Severe pain in left bottock
I'm a young woman with muscular dystrophy - within the last few years, I've developed sciatica and have been on a pain managment regiment for nearly two years and have kept the pain down for the most part. A few days ago, out of the blue, my tailbone began hurting as I lied in bed. I came to figure out it wasn't my tailbone, but a place right above my rectum on the left side. The pain is very, very severe - it is at it's worst when I lay either on my right or left side and I cannot sleep without taking hydrocodone. As I type this, it feels as though someone's holding a hot coal to my butt!

I go in for X-rays on the 22nd of this month, but in the meantime would like to have an idea of what this is. Some facts: I sit in a wheelchair most of the day, I've had a spinal fusion, I am on tramadol for pain in my legs caused by sciatica - not from anything in my back, but the doctor says nerves have been compressed due to my sitting all of the time. I've gone through a number of different seats for my wheelchair.
My Dear,

First let us welcome you to the Pain Management Forum and we want you to know how happy we are that you have joined us here. We are all CP (Chronic Pain) Patients and we share with each other the different experiences we have had with the Vastly different pains that we all have endured. We hop that you will be an active member and share some of the things that you have found that have worked for you with the people that post on here.

I'm so sorry that you are having to endure increasing pain along with everything that you are having to encounter everyday.  When your Dr. said that your nerves have bben compressed due to sitting in all of the time, I would imagine that there's a VERY good chance that that is where the additional pain is coming from.

I'm glad that they are going to do X-rays on the 22nd. I know that it's extremely difficult to wait until then, but I'm hoping that the X-rays will give you some answers. If not I hope that he will possibly do more extensive testing, MRI, etc.

There will be others who will post in awhile that will be much more knowledge than I am that will be able to help you more.

Again I'm so happy that you have found us and I hope that you will be an active part of our Forum.  Welcome, and we look forward to all of your updates after you have the X-rays....Sherry
i am so sorry for your pain. the x-rays should show what is going on, like your dr said it is probably from the nerves being pinched together. there hopefully is something you can do to help prevent it from getting worse and hopefully they can help stop the pain.... i feel for you i hope you are better soon. i am sorry i couldn't have been more help.
I am so sorry you have been in so much pain. I hurt my back a few years ago and I also hurt the nerves going down my legs and in my butt. I think nerve pain is the worse pain that I have been thru. Now I have nerve damage in my face that i am fighting. I hope your able to find out what is going on when you get your x-rays. It makes things worse when your in pain all the time and you don't know why so I hope you are able to find what is wrong so it can be treated. Have you been on any nerve meds like Neurontin? Some people like me can't take them cause of the side effects and weight gain.
I wish you the best,
Jamie