Pain Management Community
Severe pain in hands at night.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Severe pain in hands at night.

New member here. Saw many posting that seem to have same issue I have and would like to hear your thoughts as to what it may be.
Every night, when I lay down, my hands go numb and hurt like crazy! I can't remember when I've slept over an hour. Sometimes it is the last 3 fingers (pinky through middle) and others it's thumb through middle. Happens on both hands. Also feel it starting at elbows it seems. At times it shoots like a shot of electrical current.
Lately it is almost constant even while I'm awake and setting up at my desk.
Help!!! What is this?
Carpal Tunnel . . . Had it a few years back.  If you can change the way you work with your hands, it will go away on it's own.  If changing your work habits are not feesible, surgery can correct the problem.  It depends on how bad it bothers you.  I did not have the surgery.
Are you leaning your arm in between the elbow and the wrist on your desk...sometimes that happens if your typing for long periods of time...maybe you should use a pillow to support your arms while at your desk...try some mucle rub also before you sleep it should relieve the tention and numbness...
Sounds like carpal tunnel ... do some research.  Have heard different things on the surgery.  Would write more but having a lot of hand issues myself and it's hard to type.
The pricky sensation in in the thumb, index finger, middle finger and half of ring finger certainly indicate involvement of median nerve which is most commonly involved in carpal tunnel syndrome.
however if u feel such sensation in elbows, the median nerve may be involved somewhat higher up.
Its best that u see a doctor as soon as possible
I had carpal tunnel syndrone in both hands and the only way you get relief is to fine  a really good surgeon. It is no big deal sugery I did't think but every one is different. But do a little research but it really sounds like Carpal Tunnel. It is really painful more at night and I don't think it will go away . Hope I helped a little bit.
Hey folks! Sorry for not responding earlier. Almost forgot I joined and wrote this until I got a reminder email. Anyway, thanks so much for your answers. Sounds like everyone believes it's carpel tunnel. (And maybe it is!) I don't think I mentioned it before but I have neuroparhy in my lower extremeties. Have had it for 7-8 yrs now. I have just seen a new pain mgt Dr and he has ordered MRI for both upper and lower back. My former pain mgt Dr thought it could be my neuropathy getting worse and now moving to my upper extrems. God I hope not. I just barely make it out of bed to go to work as it is now!
Anyway, I guess we'll see what the MRI reveals. My new Dr says he things its deep nerve damage. I forgot what he called it but I remember it sounded like the word "reticulating". Thats not it but it sounded very close. Ring any bells to anyone?
Again, thanks so much for your responses.
Are you thinking radiculitis?
Absolutly! Thank you. That is what the Dr called it. That is why he is sending me for an MRI of both upper and lower back. I looed it up and it says that it can also cause "hyperesthesia.". Maybe that's what is causing the pain. I sure hope he figures it out.
Thanks again!