Pain Management Community
Sharp Elbow pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Sharp Elbow pain

I am a 21 year old female from Cheshire UK. I have recently been suffering with a sharp constant pain in my little finger on my LEFT hand and in my elbow and wrist on my RIGHT arm. The pain lasts between 30 seconds to a minute and occurs approx 5 times a day. I have been suffering from this for the last week and often causes me to wake up during the night. I have tried rubbing the area and moving my arms but nothing soothes the pain. It comes and goes suddenly. I have had no injury to either of my arms and there is no obvious reason to why this is happening. I have been looking online and I think the pain is located in my Ulnar nerve in my elbow. I also have very mild version of this pain throughout my arms and hands on both sides, especially on my right. Any help and advice with this would be much appreciated. I do not do any drugs, do not drink alcohol at all and have no other health issues. But I do smoke 20 cigarettes a day. Thank You. Zoe.
Hi!  Have you seen a doctor about this?  If not, I definitely would.  It could be anything from nerve entrapment to bone spurs.  But all that is a guess and of no help to you.  Please make an appointment with a doctor.  That's the only way you'll get to the bottom of your problem.  Good luck to you.
I've booked an appointment today, so lets see what happens.
I hope the doctor finds out what is going on. I suspect you have a nerve problem. Please let us know how it goes:)
Oh good.  I'm glad you're seeing a doctor.  Please let us know what he/she says.  You seem so young to be having these problems.  I really hope it's nothing serious.
Hey guys, went to see my GP and she didnt have a clue what is going on? She felt over my hands, arms and fingers to make sure I could feel where she was touching and made sure my muscles were ok. So I left with the advice just to take paracetamol and ibuprofen (which don't help). Since my last post, the pain has spread all over my forearms, hands and fingers in various different places. It is typically worse when sitting down in a fixed position. The days after my last post I just relaxed and the symptoms seems to calm down, until I spent a full day typing on my computer, driving and playing xbox 360 games... This made it a lot worse all night and the next morning, it even hurt to drive. It usually stops hurting when I stop doing the certain things that make it hurt. After doing further research I feel that I may have carpal tunnel syndrome caused by repetitive strain from all the computer gaming that I usually do a lot of. Has anyone else suffered from carpal tunnel syndrome and is this usually how you feel after doing a lot of work with your hands.
oh and also forgot to mention that recently after driving, computer gaming etc my hands and fingers tingle and start to get numb until I stop doing it for at least an hour or two. :)
Hi Lpbabe:  I'm so sorry you're still hurting.  Not fair at your young age!  I'm not familiar with the British medical system.  Can you get a referral to an Orthopedist?  There is a rather simple out patient procedure that can be done for Carpel Tunnel.

Also, my doctors always think I have it but I always flunk their test.  (They look so disappointed in me, bless their hearts.)  Anyway, hold out both arms straight in front of you, parallel to the floor.  Make a fist of both hands.  Now, rotate both fists a 90 degree angle or parallel to your body. (straight down white both arms are straight and in front of you. )   Supposedly, if you can do this, you don't have Carpel Tunnel.  If not, you do.

Anyway, this is how they test me for it.  But DO NOT take what I'm saying as gospel truth.  You need to be evaluated by a doctor.

Let us know how this goes for you.  

Hey eveyone, been a while since I replied. Everything with my arms and hands is ok now. I do put it down to repetitive strain from the xbox 360 and particularly the wii fit haha. After relaxing for a week I felt a lot better. Thanks for all your posts. If anyone thinks they may have repetitive strain then you can chat to me on here if you want :)
There is another test for carpal tunnel that is easier to give you the youtube video than to explain it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLYsnD3JHfA
It sounds a lot like Carpal Tunnel to me, although it could also be Ulnar nerve.  I think they both affect different parts of the hand.  You could have both.  I've had issues with both.  For the ulnar nerve, relax with your arms straight as much as you can, that should ease the elbow pain.
I'm glad it's gone away a little for you.
Thank you for your update. So often we do not hear how the poster's is doing and it is so kind of you to let us know.

I hope you will continue to do well.

Take Care,
~Tuck