Severe pain/burning in left side of my back, with numbness around area and a lump
am 43 yrs old, after hearing from me you will probably feel that I am a hypochondriac. I'M NOT, the pain I have is VERY REAL. Approximately 4 yrs ago I was diagnosed with Fibro Myalgia, so since then I have learned to deal with alot of the pains in my body , well, I p... [More] retty much ignore and just simply deal with them taking all different kinds of over the counter pain meds. But about 1 1/2 yrs ago I got a bad pain in my back area (left side) after a couple of months the area has developed a lump and the outer area is numb, yet itches alot and very hard to scratch (being numb and all). But as time has gone by the pain has become completely unbearable. I consider myself to have a very high tolerance for pain but right now I just can not take it anymore, and am asking what could this be, also along with the pain is a strong burning sensation in that area. I don't really feel that it is my back because certain ways that I move I can actually feel the lump push in towards my stomach. It has really disturbed my sleep, and makes me feel like a wimp. I don't like it and just wondered if I could get answers. I am going to the Dr. tomorrow but I know I will be sent on a scavenger hunt of Drs. and that just makes me want to give up and learn to deal but I presently am taking about 4000 mg of Tylenol and sorts to get me through the day and I know that isi not good but I have to take something to give me a little relief.
More about me is I have been a smoker for 33 yrs. ( I know, very BAD), I DO NOT drink.I am 5'5" and 252lbs (yes extremely overweight), I have had a full hysterectomy (5 yrs ago), gall bladder removed about 11yrs ago, and surgery on my left shoulder. I am a kennel manager and walk dogs for a living anywhere from 20 to 200 in house (work that is) so I do exercise, but the physical aspect of my job has become quite a challenge, just need help! [Less]
Hi Dee,
Pleas don't ever feel like your a hypochondriac or be afraid you will be labeled one here because your not and we certainly understand your pain and we all understand what your going through. I hope you will see the Dr very soon with this lump your describing, it could be a disc bulging or a tumor of some kind or maybe even a spider bite. Does it feel hot to the touch , you also say it is numb but itches and those things describe a spider bite. I would not take my word for it you need medical assistance soon as you can. When you do see the Dr tell him the amount of tylenol your taking with no relief and also I would find a Pain management Dr to help with your fybromyagia. It is very hard to deal with that kind of pain and you really shouldn't it makes it hard on you and it is hard on your body being in that kind of pain day in day out. I have fibro and I would not make it without my meds.
I hope you will keep us posted:)
Hi Dee, Glad to see you here! Your story sounds alot like myself except for the Fibro. I have had back issues since I was 26, I am 47 now. I have undergone many Back Surgeries leaving me with some relief but after years of problems, I developed a lump on the right lower sacral region which was very painful and at times itched very much. I went to countless specialists, had many x-rays, CT scans, even hospitalized to bring my pain undercontrol and my BP-heart rate down. Finally after maybe 2-3 years an orthopedic surgeon diagnosed this as a hardened muscle mass & scar tissue that had developed from the constant muscle spasms. I guess this kind of mass does not easily show up on x-rays or CT scans. I cannot have an MRI due to the hardware in my back. Anyway, I had it removed, yae!  From what I understand, that thing was huge! It was growing in all directions. The Surgeon was suprised. To end this story, the surgery worked. It gave me much needed relief. The problem now is that it is starting to grow back. It will take some time but will eventually have to be removed again. My muscles spasm constantly. Well, I hope I was of some help. Please take care, Mollyrae
I haven't heard of this mollyrae, thank you for sharing this as it could very well be the problem. This is a great example of what our community is about. Our personal experiences can and does help others and just by sharing them we educate others and help them too. Thanks!
I am sorry to hear yours is coming back and causing you pain:(