Pain Management Community
Spinal Lumbar Fusion???

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Spinal Lumbar Fusion???

I am having surgery on Oct. 29 and they are performing a spinal lumbar fusion. I am very scared because I have read some reports of people being in even more pain after. I have tried everything before deciding on going through with the surgery. I have been to chiropractors, my PCP, and Advanced Pain Management. I have had my back readjusted, trigger point injections, radiofrequencies and medication. To no avail none of them have helped much. I have a narrowed spine and herniated discs. I can barely walk 15 feet without my back starting to hurt. Can anyone please give me some helpful pointers because I am scared out of my mind. Just an FYI, I am a mother of 9 and 3 year old boys.
I truly hope that I can allay some of your fears.  I had spinal fusions on L4-L5 and L5-S1 on November 8 last year.  So it is 11 months today.  My feeling right now is that I sincerely wish it had been done a year before.  I have NO back pain unless I turn wrong and I have learned not to do that!  And it is minor anyway.  I had back surgery on 3-1-10 and everything was good until September of last year.  The first surgery was a laminectomy.  Recovery was great.  I flew to Vegas with my son 30 days later.  This last surgery has been harder with a few problems I wasn't expecting but my surgeon knew exactly how to cure them.  First off, the surgery disturbed numerous nerves that connected down my legs to my feet and I had a combination of restless legs and burning.  He prescribed Gabapentin and that finally went away.  The other problem was a very strong stinging pain across the surgical area and he prescribed physical therapy for that.  It took about 3 months of twice a week visits but I also had a wonderful therapist who knew exactly what to do.  Heat, TENS unit, massage, ultrasound and exercises.  I told my husband yesterday that I haven't felt this good in years.  I turned 74 last Tuesday. We had tried everything that you did except for the needling.  I had therapy before, pain pills, epideral shots.  (and weren't they fun)!  I really hope that you opt for the surgery and have an expert orthosurgeon and a good hospital.  I was only in the hospital 2 nights and he actually would have let me go the next day if I had wanted too.  The Dilaudin for pain was wonderful!!  If I can be of any further help please write to me!
If you've try all those treatments and you aren't any better, then you've done about all you can do. Can you see yourself living the rest of your life the way you are now?

I had fusion done at L4/5 about 12 years ago, so I know what you're going through. It is scary, and I'm not going to lie to you, the recovery is rough and you're going to have to spend a lot of time in rehab. But I don't regret it, now my neck, that's a different story. I could hardly walk before surgery, and I had almost 10 - 11 years before I had problems again. And I didn't have to have another surgery, my Chiropractor was able to help me.

There are some people that are worse afterwards, and you tend to hear more about them than the ones that are successful. I know several people that have had successful back surgery.

Are your various Doctors recommending surgery, what about your Chiro? There usually very anti-surgery?

I don't see the chiropractor anymore but my PCP and my Advanced Pain Management doctor and my Psych Dr all agree that this will help me in the long run.
Thank you for the encouraging words. It helped eliveate some of the fear. I would like to keep in touch with you and let you know how things go.