Pain Management Community
Smoking

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Smoking

I'll admit it ... I smoke.  I have for a long time.  I know it's bad.  What I'm wondering though (if anyone else smokes,) is does it seem like any of your meds make you smoke more?  I've noticed when I take my BT meds (oxycodone) that I smoke more ... but I tend to let them burn out.  Not sure if it's just mindless smoking or if I'm craving more or what???
I'm sorry, my Dear but I can't help you any on this one at all!!  

I've never smoked in my life. I'm sure that there are some on here tho that can help you.

(((HUGS!!)))........Mama Sherry
Oh God, they're going to send us to Smokers Anonymous!!!  Yes, I smoke as well but wish I didn't .  My problem is that I enjoy it!  And yes, sometimes I smoke more on the meds.
Oh girls I'm with you both...I've smoked for over 40 yrs. tried to quit so many times its become a joke. I have a love/hate relationship with those darn things.
But no I must admit I've never noticed increased cravings when I take any pain meds.
We do need a smokers anonymous don't we!!!!
I smoke and I do notice I smoke more when I'm on my meds. Well I take Wellbutrin and that makes me not want to smoke that much so when I take my pain meds it makes me want to smoke. So I guess I smoke my normal amount. Either way I need to quit!
I smoke cigars when I feel OK enough to do that but lately I haven't. Meds don't seem affect me one way or the other in relation to smoking.
I have read though that smoking can cause dehydration of spinal discs (dessication (desiccation)) and can keep a spinal fusion from growing together as its supposed to.
You know, I've noticed that almost to a person, the people who see my PMP all smoke.  The weird part is that many of the employees who work there do as well!  I definitely believe that there is a connection between spinal degeneration and smoking.

Thanks for your input!
Sara
Count me in the club.  LOL!  I finally got some gum a couple weeks ago, but still can't completely stop.  For now, I'm thrilled that I'm only a part-timer.  
I've NEVER been a smoker BUT my Dad was and DIDN'T quit until my Son, Chris, was one year old.  Then he quit because he was the ONLY person in our Family that smoked. He DIDN'T want Chris to grow up seeing him smoke, so he quit COLD TURKEY after 2 packs a day for FORTY YEARS!!  NEVER touched another cigarette the REST of his life. That was back in 1968 and her lived until 1994.

However, I was around ALL of that SECOND HAND smoke ALL of my life until I got married at 19 years of age.  I was diagnosed as needing a NEW hip at the age of 28 and they figured I'd had the Arthritis since I was in my middle teens ( approx 15 years old).

So I wonder if there IS dsomething to the Smoking / Spinal Degeneration Connection!!!

Just asking the question....Sherry
Guilty!! I also have smoked for a number of years .Like Sara said I enjoy it . I also have noticed that I smoke more on my meds. I have been trying to curtail this because they cost so much .I watch the clock and try not to smoke more than one an hour .Still, I cheat sometimes and smoke more especially if i am nervous or anxious .I would like to quit soon but I am not in the right mindset yet to do it .It's my only vice and i guess everyone has one . Melissa
I most definitely smoked more if I took enough pain killers to feel them.  Would chain smoke one after the other (instead of the normal every 15 mins.)  I quit smoking 3mos ago.  Not only did my pain levels go down, it also keeps me from taking too many meds since I don't want to trigger a craving.  

So y'all mean by smoking since age 14 is how my DDD throughout entire spine came about?  I did this to myself??? :(  
well, I know you can get DDD from other way's too - My 12 year old son had an MRI on his back and it shows DDD... at his age!!!  Hereditary???

He complains a lot about his back hurting.... and it's multi-level!

Hi Guys,

I just found this Link from ABC News;

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/PainArthritis/story?id=5185295

It's about Osteoarthritis and Smoking. They've seemingly found a link between the two!!
Ok.. I'll admit it.  The first step is admitting you have a problem, right?  I am actively trying to quit for obvious reasons, but I have tried and succeeded before only to go back to it.  I just got cleared by the doctor to use the patches.
I have also heard that smoking causes spinal problems and will cause a fusion not to heal well.  When I first started having this problem, I was told by one jerk doctor that my only problem was that I smoked and if I quit, my back wouldn't hurt.
Anyway... my dirtest secret is out.
My PM doctor told me that smoking does not help with arthritis and DDD because it does dry out the spinal disks. I've read several articles about this as well.
Oh my!!  Your 12 year old has it?  That's just awful.  I feel so sorry for him.  Poor little guy!
Oh, my Dear,

I'm SOOOO sorry that you 12 year old is going to have to face a LIFETIME of Pain!!

What are the Doctor's saying about it!!!
Smoking is very expensive.  I heard in some states it is $8 a pack?  I could be wrong, but that would be an insane price for a pack of smokes.  I use to smoke before I met my husband.  I was smoking just over a pack a day.  I did not tell my husband at the time that I smoked and I quit cold turkey.  I didn't tell my husband I smoked until after we were married.  It wasn't easy quitting, but I did it and I did not cheat.  I quit 11 years ago and it was the best thing I've done.  Growing up both my parents smoked and I'm sure that is why I started in the first place.  When I quit smoking I took up running right away.  That had to be the best decision I've ever made.  I love to exercise, especially running.

Wow Mummy, I'm so sorry for your son.  Is your son in a lot of pain?  That is a very young age to have DDD.
Mine are over $8 a pack. They will probably be over $10 before the end of the year.
CRAZY!  I'd be trying to buy them online at a cheaper price if possible.  That is an insane price.  I'm so glad I quit.  I felt so much better and I was no longer tired.  I remember smoking making me very tired.