Pain Management Community
Side effects from pain meds or anesthesia?
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Side effects from pain meds or anesthesia?

I had been taking Darvocet-N 100 for a couple of days for some post-surgical pain after a breast biopsy. I didn't take any other medication besides the Darvocet and made sure to stay on the dosing schedule so I wasn't taking too much...I think the most I took was 5.5, and the maximum 24-hour dose is 6. but after a couple of days, I started having some upper abdominal pain and I decided to stop. It's now been about 2 days since I've stopped taking the drug, and I'm still having these pains...they come and go, but they're fairly sharp and in the center of my abdomen, above my belly button. I've also been burping a lot. The pain seems to get worse when I bend over or lean forward as well. I normally take Nexium, so I went back on that since stopping the Darvocet and also tried some Pepto Bismol, but the pains still come and go. I have no nausea and otherwise feel fine.

My questions are: Could Darvocet still be causing this stomach pain 2 days after I stopped taking it? Or maybe it's from the general anesthesia? I see all these warnings about liver damage about this drug, so I hope it's not that. Also, is this considered a common side effect, or should I talk to my doctor about this?

(Sorry for the multiple posts -- I accidentally chose the wrong topic initially.)