Pain Management Community
Severe limb pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Severe limb pain

I had a fairly bad motorcycle accident broke a bunch of ribs some fingers.  I recovered from the ribs but when I stopped taking pain medication I started having severe pain in my legs ,feet ,hips and lower back. It has now spread to my upper arms to the point where I tear muscles in my arms just trying  to get out of bed.  The only relief comes from high dose pain meds and sleep but as soon as I wake up I have to start the pain meds again.  It is possible that his accident triggered an adult form of MD ?
Hi Popeye,

Welcome to the Pain Management Forum of MedHelp. I am sorry you are having such pain, especially at such a young age. Pain has no age barriers. It jus doesn't seem right because you have so much life ahead of you. Here's what I have found.....

Muscular dystrophy is a group of inherited diseases that are characterized by weakness and wasting away of muscle tissue, with or without the breakdown of nerve tissue. There are nine types of muscular dystrophy, with each type involving an eventual loss of strength, increasing disability, and possible deformity.

The most well known of the muscular dystrophies is Duchenne muscular dystrophy (DMD), followed by Becker muscular dystrophy (BMD).

Becker MD has the following symptoms: Generalized weakness and muscle wasting first affecting the muscles of the hips, pelvic area, thighs and shoulders. Calves often are enlarged. BMD is similar to Duchenne muscular dystrophy but often much less severe. There can be significant heart involvement.

It's caused by incorrect or missing genetic information that prevents the body from making the proteins it needs to build and maintain healthy muscles. I CAN NOT find any thing that suggests trauma can precipitate it's onset. That doesn't mean it can't happen as my research is limited.

Most importantly you need to consult with your physician and discuss the medical issues you are having. You are very young to have Fibro but I just read a post in the last week from someone who was diagnosed with Fibro at the age of 11.

Please make an apt with your physician asap. And please keep in touch and let us know how you are doing. I wish you all the best and take care, Tuck

Tuck has given you some great advice.
I urge you to have the proper test and see your Dr to find out what is definitely causing your pain and then talking to your Dr about the options available to you.
Your description of the pain your experiencing certainly sounds very painful and life altering. When pain interferes with our life it is time to do what we can to make the pain better and do not stop until we do. I wish you the best of luck and hope you will keep us posted:)