Pain Management Community
Solved the Urinalysis Problem!!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Solved the Urinalysis Problem!!

Trazodone.  Trazodone will inhibit opioid metabolites from showing in your urine.  I can't believe it.  I take 100mg of trazodone every night for sleep, so when my doctor took my urine, tah-dah, no opiates.  Upon further research it would seem that it does not affect the analgesia of morphine or oxycodone.  Therefore the fact that ms contin doesn't help me with my pain is all me and my silly body.  So, for all of my friends out there, we have all learned an interesting lesson.  If you are taking opiates for pain management, and you are required to submit urine samples, you should avoid Trazodone (or any other polycyclic anti-depressant since they all do this) because it will cause your urine to appear clear of all opiates!!  I hope this will help someone avoid a potential disaster in the future.  Never give up!
DiSpine
Hi DiSpine,

Thanks for sharing. I am always very interested in information that may explain the false returns of drug screens. Our members have found this to be a very aggravating situation at best. I and others have done multiple searches to locate answers.  Can you share with us where you obtained the information as I can't locate it?  Maybe I am not reading correctly or searching in the wrong areas.

I've read this several times:

http://www.mayoclinicproceedings.com/content/83/1/66.full

The above link contains (in part) this information: "Results of amphetamine assays are often POSITIVE among patients taking prescription stimulants for attention deficit and hyperactivity disorder, for narcolepsy, and as anorexiants because many of these stimulants contain amphetamines.... Many psychotropic medications, such as bupropion,33,40 phenothiazines (eg, chlorpromazine, promethazine, and thioridazine),29,34 TRAZODONE,37 and TCAs (desipramine and doxepin),30,31 have been reported to interfere with immunoassays." .... and  ..."Other unique agents found to cross-react with the amphetamine immunoassay include labetalol,23 isometheptene,27 ranitidine,24,26,35 ritodrine,32 and trimethobenzamide.22,25 Structural similarities are the main reasons for the interference."  

I also found this when searching: "It has been recoded and verified in double-blind research experiments that Trazodone may show false POSITIVE benzodiazepine results on urine drug screens."  I don't know how true that statement may be but it's similar to what I keep finding.

I'd be very interested to read your information. I am delighted that you have found an answer. I'll look forward to hearing more from you.

Thanks,
~Tuck