Pain Management Community
Spinal Cord Stimulator

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Spinal Cord Stimulator

This actually isn't a question.  Haven't had time to read all posts but just want to share my successes for pain management to you all.  After suffering from terrible arm pain from my multi level disk injuries I fianlly found a PM Dr. who was willing to work with me regarding all the pill issues etc.  He suggested a trial for a Medtronic Spinal Cord Stimulator along with my meds.  The stim was implanted in such a way that it was like an internal tens unit for my arm.  I use a remote that gets placed over the spot where the "generator" is implanted and I can turn it on, change the rate, impulse, intensity etc. and it saved my sanity!  I was able to back off a little on my meds and adjust when I had breakthrough pain.  This device is amazing (Just ask Jerry Lewis) and I would shout it from the mountain tops if I could.  Fortunately work comp. paid for it since I had an industrial injury but if I had to pay for it myself knowing what I know now, it would be worth it.  There is also an implantable drug pump but for my type of pain I was advised not to try that one.  After awhile you have to up the strength of the drug till you reach the top and then you have no where else to go so it becomes useless.  I stress that this type of implant (drug) isn't advisable for my problems but could be for some diseases and other issues.  I've heard that people with RSD can be helped by using the stim unit and like I mentioned above, you can do a trial for 1 or 2 weeks and if you don't think it helps then it can be removed right there in the doctors office.  I tend to hop up on my bandwagon when it comes to the stim unit, I really believe in it and if anyone thinks it might be worth a try than just ask their PM doc or go to the website for the stim unit.
Like you with your arm pain, I have an arthritic, degenerative spine, fibromyalgia and for years I had unbearable pain when I walked or stood for more than a few minutes.  I went through all the suggested treatments the doctors gave me, steroid injections twice, a lumbar laminectomy,  plus taking vicodin and ultram, but I still suffered terribly.  Then my P. M. doctor told me about the Medtronic neurostimulator and I read about what it could do for my pain.  I decided that was for me and I have been thankful ever since I had it implanted.  I still have to take my pain medicine, but at least, now I do not suffer as much as before.  I still have my good days and my bad days, but the good days outnumber the bad days.  I have never increased my medicines, I still take 3-7.5 mg. vicodin and 8 tramadol a day and I refuse to take more, and some days I even take less, which makes me very happy.  Mqrcie has already told you where to look for information, so I will not repeat it.  I hope this may help anyone living with constant pain in their spine.  God bless you.    
i also have a spinal cord stimulator implanted. i have r.s.d., mine was put in the wrong space. when i turn mine on, i get shocked all over. it has become a burden instead of a blessing. however the dr. i go to is going to put another one in in a different place. i take a lot of meds in hopes of getting a better quality of life. my nerves and bones are also degenerating,so i may not get much better. however if you scs is helping i wish you all the best.
does anyone have experience w/using stimulator for cronic (chronic) knee pain?  my dr wants to try one on me and i've not seen much on using it for that pain.
Chronic knee pain can be caused by a lot of things and since the stim unit can be positioned to go down the leg then I would say TRY IT on a trial basis, there isn't much to lose by trying!
  I have developed debilitating pain in both my wrists due to no cartilage left in them (osteoarthritis) and since my stim unit targets my left arm and hand I can turn it on and distract the pain from my wrist.  I can have it re-adjusted so the other wire I had implanted can help the right wrist.
I was told that the stim unit can be used for my terrible occipital headaches as well and am looking into that issue.
I wish you luck and hope you get relief.  I haven't been on medhelp for awhile so haven't kept up with any posts since my last.
don't ever give up hope.

You may want to send Maggiemay a personal message. This is an old post and she is probably not watching it. And you are so right...never give up,

Thank you for the response. Tuck
I have a SCS for lower back issues. I blew out 2 of my disks at L4-L5 and L5-S1 i have never felt pain like this before it was unreal. I had the trial unit put in and BLAM about 80% of the pain was gone. I wanted nothing more after that to have the unit installed. About 4 weeks after my trial unit i had the surgery done. Now I am at about 50-60% pain reduction but this i think will get better with a few more visits to have my Medtronic rep. adjust the unit. I have 16 lead paddle so there is alot of adjustments he can make to see if i can get better results. I had 2 surgeries before the unit was an option and both worked but after going back to work failed. I also started to get pain down my right leg ( left leg was the worst ) and with the unit and paddle i have installed they where able to get coverage on the leg and i have about 90% reduction in the right leg. This unit is with my results a great option to try i know that there are ppl that have had problems and knowing electronics like i do you have to keep in mind that componets fail if you fall on the area the unit is installed or just becuse i have seen it in the 15yrs that i have worked in the electronics field. It does happen and for anyone that has a unit that fails in some sort of way i am sorry that it happened and hope that you can find something that will help with you pain and discomfort. I am very happy with my unit as it makes it so i can do things with my kids and be the father i want to be for them. Good luck to everyone that has the unit or are looking to have it installed.
I have my knee replace couple years ago. however after the surgery i kept having pain. I have went thru many different of pain medicine for nocrotic to fenyanyl patch. but due to my body tolorence the dose keep increasing. recently my pain management doctor offer a try the Spinal Cord Stimulator. I wonder had any body with knee pain have tried? or to who ever who have this unit inplanted how does it? does it help the pain? please kind reponse. Greatly Appreciate!!