Pain Management Community
Sharp pain in second toe.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Sharp pain in second toe.

My second toe started hurting, kind of a sharp pain, almost like a needle poking. It turned slightly  red then a small bump came up and now it's a dark blue bruising. That is on my left foot. Now my big toe of my right hurts the same way but where it bends in the joint. At first I thought I had been bitten by a spider but now that it's on the other foot I'm not sure.
Hello Tdyork,

Welcome to the Pain Management Forum. I am glad that found us and took the time to post. However I am sorry to hear about the pain in your toes.

It sounds like you could be experiencing gouty arthritis. Gout is a systemic disease that is caused by the buildup of uric acid in the joints. It often effects the joints of the lower extremities including your toes. Is your toe(s) red, tender, hot and/or swollen joint. The metatarsal-phalangeal joint at the base of the big toe is the site most often effected, especially in an initial attack. Sometimes it can affect other joints.  

Gout is treated in various ways depending on the severity and frequency of the attacks. Some ppl eventually go on long term medication to control the uric acid deposits. One such medication is allopurinol.

Obviously I am not a physician and you should consult your PCP. There could be something else going on ....but Gout makes the most sense to me. This form of arthritis should not be ignored (nor should other forms) as over time it can damage joints. Until you consult your PCP, drinking lots of fluids to flush your system may be beneficial....unless contraindicated. Elevate your feet may help ease your pain. Talk to your local pharmacist about an OTC, NSAID. Finding out what purine rich foods or drinks is triggering your Gout will also be beneficial. If you have Gout you may be instructed to avoid foods that are high in purines. BUT you need a diagnosis FIRST...and should not rely on my assumptions.

Please share with us what your PCP has to say. I will look forward to hearing from you again soon and wish you the best of luck.

Take Care,
~Tuck