Severe Muscle cramps
I have been tested for everything from potassium, iron etc.... and although I am anemic and on iron pills nothing and I mean nothing stops the SEVERE cramping I get in my inner thighs and calves. Its not even cramping ... its the pulling of my muscles so tight that the area affected visably has this concave area where it is happening until it brings me to tears and I can barely walk. It is truly worse than labor and if I could slice my wrists during it I would lol.... I have tried ( suggested by a nurse ) salt under my tongue, eating bananas but NOTHING helps me. I am convinced there is something else wrong. I can live with alot of things and handle pain like a trooper but this is NOT something I can endure my whole life, I am certain of that. What could be the cause, or what tests should I be taking?
Hi Judie,

Welcome to the Pain Management Forum. I am very sorry to hear about the cramping you are having in your inner thighs. I've had it too and know how very painful it can be. It happened to me several times when I was driving or traveling in the passengers seat. I would have to stop and stretch and rub the muscle and as soon. On one specific trip as I returned to to van the spasms would begin again. We had to stop early for the day to rest that inner thigh muscle. So I understand the pain and inconvenience it can bring.

It sounds like they have checked for vitamin deficiencies. Did they include a Vit D and B12 level? My cramps (or spasms) had two contributing factors. One, I wasn't drinking enough fluids. I take a diuretic. Two, my vitamin D and B12 levels were dangerously low. I rarely experience those cramps since I remember to drink several glasses of tap water a day and take the physician prescribed Vit D (50,000IU) supplements and monthly B12 injections. On the rare occasion that the cramps return I take a muscle relaxant with a drink a bottle of water with electrolytes and they subside quickly.

What causes muscle cramps is not a certainty. It use to be thought that is was basically due to an electrolyte imbalance, dehydration or extreme exercise. That theory still exists. However the newer theory that is holding some merit and gaining more acceptance is called the "altered neuromuscular control" hypothesis. It is beleived to be by some the principal pathophysiological mechanism that leads to exercise-associated muscle cramping (EAMC). In that theory the muscles become fatigued which results in a disruption of muscle coordination and control. So slow muscle strength building may help in controlling or eliminating cramps or spasms.

You may want to find a sports medicine physician and discuss this with him/her if your PCP has ruled out all other factors. I wish you the best and hope you will let us know how you are doing. I will look forward to your findings and progress. We all learn from one another. Take care.

Peace,
Tuck

So sorry to hear about your problem and it sounds exactly like my problem. Have you noticed if you get the cramps more on one side of your body?  It just feels like the muscle in my inner legs are being stretched from ankles to deep in the groin. It's awful but I was given Quinine Sulfate by my former Dr.(retired now) and no one wants to prescribe it. Where shall I start? Many thanks
Did you ever find out about your severe cramping?
I have the same thing going on. It's like a plunger grabbed on to my thigh
and calf and won't let go..goes on for about 10-15 minutes. Walking wouldn't help only hot clothes did the trick. my doctor ran test and it was all normal. Started taking all of these vitamins she suggested and they make me nauseated. Thanks for your share. I thought I was crazy
Nancy D
***@****