Pain Management Community
Shooting Pain in Head in a Question Mark Pattern

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Every now and then for more than a year, my mother (who is nearing 58) has had a shooting pain that begins at the very top of her head and then zaps down through her right eye, back to behind her right ear, and then down to her lower jaw and neck on the right side, much like a question mark.

Every time she visits the doctor concerning this, it's always the same thing: they throw out a variety of possibilities before recommending the usual painkillers. What could this be? What are the most likely possibilities? Is there a medication for this, or is some physical therapy nesessary?

On a possibly related issue, she also experiences numbness in her right hand during the early morning hours (usully while sleeping); and the bottom center of her left foot occasionaly feels pointed pains.

I know that's a lot, but any help would be greatly appreciated.
Hello Raedwald,

Welcome to the Pain Mangement Forum. Your mom is fortunate to have a concerned child. I am sorry she is hurting.

Has she had an MRI? If not I would suggest that she request one with contrast of her head and include her sinuses.  

Pain killers are fine if they make her more comfortable. In fact I am happy that her physician is willing to treat her pain. However in my opinion that is not fixing or finding the problem. An MRI will rule in or out a lot of possibilities and make her feel more comfortable with the remaining possibilities.

Her right hand symptoms could be carpel tunnel but again there are tests to diagnosis that condition. Those are the exact symptoms that I first experienced when I had CT. She could also have a cervical spinal structure problem. An MRI of her spine would provide you with more answers. It will also reveal if the symptoms in the bottom of her foot are spine structure related or just the way she may be resting on it.

In my opinion she needs a PCP that will not pooh-who her symptoms. If these are bothersome to her, which they apparently are she needs to have some a diagnostic work up. A caring and concerning physician will do that for your mom. She needs to be assertive and not take maybes or possibly for an answer.

I wish you the best and hope that you will ecourage your mom to get to the root of her pain producing issues. Feel free to let us know how she is doing or to ask additional questions.

Peace,
~Tuck  

Thanks a lot. I really appreciate your insight, and I will try to get her to have that MRI and see what comes of it. Thanks again.
Your welcome and I hope you will let us know how she is doing.

Best of Luck,
~Tuck