Pain Management Community
Soma?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Soma?

Does anyone here take Soma, are they effective? I've taken Norco for a long time, I think I need to add a muscle relaxer to my pain man. regimen. Is Soma a muscle relaxer or a narcotic?

I've taken Skelaxin but it takes several doses over a period of a few days to get relief. I would like something that works a little faster.
Tags: soma, Pain, muscles
Soma is a muscle relaxer. I am on Norco an was on Soma a few months ago. I have muscle pain as well as arthritis and nerve pain in my back so the Soma did help with the muscle pain. Now that I'm not on Soma my back just burns with muscle pain. I really want to go back on it. Soma works right away when you take it. The only drawback is that it will make you sleepy.
I use Soma and as runitskat said, it is a muscle relaxer.  I find that it works pretty well for me and for me, it does not make me as sleepy as flexeril does (another muscle relaxer), but of course, everyone is different, so it may very well affect you differently.

I've also tried Skelaxin, but for me, it did absolutely nothing.
I was taking Soma, also.  I think it was very effective.  The dose I was on did not make me sleepy, but I took a half of a 350 tablet 4xdaily.  I definetly recommend adding a muscle relaxer if you have muscle pain.  I have severe muscle spasms and I am really hurting without a muscle relaxer.  Flexeril is also a good one, but that one will make you very sleepy at first.  I eventually got used to it to the point that it didn't make me sleepy, but it took a while of taking halves.
I tend to adjust to medication really quickly, though.