the cause is not a heart attack.  Thanks for all your comments.
I too get chest pains that i have been associating with gas pains that are almost immediately relieved by ice water. I am glad to hear I'm not crazy but would like to know if it really is just gas pains that have travelled to the upper chest. My pain is more like pressure in the middle of the chest, or a heavy weight. There have been no other symptoms like left arm tingle or anything else.
I also have the same prob it feels so bad sometimes I fell like i cant breath.When i get water I fell it go down and it starts to go away.Mine always starts in the morning after I get moving around ,but I also drink water all day after that cause I work in a very hot plant or outside doing something. But when it hits me it can put me on the ground if i don't get any water.I'm 27year old male
Hi Matt,

Sorry to hear you are having like pains.  I have noticed that the frequency has gone down for me but I still get the sudden pains and can always get the pain to stop with cold water.  I sleep with a glass next to my bed for the night ones.  I still know what causes it or why cold water works but I'm sure it's not a heart attack...at least that's someting.   Let me know if you find anything out.

DeBug
I guess I was both happy and sad to hear that others have this "thing" with the pain and the cold water.  It's been almost a year now and I went several months without any problems.  I did get quite a few the last couple of months but the cold water always does the trick.  In fact, I've had this so long now that I can calmly deal with the pain (less panic) and just seek out water as quick as I can.  The only issue I had was getting an attack on the road and having to wait in line at a food/gas stop to buy a bottled water...it took forever and I thought I was going to pass out!

DeBug
Hi, I also get this pain it radiates up into my jaw and nose and for a while i took rennie and that kind of thing but sat for an hour or more in severe pain and it usually comes on in the night.  I spoke to the doctor about this and she seemed to think it was my esophogus(sure not spelt right but the tube your food goes down) going into a spasm and i have done the same thing and I drink some water as soon as possible and it clears straight away.  So i think she was right and by doing that it jumps back but no wiser to why it does it but quite scary.
I have had this exact thing for several years.  Sometimes I will go 5 or 6 weeks and then suddenly out of nowhere I have one.  Mine starts with kind of a burning in my stomach and then it even goes into my neck and jaw and chest and the pain is horrible.  I always have a bottle of water with me anywhere I am, even church.  It's the only way to relieve it.  I had a bad one last night.  I live in fear that one of these days the water won't work.  I can't find anyone who knows what it is but I am glad I'm not alone in this.  
Barbara .
I have been having this problem since 2000.  I do not get it often (at one point, I began to write down when I got them & have gone as long as 8 months in between) & I cannot see any pattern.  I have the “episodes” when either sitting or more often when sleeping.  It wasn't until after about 3 of them that I found drinking water immediately resolved the problem.  Enduring the episode without water was extremely painful, but was less alarmed when I realized that I could breathe fine throughout.  I once brought it up to my doctor, who immediately suggested a multitude of tests.  Since I had been having the episodes for so long & didn't believe it to be a heart problem, I waved off the Doctor's suggestions for complicated & expensive tests.  However I still do not have any idea what it actually is.
I have the same problem.  I discovered (by internet search) it might be esophageal spasm.  Since this is an internal organ, I suppose that is how it feels when it spasms, so it's UNlike any regular muscle spasm.
I have a question for everyone to ask yourself: how much coffee do you drink?  This is a hunch.  I drink quite a bunch, and it may have upset my stomach acid balance, which may in turn have had esophagus effects.
I also am pretty sure this is related to basic dehydration.  I know I'm dehydrated when major muscles (quads, calf, sides, abs) go charlie horse on me, and they have been lately.
I had that "gonna die" feeling today.  Luckily, I was almost home from work and was able to drink water to make my heart attack (pun) go away.
Also, for everyone, look up "japanese water treatment."  There is some kind of fad going on over there that is being hailed as a cure for many bodily disturbances, and it's as simple as drinking a healthy dose of water in the morning (I'm talking like 4 to 6 cups).
Funny, noone has mentioned gall bladder problems.  It camn cause very sharp pain.  I used to get them but never tried water  I went to my doctor who did a number of tests that said I had a very badly infected gallbladder.
Am a 51 year old female who has suffered with these sudden, terrible chest spasms for 2 years.  At first I thought I was having heart problems and a cardiologist performed a thalium stress test and looked at my heart with a C-scan...everything looked fine.  My pain, I discovered later, can be allieviated by drinking icy water.  The curious thing is I just had an Upper GI and the doc said there is no sign of GERD!  He thought it could perhaps be esophogeal spasm and possibly GERD that just wasn't showing up in the upper GI.  I just wish someone could definitively diagnose this as it is worrisome and interferes with my life!  I am sorry to here that others are dealing with this but incredibly relieved to know that I am not losing my mind and the only one who has this!  The three doctors I've been to all act totally baffled!
Hi....I have these exact symptoms and don't have a gall bladder, so I don't know if that is it necessarily.  You should have your gall bladder checked out, though...test in non-invasive and who knows?
I too suffer from this exact same thing. I have had it for 15 years and I am 48 yrs old. Sometimes I have it frequent and other times every so often. Have told my Dr about it and she just said its acid reflux but acid reducers don't help. I do not have a gallbladder and do not drink coffee and I do not go anywhere without water. Please if anyone figures out what this is, post it on this page!
I am a 63 y.o. male and have had the exact symptoms mentioned in this post since about age 27.  The pain will wake me up at night, but as soon as I get up and drink water, it goes away.  It will also happen if I sit in a slouchy position, as in slumped over reading a book.  It used to scare me but have learned to live with it.  Dr.'s off-the-cuff comments have included indigestion and possible hernia.  Since it has been going on so long, I have just learned to live with it.  Sorry others have the same problem, but it's reassuring you're not orbiting the ozone layer solo.
Well it's been about 2 years since I started this thread and it is both helpful and scary to see so many others with the same thing.  I have not had as many this year as last year but I do still get that pain and it still is quenched with cold water.  If I had to make a guess as to the cause it would be the  esophageal spasm because perhaps the cold water will shock the muscle to the extent that it stops the spasm.  Does anyone know how to test this guess? -- DeBug
During the holidays, as I was getting ready for bed one weeknight, I realized that due to a hectic work schedule, a holiday luncheon & out with friends after work, that I had drank no water at all that day.  Sure enough, I woke during the night with one of these episodes.  I think you may be "right on" about it being caused by dehydration.  I recommend that everyone begin monitoring their intake of water & see if this helps.
Hi gail1619,

I had one just this morning and a glass of cold water knocked it right out.  I ate chicken parmesan (1/2 order) the night before at dinner time with a small glass of milk.  I don't recall the amount of water I drank yesterday but I do remember drinking 3 or 4 large glasses of unsweetened iced tea.
I have not noticed the pains as it relates to not getting enough water but I will take notice to see if there is a cause and effect for me as well.  I would think that if the pain was related directly to the dehydration that we would see a larger group of people with the pain since dehydration seems to be fairly common.  You never know and of course I'm just guessing.  If I got the pain everyday I'll bet I could figure it out but my frequency is just not enough for that.  There are times where a second glass of water is needed to lower the pain all the way down.
I'm now 59 years old and have had this "chest lock" as I call it since one day when I was 25 in a meeting I thought I was having a heart attack. Intuitively I knew to drink water and and sure enough it worked. Immediately worked. Over the years I get a sense an attack is imminent, either night or day,  and rush to the sink to pour a glass of water. Even though it is now over thirty years of putting up with this I know I will never get over the initial panic of not being quick enough to get to water.  When it comes on, sufferers will know what I mean by that, sometimes I just get a feeling that something is wrong, then I get strange tugs in either my neck or chest and I know the horrible thing will come into my life once again. I'm sure it is a spasm linked to the sphincter at the bottom of the oesephegus. so a little bit of gerd triggering it, (hence it might not show up on scans)and a big lot of sympathetic spasm.
I am sorry to see that no one has ever posted the results of a doctors visit with this pain. My husband is 32 with a family history of heart attacks and he has been experiencing this pain for the past two years. He never goes anywhere with out something to drink. After reading different things on heart disease I read about angidus sorry if I didn't spell it right but I was worried that this was what he was experiencing. Anyways I will not let up on him until he makes it to the doctors so I will try and post his doctors opinion ASAP. Esphogous problems would be a welcomed relieve after everything I have been dreading!! This forums are great for just about anything we just have to remember to follow through with a conclusion when we get one:)
Sincerely Mrsmick
I had an echocardiagram, umpteen x rays and ecg's. I paid for a full heart work out from bupa. nothing organically wrong with the ticker I'm pleased to see. I was heavily hypothyroid at one time and now on thyroxing so don't know if that is a predictor of "chest lock" or not.
hope your chap is okay, but if the symptoms are relieved by drinking water I've been told its unlikely to be a cardiomyopathy or arterial disease.
can't find "angidus" anywhere. can you explain what you found out and how the sympoms of "angidus"  fits the experiences  as described in the various threads.
Like the rest of you, I have suffered with this same pain and my drinking water always relieves the symptoms immediately.  Cold or tap doesn't matter...just getting the water down quickly does the trick.   I carry my own Rubbermaid 20 oz bottle of water everywhere.

I used to experience GERD but took the 2 week OTC remedy (I think it was Pepcid or whatever) solved the problem there.  My chest pains still persisted.   I could not nail down the cause (yes, I drink coffee but not very often...even after stopping for a month, I continued to have these pains periodically no matter what I ate or drank).

I've been to the doctor as I have a "hot spot" on my thyroid (one spot does about 85% of the work of my thyroid and all blood levels are fine) which makes me look like I have a bit of an Adam's Apple.  I was told by an internist that some day I will have to have 1/2 my thyroid out and that when that time presents itself, I will probably get shaky of hand.  ...I have not as of yet (it's been over a year since that diagnosis).

I also was told I have Barrett's Esophagus.  You should look it up for details but here are some points to ponder.

Points to Remember:

1.  Barrett’s esophagus is a condition in which the tissue lining the esophagus is replaced by tissue that is similar to the intestinal lining.

2.  The true prevalence of Barrett’s esophagus is unknown, but it is estimated to affect 1.6 to 6.8 percent of people.

3.  The exact cause of Barrett’s esophagus is unknown, but gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) is a risk factor for the condition.

4.  Between 5 and 10 percent of people with GERD develop Barrett’s esophagus. Other risk factors include obesity—specifically high levels of belly fat—and smoking. Some studies suggest that genetics, or inherited genes, may play a role.

5.  Barrett’s esophagus is diagnosed with an upper gastrointestinal (GI) endoscopy and biopsy.

6.  The risk of esophageal adenocarcinoma in people with Barrett’s esophagus is about 0.5 percent per year.

7.  A health care provider will discuss treatment options for Barrett’s esophagus based on the person’s overall health, whether dysplasia is present, and, if so, the severity of the dysplasia.

8.  Treatment options include medication, endoscopic ablative therapies, endoscopic mucosal resection, and surgery.

I am in my early 50s, a female, and have been overweight for quite some time...with belly fat.  So losing weight is important to me, though doing it is difficult for many reasons.   I firmly believe that weight loss will improve my symptoms but being a chef, it's a difficult thing!

I hope this helps all of you.  We may all be experiencing the same thing, Barrett's Esophagus.  I KNOW that is a problem I have, weather this pain I, and we all experience, is a result of Barrett's or not, I cannot say.

Peace to you all.

Loving it in the PacNW

i have these synthomes.  cold water most the time relieves it but sometimes no. i get dizzy sweats and breath heavy during the spasam
I have just happened upon this thread and I have the exact same problem. I have had this for about a year, I am 47.

I first got this when I was driving, I had to pull over and got out the car to breathe deeply. The pain went away in about 2 or 3 mins. I had it 3 times before I realised water made it go away. I then got it about 2-3 times a month until March this year where it's frequency is increasing. I have 3 episodes in teh last week.

Like everyone else water makes it go away immediately, its strange. However the last few times I have had to take more and more water for it to go away and I am worried that I may get to a stage when water doesn't work. I now make sure I carry water everywhere I go as I need it immediately when teh pain comes on.

I went to my GP and he did test for acid reflux etc but to no avail so I will be watching with interest too see if anyone comes up with a diagnosis or even a cause.
Wow, and I thought I was the only one on this planet with this stupid condition. In fact I had an episode only a few hours ago, drunk some water, and the pain was gone.
Had this for the 1st time about 15 yearts ago, I am 55M.
Symptoms come very irregular and unprodiceted, but about 1 episode/month.
By the way, I never drink any coffee (ZeroKelvin somewhere at the top).
I also read the Wiki Barrett (PacNW)...pretty scary. I think I will visit my GP with this story and take it from there.
Many thnx to everyone on this forum for all you input and advise. It realy makes me feel that I am not alone.
Cheers, Marel
At least for me, cold water works better than room temp.  I also have noticed that some episodes require more water to get relief than others.  Hope this helps you!

Doug
Hi Marel,

Do you have a link to the wiki you mentioned in your post.  I would like to read that.

DeBug
Thank you for your very detailed write up on 'Barrett's Esophagus'.  It is helpful to know what might be the cause of this by knowing all the possibilities.  

DeBug
Please find link to Wiki Barrets...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barrett's_esophagus

Greetz, Marel
Were you diagnosed with Barrett's Esophagus by a physician and was that the result of an upper GI?  I see where you were told that you had Barrett's Esophagus but was not sure if that was the results of testing.  Also, I see another person in our 'group' had an upper GI but did not find Barrett's Esop.

DeBug
My (less than stellar) response back from the NDDIC after I asked them to look at our group thread here on MedHelp:

Thank you for contacting the National Digestive Diseases Information Clearinghouse (NDDIC)...The NDDIC is an information and organization referral service.  We are not medical specialists and cannot provide medical advice or opinions.  We suggest you speak with your primary care physician regarding your concerns.  A doctor who has examined you and knows your medical history is the best person to provide you with specific health care advice.

The National Library of Medicine’s MedlinePlus provides a consumer-friendly listing of organizations to assist in the search for physicians and other health professionals at www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/directories.html.

We hope you find this information helpful.
...
For information about participating in clinical studies funded by the National Institutes of Health (NIH), see www.ClinicalTrials.gov.

The NDDIC has developed valuable tools and resources for consumers. The NIDDK Image Library is a database of original full-color and black-and-white images available in low, medium, and high resolutions.  The Interactive Health Education Tools from the NIH is a collection of health quizzes, tutorials, podcasts, streaming audio files, and surgical videos that can be used to learn about diseases, conditions, diagnostic procedures, and treatments.  All of these resources are services of the NDDIC and can be accessed online at www.digestive.niddk.nih.gov/resources.

If you need further information, please contact us by mail, phone, or email at

National Digestive Diseases Information Clearinghouse
2 Information Way
Bethesda, MD  20892–3570
Phone:  1–800–891–5389
TTY:  1–866–569–1162
Fax:  703–738–4929
Email:  ***@****
Internet:  www.digestive.niddk.nih.gov

for about 3 years now i have had this issue with a tight pain almost in the center of my chest and the only thing that works is running as fast as i can for the COLDEST THING TO DRINK!... i as well thought this was just something weird with my body... sometimes the pain seems to go into my arm and into my mouth a bit but only if i dont get something to drink.. i just had an attack not 45 minutes ago and i searched GOOGLE and found this site and this part of the site right away.signed up and commented.i see my doctor in 4 weeks.i will ASAP talk to him about it.im only 36 i wonder if this is young for this? it started at 32-33 ... anyway i just wanted to say that im nother human being with the same issue. thank you for having me. i take other prescribed meds that i wonder as well might cause it.i cant narrow down how an attack in brought on. before i had the cold drink thing i remembered the first few attacks lasted hours and i was even in bed just rolling around.i mean on the pain scale of 1-10 it was a 10. thanx for letting me share here.
i also had  a few attacks before i learned about the cold water or really anything cold wll work..im telling you the best for me anyway is actually MILK poured over ice very fast and then drank..the pain is almost ASAP gone...instead of water where sometimes it has not worked.anyway like i was saying  the first few attacks i didnt know the water trick at all.i had an attack at work one day finally and i was starting to even panic the pain was so bad i was losing my breathe and even panicking.anyway on the way to the bathroom i hit the watr fountain and like a minute later i could literally feel the water taking the pain away... from now on i dont go anywhere withouta thermos of icecold something. STAY PREPARED!  
THANK YOU!
I am a 75 year old female and I have been plagued with chest pains off and on for most of my adult life.  Numerous heart tests (EKG, Stress, etc.) have been done and there's nothing wrong with my heart or my lungs.  Through a process of elimination I have discovered that vitamin C and other vitamins that I take sometimes in mega doses causes the pain most of the time.  Now I believe that I have an answer to combat that.  I take 3 tbs. of vinegar in a couple ounces of water (I use all natural apple cider vinegar with the mother in it), and the pain goes away.  In conclusion I believe that it is gas.  As I stated at the beginning, none of my health professionals were ever able to come up with a reason for my chest pain.  This is my own belief and it is working every time after suffering for decades (since my early 20s).  

THE SAME THING IS HAPPENING TO ME PLUS I HAVE TO USE OXYGEN FOR AN HOUR OR SO. I have had a cardiac workup. my heart is fine but this pain sometimes it feels as if Icant breathe.
i am really trying to work on this then more then just the water...so i have watched through my day.. i realized on thing so far. i takiea medication in the BENZO family for panic attacks. about 50% of the time i take it about 15-20 miuts later one of the attacks happens. just an update.-peter
i think what you mean is Angina. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angina_pectoris

maybe ,maybe not?
alo i am following up with my doc as well with this and will post what is found.{sorry dont mean to be  post hog}
I am off for an endoscopy in early September which should hopefully shed some light on this problem. I am now getting these spasms daily and luckily cold water still stops it. I will post when I know the outcome.
Wow this gives me relief!!! I got this feeling 16 years ago and have been trying to get to the bottom of this...Thank you everyone for your time to explain. I am 51 years young and not over weight and do not drink coffee and eat really healthy and get these attacks when I feel a little stressed. It started happening to me when I was pregnant with twins...I thought I was going to die...I always have water with me where ever I go...also remember do NOT leave water in plastic bottles in your car...it is poison...one of these days this will be reconized to help us all and we can find an easy solution to get to the bottom of this, sometimes I drink a teaspoon of baking soda with ice water and it clears all gas in the body that is stuck some where...good luck to all
I am also a fellow sufferer of this crazy chest pain. I have seen my GI (I also have Crohn's disease) & originally thought it was an ulcer. My very first attack was so painful & strong, the pain went from the center of my chest, up
My right arm & into my jaw on the right side. In the beginning, drinking anything would make the pain much much worse. Over time I started to have up to five attacks a day. They would all stop me in my tracks. Two days in a row I could not eat bc the pain in the center of my chest was so painful any time food went down the pipe. Originally when I told my GI about how drinking anything caused unbearable pain, he told me "sounds just like esophogeal spasms"-
Evidently if its a spasm, drinking is the worst thing to do. I've had X-rays, barium swallow tests, cat scans of the abdomens, sonograms & tons of bloodwork. It's definitely not stones from the gallbladder, it's not ulcers, GERD or spasms. Here is what I do know:
I was having several episodes daily and started to research extensively. I know we have so many nerves running through our bodies that referred pain can make it very confusing. I started to believe it was fatty liver disease. I started taking Livatone Plus, and started juicing to see if that helped
Detox my liver. Sure enough I found out that I did (still do) have non alcoholic fatty liver disease. But once I started the Livatone plus and the juicing, my episodes have nearly stopped all together. In fact in one month I have had a total of 4. Massive difference and change. This is what worked for me. I still believe it maybe has something to do with some sort of spasm perhaps. I was even put on nitroglycerin (esophogus is made from the same tissues in our hearts)... And it never worked. If it was a spasm it should've worked but only managed to give me a nasty headache. Since I started detoxing my liver & trying to reverse the NA fatty liver disease, I've almost gotten rid of these painful attacks. I can always feel one coming as I get this weird tightness sensation in the back of my throat. That's when I know I have a matter of seconds to grab ice cold water. Don't try drinking anything carbonated! I found out the hard way with that too, it doesn't work! Maybe some of this helped- I hope so, bc it sure is scary when it happens and maddening to not know. Btw, I am a 39 yr old female and have had this since Jan of this year. Good luck!
Hi all, I'm 43 and from England, I to have these pains and have had them on and off for around 15 years, I think it's safe to rule out heart attacks. Mine starts deep inside my ear (right ear) and then spreads to the chest front and back, sure enough as soon as I drink ice cold water it's gone! I would like to ask if anyone has been diagnosed with Anxiety? I know  I suffer from low levels of Anxiety, I also believe this to be stress related and have noticed from previous attacks and been aware of how stressed I have been feeling (my job has alot of stress) I work in a police control room so stress levels are high, don't get me wrong, I don't conciously feel stressed but have noticed when they come there has been some stress involved. Just my thoughts, I do know how these pains feel and cold water is the only thing thats solves this. hang in there guys we will get to the bottom of this. Ps I did ask a Dr who I work with who just shrugged his shoulders and said if cold water works then fine? hhmmm
Sorry forgot to add, I cycle about 40 miles a week, Jog twice a week ( about five miles each time) So I can safely say it's not something that comes from being unfit, I have never had pain at anytime during exercise. just for those who feel fitness is an issue.
I have been having these things for years.  I posted here Aug. 2012.  I average about two a month but have gone six weeks without one.  They come on without warning so I have a bottle of water in my car at all times.  Last night I felt one coming on and thought I would just see how long it would last if I tried to just wait it out without the water.  It started in my stomach and chest and spread up to my neck and jaw and even ears.  It hurt so freaking bad I ran for the cold water and it was instant relief.  I don't know how anyone could stand it without the water or I suppose anything cold to drink would work if you drank it fast.  I am healthy, exercise regularly and have no medical problems of any kind.  This is a mystery, but thank goodness for cold water.
Hi Barbara,

I too have tried to withhold the cold water to see what would happen...usually when I get these at night and I'm not in the mood to get up and run to the kitchen for some cold water. Anyway, if the pain is mild I can lay still and fight the pain for quite some time to see if it will peak and then subside without the water. Each time I've tried, the pain does not go away and I give up to get the water bottle and leave it on my nightstand. As far as frequency, I too have weeks where I get absolutely no events followed by periods where I get a few per day. I simply can not figure it out.

DeBug

Well, I guess it's not gonna kill us so thats a good thing. LOL  I  too keep a bottle of water on the night stand.  Good luck to you (us) and although I hate that others are suffering this mystery ailment. I am sure glad I'm not alone in this boat!!  
Thanks for your site.  You saved me from the emergency room tonight.  (This was my first attack.)  

My symptoms began in my right jaw (tightening) and then pain traveled into my chest (center right).  The sharper it got, the tighter my entire jaw got.  

I ended up on the floor and freaked my husband out... he thought it was a heart attack.  The pain was intense, but also kind of felt like a large piece of food was caught in my esophagus- but with sooo much sharp pain.  

I drank a whole bottle of water and it helped relieve the pain in my chest and my jaw loosened too.  However, 5 minutes later it happened again and I repeated with another water bottle.  My husband also brought me a few aspirin (just in case).

It's been about 40 minutes now and I have a migraine (I had a persistent headache a few hours ago).  

Also, earlier this evening, I noticed my lips were very dry.  (So I suspect dehydration.)

I do not have any reflux and rarely need an antacid.  However, I did have gastroesophogeal reflux as an infant, due to the "flap" not grown in properly (family genetic thing) for almost my first year.  And I was Bulemic as a teen.  So maybe all this puts me at a higher risk for it.  Additionally, I have been told (10 years ago) that my liver could have issues.  I am 48.  I am about 25 pounds overweight, but am in excellent health and a little low on the exercise.

I will mention this episode to my doc and ask for tests as I want to rule out this Barrett's Esophagus thing.  That cancer statistic is just way too high to ignore.

Has anyone else experienced headache?  Though, I am prone to migraines too.
happen to me at walmart today, scary i just ran to the drink section and open a water bottle im 34 y male.
It was just like i knew what i what i needed, wierd , quess im caring water with from now on , cuz that was freaking scary, hurt som bad
I have had this condition for 11 years. It is good to hear that some people get pain in their ear and jaw. I noticed everyone is mentioning the right side. Is this a factor for everyone? I am keeping a log and it seems to be getting more frequent. I once drank out of a bathroom sink as I could not find any drinking fountain close. I had severe jaw pain a couple of weeks ago and went to a dentist. He mentioned a neurologist. Has anyone had this recommendation? I live with bipolar and my pdoc says that it not anxiety related. I too try to have water with me at all times.
I am a 46 year old male and had the exact same thing for about 10 years. (on the right side only) After the frequency of attacks increased and made me too water dependent, I decided to see a doctor. She told me to start by cutting out alcohol, coffee, and chocolate.

I cut out the last two 100%, drank less, and felt much better. Attacks went down to zero. I now occasionally drink coffee and have a little chocolate and consequently symptoms have come back. I think i am going back to avoiding coffee and chocolate completely. Staying hydrated is something i now do naturally.

Btw, my 13 year old boy just started to have the same symptoms. Just last night he woke up in bad pain and cold water did the trick.
Thank you so very much for starting this Blog.  I thought I was going crazy.  I have these attacks freguently and cold water will immediately stop the pain.  I can feel the water going down soothing the pain as it goes down.  I have no idea what starts it.  For the first time I had the pain last night in bed.  It usually happens at work, especially when I'm bending down for something.  I will run, knocking over anyone in my way, to get to cold water when these numbing attacks happen.  Please if anyone finds out what causes this, post it right away.  I will always come back here to check. While I'm gald I'm not alone, I'm really sadden that so many are affected by this.  It's sad but I had an attack while posting this.  Good luck everybody.
The first post on the subject i.e. "Severe Chest pain relieved by cold water" was written on Jan 6, 2011 by DeBug.  Today is Feb 10, 2014 and there is no response from a medical professional.

It is shocking to me that not one single physician has clarified or provided a reliable lead which may help us solve this mysterious ailment that afflicts us (myself included).  What is the medical community afraid of, liability - well that can easily be taken care of if any physician responding could describe what (s)he says "for informational purposes only" and "please talk to your family physician to obtain a diagnosis of your condition" or words to that effect.

Is any physician listening?  If not can the webmaster or someone else at medhelp.org call attention to this thread.

The first paragraph in the "About Us" section of medhelp.org states:

"Founded in 1994 out of a shared need for better medical information and support, MedHelp is the pioneer in online health communities. The MedHelp site connects people with the leading medical experts and others who have similar experiences."

Can anyone at MedHelp call physicians' attention to this discussion thread PLEASE.

Hoping we can get the right person's attention.
I've had this symptom (tightness in the chest that radiates outward, tightness in the jaw that radiates downward along throat and then chest) for a few years now. When it first happened, I went to see a cardio and had a workup that included ekg, stress test, blood works.  Everything was normal.  Im 48W.

The attacks don't happen often. Only a few times a year. But it is scary. And the instant I drink water (room temp or cold) it goes away immediately.

I have chucked it to dehydration. Since dehydration can cause muscle spasms.  I have kept myself fairly well hydrated so it hasn't been happening lately. Hope this helps.
Sorry to hear that you have these same problems. I have not been able to figure out what causes the attacks or why cold water 'fixes' it so fast. I did reach out to specific medical teams (see previous posts) but the response was 'see your physician'. Not the help I was looking for. I still hold out hope that a student or doctor would take the challenge to interview a few of us and create a study to help solve the problem. It's been a few years now so I don't see that happening anytime soon. If only there were a drug company that could make millions...then there would be a study. Sarcasm aside, please do stay connected to this site and keep us posted.

Best Regards,

DeBug
Hi Spyce,

I would like to hear from the others if they also think it could be a simple dehydration issue. My thought is that I'm not sure how long it takes to re-hydrate your body from the time you start to swallow to the point were the existing dehydration does not trigger the pain. I'm not sure. I do know that the cold water has a very fast acting effect.

Thank you for your post and again I would ask others to comment.

Best Regards,

DeBug
Hi LastLyricm,

Thank you for your comments :)  I'm also bewildered at the lack of trained medical attention and possible resolution to this problem. If you read back many posts ago, you will see where I even contacted medical professionals to see if someone, anyone, any team, any med students, would take this on. Surely there are enough of us to volunteer to go to a hospital network in our areas to be examined. Not to be too cynical but sometimes I think that 'studies' are only done by drug companies trying to turn a buck. I hope that I am wrong.

Best Regards,

DeBug
I think I've managed to read the entire thread and am saddened that no one has come back on with a more definitive diagnosis from their doctor. I've had this since the mid-nineties and it was originally diagnosed as Prinzmetal's Angina (because it always happens when I am at rest, not during exertion). This diagnosis came from a heart specialist, my belief as an "I don't know what the  heck is wrong with you" response. Numerous doctors have since debunked that diagnosis (unfortunately the diagnosis has caused a number of problems with health insurance though). I was on nitro (to no avail) and only discovered the water relief recently - so suffered intensely for many years.

A couple of years ago I was taken to hospital and yet another heart specialist weighed in. He believed it was not Prinzmetal's Angina, but perhaps something menopause related since he'd had some female patients over 50 complain about it, and with that said, I was dismissed as unimportant enough to follow up (I'll point out at that the doctor was male at this time - grrrr). Considering the number of obviously "male" persons posting in this thread, I'm going to go ahead and consider this doctor to be incorrect, insensitive, potentially incompetent, and perhaps a tad sexist. ;-)

I've seen a number of suggestions in this thread for it being Barrett's Esophagus, asophagial spasms, GERD etc, but in checking symptoms I never see anything about the jaw tingling & earaches that I experience, nor does any of the available information offer gulping down water (or liquid) as a treatment or immediate solution.

With regard to the numerous suggestions that this is digestion related, I had a hiatus hernia (misdiagnosed) for over twenty years and I can tell you that the pain is nothing like the heartburn & indigestion I used to suffer from with that. Also, these chest pain episodes began a few years prior to being cured of the hiatus hernia (with laparascopic fundoplication surgery) and they continue to this day. I was scoped and had two surgeons doing the surgery....so my thinking is that if any of those gastro problems mentioned in this thread (Barrett's Esophagus, asophagial spasms, GERD etc) were the problem, you would think someone would have seen something before and/or during the surgery???

I always get an earache just prior to my episodes, (and yes it is in the right ear)....but I haven't noticed anyone else mentioning earaches????

With regard to being dehydrated, I suffer from migraines only when there isn't enough humidity in the house, so I keep a humidifier going beside me at all times (when winter hits) and drink plenty of fluids...all this to say that I stay fairly well hydrated and yet I still experience these episodes.

I will check back from time to time because it would be awesome if a medical person would weigh-in and or someone is lucky to get a proper diagnosis and treatment options!!

What about this?  Third paragraph from the bottom of the article.  I Ctrl-F searched the word "relieved."  I have this too.

http://www.disabled-world.com/artman/publish/chest-pain.shtml
I wrote in Aug of last year about how I also suffer with these painful chest attacks. I reported that I attempted to detox my liver & went on a juicing fast. I was desperate to make these things stop. I am sad to tell you they have been back in full force. Only thing that helps.... Cold water! I have noticed a small trend w/mine. That is any time I start to get emotional, upset or any type of stress, I get them almost immediately. Something as little as being at Joanne's fabric store & not being able to find the right fabric (which in my head was no big deal), but bc of the "stress", my 14 yr old daughter had to run to the front & grab me a bottle of water. I am not so sensitive that something as ridiculous as that stresses me out. Evidently my body thought differently.

I did mention in my original posting that I have Crohn's disease. I've also found out I have lupus on top of that- both are auto immune diseases. I can't even blame that for this bc so many of you are healthy otherwise.

I've talked extensively to my 3 different doctors about this. I have had so many tests done, rx written for me from nitroglycerin to anti depressants. None have made these chest attacks stop or even get better. They come in waves sometimes & have no rhyme or reasons. I've learned the hard way to never be w/out a bottle of water.

I have also tried to go as long as I can, to see how long I could take this or to see what happens. For me, the pain just continued to get worse & worse & more pronounced in my jaw, ear, down my arm... And every time ALWAYS on my right side.

I do believe it's probably spasms. But something IS causing this TO spasm. So what IS it? I too, am stunned that zero medical professionals have chimed in to help us. I'll continue to update as I have more tests done & talk to my doctor. Maybe I'll get an answer soon. I see my GI doc & my rheumatologist on 4/9. I'll definitely ask again & post my findings. Hang in there everyone.
Funbutton42: I forgot to mention that I read the article you suggested & that's spot on. For those who didn't read it, it talks about esophagus spasms & how they're relieved by drinking cold water. My GI doc told me that drinking anything would make a spasm worse. So who's right? The cardiac specialist or the GI specialist?!
I too read the link from funbutton42 and that's the first thing I've read from anything remotely diagnostic related to our unique pain. I'm not sure about the GI saying that drinking anything making the spasm worse. I know I've used ice on other muscles that I can reach like leg or back muscles to quell pain. I do see a difference in drinking cold vs. room temperature water. Cold water seems to work faster and lasts longer. Perhaps the cold water 'shocks' the spasm into relaxing.

DeBug
have had this over many yrs but much more latley, once a day and at night.
absolutly cannot pin down why or when. i have good diet ,swim, drink loads of water. i think mabye food comes back up esophagus hence when i drink mabye it washes it back down??? but it can happen on empty stomach. i have no idea. was going to go to my dr but dont think i will bother seeing tho so many have and still no answer. its a drag but i feel not so alone now
I had a really strong one tonight.. I have been having these for years.. maybe 15 yrs or so.. Sometimes it starts as a squeezing pain in the chest.. and sometimes in ears or jaw. I have panic disorder.. and long standing Gerd and Barrett's Esphogitis.... I don't get the FOOD stuck feeling.. just the chest pain and 50 percent of the time panicky. What I have found that stops it as well or even better than the water is getting a piece of bread... chewing it up fast as possible and taking a big swallow and chasing it with a big gulp of water. It is kind of like the bread going down massages the esophagus and the pain goes away within seconds.
Tonight I got it and drank some water.. the pain went away.. then came back a minute or so later... then used water again only for it to come back.. I freaked a bit and went and did the bread thing... that took the pain away but by that time I was pretty freaked out.... Nevertheless I walked around the house with my arms stretched up.. and after a few belches I felt better.. and after an hour my mind then calmed down.. Meaning that it was not saying , "Well maybe this is your heart etc.."
Sometimes the bread or water stops it immediately.. and I am good to go... other times when it re-occurs as it did tonight is when I get more freaked.
I have identified certain things that might trigger these episodes and try to remember to avoid.
1. Eating to fast or too much at a time
2. Certain foods that are acidic in nature or that I have eaten before getting a spasm.
3. My posture after having ate..
* My episode tonight started from having ate a whole bunch of popcorn and then sitting on the coach with a pillow on the lap and leaning forward to the computer..* The pillow was pushing into the soft area right below the sternum.--- and being stressed out..
***For me having the pain isn't the most pleasant thing... what is most distressing is the fear that it could be cardiac related even though I have had so many episodes in the past.
A few times to put my mind at ease.. I get up and start doing rapid deep knee bends with my back straight... I do about 50 of them.. The pain doesn't get worse and it goes away... So there ! If it was cardiac.. the pain would most likely NOT go away and likely get worse.
In closing I am basically 100% sure that these episodes are not cardiac related as is my doctor... and even though I have had some assurance.. there are times where I think something is really wrong.
I do remember having an upper endoscopy procedure which I was totally awake for.. and when he was taking biopsies from the esophagus and when it was complete I did get spasms... thinking the procedure irritated things.
*** When getting esophageal spasms I have been careful not to drink too much water... that just gets me more bloated which puts more pressure on the LES (Lower Esophageal Sphincter).
----------
Would love to hear comments to this LONG post.. thanks so much for reading.
Peace and Love to all!
Hi all.. In my earlier post I stated I would update after seeing my doctor. I have now seen all 3 of my doctors (one is my PCP, one is GI, one is rheumy) and not one of them can explain what this is.  In fact they look at me like I'm an alien & say "so keep drinking cold water when this happens". I finally hit a wall (of frustration) and told my doctor "Look, I am not imagining this! There are dozens of people having my same issue & someone needs to figure this out"!  He said to me again "this sounds like spasms in the esophagus". I asked why the nitroglycerin tablets do not help & he told me they don't always do the trick. He told me there are other medications to try but bc of my ongoing health issues he won't rx any right now.
I wanted to mention that it's still happens to me when I feel any sort of stress. This could be stress from a difficult conversation, stress from traffic, etc. and again I am not a sensitive person but evidently our bodies do not like stress. It also happens any time I bear down, even a little- from a hard laugh, when using the restroom (TMI, but it happens), or an emotional cry. I've even gotten an attack from yelling down the street to my child! It seems anytime I make the center of my diaphragm work, it causes another attack. I'll keep updating as I won't take "I don't knows" any longer from my doctors. It's ridiculous that not one of us can get an answer & I don't know about y'all, but I am tired of always worrying about having cold water with me!
Oh a quick question- how many of us have had an upper GI scope? I read somewhere about the spasms starting after a scope. Something about the esophagus protesting a foreign object near it. Just another thought! Good luck folks! I attempted to not drink water again when it happened & I wanted TO DIE!! No thank you! Hope everyone is doing ok! :-)
I would not recommend the cold water as it itself for me causes them.. Of course everyone is different... the idea is to get the esophagus to stop the spasm right?   For me grabbing a piece of bread. ... taking a larger one than normal and chasing it with some water.. .stops it usually within 30 second or less....  I did get scoped and after he was done got several...  There is a test to see if you are getting spasms.. I believe it is a test where you have a small tube left down in there and it will record your results definitively.
The fact that it happens when you crunch down... or are emotionally upset leads me to believe it is a spasm...  I try and be proactive by not drinking cold liquids.. by eating really slow and smaller meals as well.  I also stay completely away from acid producing foods such as: Tomato's, Spices, Onions etc.  If Nitro is not helping it...  I am guessing that is a good sign because that suggests that there is a good chance it isn't heart related right?   I feel for you and hope that you find a way to stop them in their tracks if and when you get another one!   Be well!  Peace
Like most people on here - a fellow sufferer and relieved that I'm not the only one!
First suffered this in while up a ladder in 2002 aged 35 (Male - English). Pain starts in chest and rapidly continues into neck and jaw. Fortunately during the first attack I drank cold water and was amazed at how quickly it cleared.
Probably have 3 or 4 attacks a year and it is always during the day and is stopped by drinking anything cold.
Have always thought it was Angina or something like that and have always intended to get it checked out by a Doctor - glad I didn't bother now!
Have completely ruled out dehydration or having eaten something specific, stress or physical exertion.
I will keep an eye on this site to see if anyone can come up with a definitive answer. Until then - keep drinking the water everyone....
I'm a 17-year-old female, and like everyone else on here, I've had the same strange chest (sometimes spreading to my upper back or arms) pain that can be dispelled by cold water. It's been happening for four years. I drink a lot of water and swim for part of the year, but it never seems to correlate in any way with my exercise, diet, or water intake. It can happen at any time of day or night. If I don't drink water, I start shaking and sweating and it worsens. Just thought I'd add my experience because of my age difference.
I have had these strange pains for years as well...shooting pains in my chest, jaw, and arms.  The first time I had it I was driving and thought I was having a heart attack.  I went to the emergency room and all my test and stats were fine.  
I looked this up today because I had another attack while driving, but didn't have any water!  It was horrible and then you panic.  Luckily got to a gas station and got some water - solved.  It really is the weirdest thing and it just happens out of nowhere.  I really do believe it is dehydration because thinking back to yesterday, I didn't drink my normal amount of water because I was busy. 40, white, female
Hi Tesshigh,

Well you seem to be one of the younger folks here that suffer from this weird condition. Most of us can't seem to figure out what triggers the attack. Dehydration has been suggested but many feel that is not the case.

Please let the group know if you find any other information or have any suggestions. I know most of us carry water everywhere we go because you never know when it's going to happen.

DeBug  
Hi HeatherAnn73,

Sorry to hear you have this too. Like you, I had an attack while driving and found a gas station with bottled water. The line was so long that I finished the water before I had a chance to pay for it. The clerk just rang up the empty bottle. I've even had to get a cup from a trash can (at the time I didn't think I could just cup my hand) when having a really severe attack. Sometimes you simply panic because the pain is very intense.  

Please do keep the group informed with you progress and any helpful ideas or tricks that work for you.

Best Regards,

DeBug
Hi folks im 53 and from England and now and had this problem  for a few years. ive had 3 attacks in a year now and when the pain comes it really does come and you feel like your going to die but i came across the water relieving remedy by chance then started to do research on this topic and arrived here.
i am saddend to see so many of us suffer from this damn pain and really hope one of us can soon find a remedy
Hi all,

Has anyone noted or found a difference when exercising either more or less than normal? I seem to have fewer attacks during the summer when I'm more active and having regular aerobic type of exercises. Has anyone had an attack while doing aerobic exercises?

Best Regards,

DeBug
hey i forget if i already commented here or not..im sorry..

im pete. i just wanted to add that i talked directly to my doctor about this issue and how COLD WATER s the only thing that helps.. i dont know about you guys but it is emergency type of pain that comes on.. i had it for a few years and then months ago searched Google..this topic just popped back up in my email and had recent attack-so came back to comment.
first my  doctor said that basically and he is brutally honest...UNTIL ENOUGH FOLKS HAVE THE ISSUE AND MONEY CAN BE MADE FROM IT,,EASILY..ie-PILLS..then COLD WATER IS ABOUT AL I HAVE!!

i have learned though that when taking my one medication ..i take meds..one of them after about 15 minutes i get an attack but i have learned that if i keep sipping cold water for about 30 minutes after i take the medicine i don't get the attack..  other times though they are just random and so bad i will pull over and run into anywhere that has water fountain!!!!  -also i remember before i discovered the cold water trick..which im guessing  like lots of folks i discovered it on my own.-BUT-before that i remember laying in bed for hours holding my chest....   also what scares me is sometimes NOTHING WORKS STILL!!!!! thanx guys-pete
DeBug, for me personally, it doesn't matter if I am exercising or not, they're pretty even.
What bothers me is that every now & then, the way I feel it will change. I use to know they were coming bc I would get a tightness in my throat. Other times there is no warning & my entire chest has streaks of pain running through it. And some of the other times it feels like a lot of pressure.

I agree with you Pete, some times it seems to take a lot more water to make the pain stop & that concerns me. I've wondered what would happen if the water doesn't help. Maybe I'll try the bread trick someone mentioned above! I have tried to let it go as long as I can to see what would happen & yeah, I don't recommend that!

I think it must be one of two things-- either it's an esophageal spasm that could be related to heartburn, acid reflux, GERD, etc OR something to do with the liver. I don't know for a fact, just a hunch I feel.

Sure wish someone knew for certain so I didn't have to go off my intuition!
Good afternoon everyone, I was doing an internet search about this issue and I too I'm having this some problem relieved with water. As for a dr the only thing so far that I've had was an upper GI and they found nothing. I have read most all the comments here and haven't seen anything about taking Flexeril... Yes sounds strange but I take it on occasion for back pain and after the last month and a half I can directly link it to helping the pain not happen... On the days I would take 1 or 2 of them in the morning or evening I noticed this chest pain not occurring. I ran out of them three days ago and it's been horrible as far as the chest pain... I found 1 pill I had sit aside and took it this morning and as of 6:30 pm have had no pain in my chest... Does this make since to anyone??
Sorry I also forgot to mention... When this happens during the night when I'm sleeping it's always when I lay on my left side... The pain has never occurred as I slept on my right side
I have had this problem for 36 years. When I was in my 30s I was sitting on the floor writing out cards and leaning forward. I got this pain radiating up the center of my chest and got in the car and drove myself to the hospital in our community. I was told I did not have a heart attack. It happens about 3 times a year. Water always relieves it and if I do not have water I have to suffer for 20 minutes until it passes. The last time I was in church at a funeral and couldn't get to water. Sometimes I break out in a sweat. I have other heart issues including Atrial Fibrillation but there is no connection. I think dehydration also plays a factor because I never drink enough water. Was glad to read the other comments.
I have had this same issue EXCEPT that the pain isn't in the chest..it starts around the natural waistline in the front and radiates out.  Cold water will stop it immediately if I catch it quick enough...if not I end up having what feel like contraction/labor symptoms...where I have to square breathe and lay down immediately after downing the water for it to stop reasonably soon.  I am 45 now and I began having these "issues" when I was 14 years old.  When I become somewhat dehydrated these occur more regular...and if I take Ibuprofen it will cause this to happen within an hour or so of taking them.  Cold water is the best but I've been desperate before and drank any kind of liquid, including coffee to stop these things in their tracks.  It's miserable and I've always associated it with kidney trouble.  I have had my gallbladder removed and had my liver checked so it isn't any of these...no esophagus issues, heart or lung issues either.
Hi Group,
I'm a 61 y/o woman and have had this issue for years and years. The first time it happened, it was just horrible and I now think after all these years it may have something to do with sitting for a while in same position. The first time I got this I was sitting for over a few hours sewing. I get them quite often sitting at my computer at work. I sometimes get them in the night as well, and I am a side sleeper. Water is the only thing that works. I have come to the realization that it is not life threatening, only feels like it is.
The dehydration theory is interesting, as the only time I love to gulp water is when this happens!
Interesting to read all these comments!
My mother is 75 years old and was complaining of chest pressure, I'm in the medical field and my first concern of coarse was cardiac.
Her back round; Does not see a doctor regularly, ideal body weight, plays tennis, badminton almost daily, does not have any health problems, does not take any prescribed medication, eats healthy, always drinks water, minimal caffeine, does not smoke.
A few days of this intermittent chest pain she called me at work and wanted to see somebody about it (that meant it was serious) She had passed out at home, was pale and diaphoretic, short of breath and having chest 'pressure'.
I took her to the ER and b/c of her symptoms they rushed her to do a cardiac cath...It was perfectly clear. Come to find out her blood count was extremely low, she received blood and stayed in ICU with continued chest pressure..They then did a upper and lower scope to find source of bleeding. Her upper scope showed some AVMs that probably were bleeding and burned them. She was taking alka seltzer 'original' for her chest pressure thinking it was heart burn. (A lot of aspirin)
She continued to have pressure through her 5 days in the hospital, they knew it wasn't her heart and felt it was GI related even though her scope didn't show anything and for her to see PCP.
We got home and she was taking prilosec OTC, not eating after 6pm, changed her diet to the normal reflux diet: no caffeine, spicy food, acidic food, chocolate, alcohol, milk bla bla bla. She continues to have this and she said the only thing that relieves pain is water.
It doesn't matter if she eats, doesn't eat, exercises, sitting, and happens sometimes at night.
We went to my PCP and all her blood work is normal. They put her on carafate which didn't change anything and then wanted to send her to cardiologist.
I know it isn't GERD, or anything with her heart.
After reading all the threads, she does carry some stress which can increase stomach acid, except if your on meds for that...But the increased pressure on diaphragm, d/t stress (tightening abd muscles), and things like sitting hunched over, shouting, waking up with it in the middle of the night(increased pressure on diaphragm when lying versus sitting or standing). Also interesting that someone inadvertently had relief from flexeril, a muscle relaxant.
So increase pressure on diaphragm increases pressure on lower esophageal sphincter, which may cause spasms. That would make sense that the 'cold' water would 'instantly' relieve the symptoms. If it was dehydration it would not instantly be relieved the second the water hits the esophagus. It take 2hours for clears to be emptied from the stomach.
I googled esophageal spasms and it can feel like sudden, severe chest pain that lasts from a few minutes to hours. They don't know the cause.
As previous people have blogged on taking this med or that med, that may or may not work with the consequences of those side effects or pursuing  a gastroenterologist for treatment with low success rates. It's obvious people have tolerated this problems for many years.
For me and my mother she doesn't have any coronary artery disease, she doesn't have reflux, we are not having problems drinking or eating, no food coming up into the mouth. She has chest pressure 1-2 week. The thought of the time, money and stress involved in persuing something that probably won't be remedied. We feel content in that there is a cheap simple cure for that which is just simply drink water.
If your symptoms are severe and you are not able to function day to day, go to a good gastroenterologist, they probably won't be able to see anything with a scope but maybe with barium swallow or by esophageal manometry, and then see if anything they do or prescribe help and let us know...
Good luck!
Interesting to read all these comments!
Good luck!
DeBug,

Have you ever been tested for being lactose intolerant?  I am not a doctor, just someone with similar symptoms, and someone who has always been a little "over-panicky" about my health.  Because of this, I have done a lot of reading and talking to doctor friends of mine over the years.  I have concluded that health issues are almost always triggered by what you are putting in your body.  I am 48 and only recently discovered that I am lactose intolerant.  I also have GERD.  Guess what?  I finally learned that when I eat right (and eat less), stay away from dairy, and limit my coffee/soda intake, I never have the chest tightness, the pains, the bloating, or the acid reflux.  Now if only I could sustain such proper eating & nutritional habits more consistently!  Again, I am not a doctor, just offering my opinions and experiences.
DeBug,

I have been suffering with this for a year or so and at first thought I was having a heart attack. The pain is intense and it feels like I have a lump of glass wedged in my throat, the pain radiates up my jaw. I have lupus and sarcoid so my body is out of whack anyway, but interestingly I had an attack while I was having a CT scan and it was torture laying there without my water. Nothing at all slowed up on the CT scan, my heart was fine but I had to drink pints of water before I had the scan, I drink all day long as I have a dry mouth all the time. It happens day or night and until today I thought it might just be me.

I am a practice manager at a doctors surgery, so I will be having a conversation with my colleagues and will post any thoughts or ideas here tomorrow. I personally am never dehydrated, and the simple way to see if you are is to pinch the skin on top of your hand and see how long it takes to smooth out. The longer it takes the more dehydrated you are.

I take lots of medication, including two drugs to stop acid build up and reflux, so I don't know how I get this searing pain.

I hope to be able to get some doctors views.

Take care all of you

Cindy
I have this painful issue as well and I have also been fortunate enough to have survived a severe heart attack. I have experienced the same symptoms as others here and I have found that any liquid will do in a pinch. I have had to drink warm 3-day-old soda and salt water before because the pain is unbearable. I have also noticed that the longer it takes me to get liquids the longer it takes to recover fully from an episode. To me, it feels like my bronchial system in the center and to the right is drying out and the pain is caused by more dry air being drawn through an area that is severely dehydrated already. If I force myself to burp, it lessens the pain for a few seconds because it causes an influx of moist air to the area.
I personally have no change in frequency of episodes as it relates to exercise or rest. I have been experiencing these painful episodes for over 20 years and gone through various tests, prescriptions, dietary changes, etc. to try to find the cause with no luck. I agree with your logic however, as clearly all of us must share a commonality that we may be able to reveal. For example, I have taken a lot of acetaminophen (Tylenol) over the years. I have been prescribed Darvocet for pain before it was recalled several years ago. These are just a couple of possibilities to be considered.
I too have these sudden 'attacks'.  As a matter of fact I was just woken up by one in the middle night and Googled it and came upon this forum.  I thought it might be indigestion but it is so painful I break into a sweat and lose my breath.  I have been trying different things and I find it occurs when I have eaten fatty or greasy food and a few times with cashews.  When I have been on a natural vegan diet without greasy/fried foods I never have this problem.  

I have been visiting with relatives and went off my normal diet,  I ate chili, turkey with gravy, potatoes with butter, ice cream and even some kielbasa and it was the worst attack I have had.  Of course, cold water helps, normally within minutes, but this time it took about 1/2 hour of drinking cold water to alleviate the pain.  I am not 100% certain it is diet related but certain enough, after this episode, that I am going to try to go back to the vegan diet.  I never want to feel pain like that again.  

(I live in rural area in Canada but the medical system is so overburdened here that I cannot get adequate help and I do not want to rely on prescription drugs that barely work [but I think they prescribe them just to shut me up.  They were making me feel like I was a hypochondriac.]  I prefer to try and find natural solutions.)
My episodes seem to have increases since taking anti inflammatory med...naproxen. Anyone else have this good fortune!?
I am a 70 year old female from the UK.  I have been suffering exactly the same pain as described by everyone else for around 20 years.  I can go months or sometimes as long as a year without an attack.  For me, tthere are several  things that precipitate it:  
Being out in the very cold weather (rare), taking an anti inflammatory (again, rare), stress (common), leaning over to one side for a long time (not that common).  
I know another female of my age who suffers the same and had put up with it for years until she discovered the cold water solution.
I am a 60 year old man who has had this for 20+ years.  I use cold skim milk for instant relief.  I have more to say on this topic but I will post later when I have more time.
It is a stabbing pain that starts below my right shoulder blade and continues up through the back of my throat, around my jawline and into my head. Ice cold water stops it instantly. I've consulted with 2 doctors, both disinterested, but one suggested it is a nerve that is getting "lit up" with a pain signal and happens to run through the back of my throat. He believes the cold water numbs the nerve enough to stop the pain instantly.

There is no pattern I can discern. It happens when I'm standing, sitting, or laying down, awake or asleep, when active or at rest, hydrated or dehydrated. I may go 6 months without an attack then have it once a day for a week; then go a month then have it once. It's very random. One doctor gave me a muscle relaxer but it doesn't help. But I've found that Ibuprofen does dull it somewhat. Aspirin and Tylenol don't seem to help at all.  
i have the same problem and i always thought it was linked to smoking up. what is this? please help!
I too suffer from this pain but Flexeril doesn't stop it for me.  I have chronic lower back pain so I take this medication 3 times a day but I still suffer with this pain regularly.  I do drink cold water to get rid of the pain.  I also have been without water so I take 3 or 4 baby aspirin and that will do the trick as quickly as the cold water.

TBer5013

TBer5013