Pain Management Community
Severe pain right side torso when I cough especially

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

am just getting over a bad cold or flu - Part of it was a wicked hacking dry cough that hurt badly when coughing. Almost like a bronchitis cough. Its seems to be getting better finally - but yesterday I had one more bad coughing episode during which I actually felt a snap or pop in my right lung/right rib cage area. It is just about in the center right side of my torso, below my chest and above my stomach - almost dead center on my right side - After that cough and the "pop" or snap, I have had just Unbearable pain in that one area - so bad I cannot even let myself cough, because the pain is so severe. What can this extreme pain be? Pulled muscle, bruised or fractured rib, infection spot in right lung, ??? I just don't know. Maybe someone out there has had this and knows, or a medical person has diagnosed what this is. The severe pain occurs if I cough now, and also if I move my right side or right arm, get in/out of car, reach or lift with right side, almost any movement, even in/out of bed or sofa. I am very scared at this point, the pain is so bad. The only time it does not hurt is if I sit perfectly still in one position - God forbid a cough or sneeze comes on, it is like some one keeps shoving a big knife in the center of my right side. Please help - anyone ?
Hello RJP,

I apologize it has taken my awhile to respond to your post. Welcome to our Pain Management Forum. I am sorry that you are in such acute pain.

If you are still having the type of pain that you described seven hours ago I encourage you to seek medical attention. You are correct. You could have pulled a muscle. However there are other things that could be going on and only a clinical exam can determine what those may be.

Please let us know how you are doing. I will look forward to your next update.
Take Care, Tuck