Pain Management Community
Sharp pain in knee

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Sharp pain in knee

I'm an 19 year old male and since the last week of August, I've had a sharp pain in my knee.  It's occurs in my left knee, on the inside.  It's very near to the platella, but I don't know if it's the tibia or the fibula.  It's the bone that kind of slightly juts out.  Anyways, it hurts to bend the knee and walking up and down stairs causes slight pain as well.  Any insight on the problem is appreciated.  Thanks for your time!

Devang
Hi Hendo,

Welcome to the Pain Management Forum. I am sorry to hear about your knee pain. At such a young age I urge you to consult with your physician.

In my opinion this pain is more likely to be a ligament or tendon issue, less likely a meniscus tear. Those are more common in your age group then an actual bone issue. However it should be evaluated. Please make an appointment for a consult with your PCP.

In the meantime avoid activity that is aggravating or increasing your pain. Remember RICE, Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation. You may want to try alternating heat and ice. Consider talking to your pharmacist for a good knee support or NSAID. BUT do not do this instead of consulting your physician.

Injuries or conditions that are caught and treated early have the best out comes. Pain is the method that your body uses to signal that something is not right. So don't ignore your body's message to you. Please let us know how you are doing.

Best of Luck to You,
~Tuck

Thanks for the feedback.  I've got an appointment with my University's physician on Monday, so hopefully things can get sorted out there.  

Devang
Hello again,

After speaking to my University physician, I was sent to a Sports Medicine doctor.  He wondered if I had a menicus tear because of the distinct swelling of my left knee near the patella.  My MRI was done in mid February which revealed an oblique medial meniscus tear.  I'm undergoing physiotherapy and getting orthopedics prior to considering arthroscopic surgery.  

Hendo_33